Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How or when we can see trucks identified on the screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it makes you feel any better, AP1 didn't do much with that information. It didn't give more room to trucks, or prefer to drive offset from neighboring cars if there's nobody else on the other side, etc. (I have a feeling those are the implied theoretical benefits to understanding trucks and adjacent vehicles)

Other than looking really cool to show off to your friends, the AP1 surrounding display didn't have much utility.

If it makes you feel any better, AP1 didn't do much with that information. It didn't give more room to trucks, or prefer to drive offset from neighboring cars if there's nobody else on the other side, etc. (I have a feeling those are the implied theoretical benefits to understanding trucks and adjacent vehicles)

Other than looking really cool to show off to your friends, the AP1 surrounding display didn't have much utility.

I had an AP1 MS for loaner for 2 weeks and I found the truck display (and the motorcycle display) kind of distracting. I see no benefit of showing them as a different display other than a car. It is not like you cannot see real thing outside your windows.

I had an AP1 MS for loaner for 2 weeks and I found the truck display (and the motorcycle display) kind of distracting. I see no benefit of showing them as a different display other than a car. It is not like you cannot see real thing outside your windows.

What most people say is "but it shows the car understands its surroundings which makes me feel more confident in it". I mean, that'd be great if it's true, but it always tended to draw an optimistic view of you driving past cars/trucks that are well within their lanes, regardless of whether or not that was true!

As cars start slowly drifting into your lane, AP1 didn't do much better than AP2 (heck right now I don't think it's better at all) in recognizing that situation and choosing the right time to either move over or slam on the brakes.

I definitely think it would benefit Autopilot to have awareness of surrounding cars and their actions. I just don't think AP1's eye candy display should be confused with situational awareness.

That's a bummer. now from your experience, what about being able to identify 2nd car in front of you, does that makes difference, do you feel the car stops the moment the 2nd car ahead of you stop? I'll try to record this so folks know EAP capabilities and features, couldn't find more info on that.

To I would think that the car knowing it's a truck, it can assume it's acceleration, braking, size etc.. which are very different from a normal sedan. But that might be 10-20 years from now. Maybe if all cars and trucks talked to each other would be best, besides relying only on visual recognition.

What most people say is "but it shows the car understands its surroundings which makes me feel more confident in it". I mean, that'd be great if it's true, but it always tended to draw an optimistic view of you driving past cars/trucks that are well within their lanes, regardless of whether or not that was true!

As cars start slowly drifting into your lane, AP1 didn't do much better than AP2 (heck right now I don't think it's better at all) in recognizing that situation and choosing the right time to either move over or slam on the brakes.

I definitely think it would benefit Autopilot to have awareness of surrounding cars and their actions. I just don't think AP1's eye candy display should be confused with situational awareness.

Yes, you are 100% right and that's what I am trying to figure out, WHAT the AP2 can see, and what they do with that info... so I can sleep confidently when on EAP haha. Hope nobody from Tesla is reading this. Jokes aside, I used to test a lot the i3 ACC so I could understand how it worked and how I could trust it or not.

That's a bummer. now from your experience, what about being able to identify 2nd car in front of you, does that makes difference, do you feel the car stops the moment the 2nd car ahead of you stop? I'll try to record this so folks know EAP capabilities and features, couldn't find more info on that.

Huge difference, that's actually a really awesome feature and works just as well on AP2 as on AP1, and is no gimmick.

When it's just showing a black 2nd car ahead, that means it's just tracking it for your awareness. In cases where you're following a huge truck that obstructs your forward vision, it gives you an idea of whether or not your lead car is tailgating someone unsafely, etc, so you can pick a distance accordingly.

But if the 2nd car in front rapidly brakes while you are in TACC/Autopilot, you will notice it change from black to white. In that case, it really does mean your car is slowing down in response to the 2nd car in front. I've had that bring me to a fairly graceful stop when my lead car was distracted. He ended up slamming on his brakes at the last minute and laying down tire tracks.

Reactions: Pkmmte
To I would think that the car knowing it's a truck, it can assume it's acceleration, braking, size etc.. which are very different from a normal sedan. But that might be 10-20 years from now. Maybe if all cars and trucks talked to each other would be best, besides relying only on visual recognition.

No it would be beneficial to the AI to know the difference. But you don't really know if the AI is doing anything about it. I am not sure it does anything. So it just gave the driver false confidence thinking the AI knows there is a truck so it will adjust things (braking, following distance, etc..) accordingly. But in reality, it probably doesn't nothing different than if it is a car there.

If anything, AP1 showing cars on the adjacent lanes probably the most useful. Once I got my car back after driving the loaner, I often wonder if my car's side cameras are working as AP2.5 does not display cars on the adjacent lanes.

A few days ago in my AP1 S, I saw a pickup truck do a rapid "dance" on my cluster where it jumped from being a car to truck to car about 15 times in a single second. I believe it was in the lane to my right, not directly in front of me in my lane.

My model 3 can see trucks and displays a truck graphic....
Running 2018.18.13 with EAP.
I drove behind a garbage truck today while on 2018.18.3, and it showed it as a car. Does it have to be a semi, for it to see a truck?

Upgraded to 2018.20.5 this afternoon, but haven’t tried it yet.

Wonder when we will get to see vehicles in adjacent lanes on the display? To me, that’s a higher wish.