Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Perfect is Your PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got my new S back from the aftermarket folks; tint (3M 20%), front wrap (SunTech), and Ceramic. Looks great and am looking forward to many years of riding pleasure.

However, they had to redo the hood PPF for some reason (prior to ceramic) , and upon final inspection under the garage lights, a couple of dust grains now show up under the hood film. Should I be making a fuss over them, or is that what is to be expected? If Tesla can't paint a car without a few flaws, should I be holding the shop to a higher standard? I'm interested in hearing what your experiences have been. Thanks!

Mine is perfect. There is no dust under because they use a wet application method.
The surface of your car should of been cleaned and then the wet solute should of been squeezed out when applying the PPF.

I got mine done at Sticker City.
I was very close at getting it done in RDBLA, but Dean at Sticker City managed to give me a better deal with Chrome Delete and Ceramic Coating on top.

I dont have any bubbles.
I did have some edges lifting, but again, they corrected it immediately when i went to pick up my painted emblems.

After installing Xpel myself over the front of mine I have a new appreciation for an installer who can put it on and have a perfect result with no dust and perfect edges. it is really hard to first have a work area that is clean enough so just walking around the car does not stir up small pieces of dirt that become airborne and stick to the underside of the film while placing the sprayed film on the car. And your hands need to be immaculately clean also. There are even specs of dust inside the nitrile glove box that can get on the film if you don't spray your hands off first. I deposited a few dirt specs and a small hair while applying the fender piece because I wiped my hand on my "clean" shirt before grabbing the edge of it and stretching it on the car. I noticed it and took off the piece and resprayed until they washed off, but what a pain it was. You need a lot of discipline to keep your hands not touching anything except the film and the cleaned body parts until finished.

Now if I paid someone else good money to have it done I would expect them to be able to do a much better job (i.e.:perfect) than me. Some of these guys make enough money doing this work that they can afford the same high-end cars they are working on. For that money spent it had better be perfect.