Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How stiff is the Performance Model ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really want to get the Performance Model, but my biggest concern is the 20" wheels.

#1 - Will the ride be too stiff? (coming from a BMW 3 series)
#2 - Will the wheels break/tires pop the first time i hit a pothole ? There are many where i live.

Thanks in advance.

Better off saving some $ and asking an advisor to find you a P3 without the red brakes and 20" wheels- these can't be ordered but are available to purchase from inventory when they're in stock (and they have been, pretty often, last few months)

1. For me, it’s comparable to an m340, but I tend not to be super sensitive about ride stiffness.

2. I live in the Bay Area where there are a ton of terrible roads and I haven’t had issues, although I do avoid a couple small streets because they’re so bad and it’s easy to do. I think the biggest risk is hitting a pothole at speed, which is something I avoid by not driving too fast on bad roads.

Reactions: bcpm3p
I really want to get the Performance Model, but my biggest concern is the 20" wheels.

#2 - Will the wheels break/tires pop the first time i hit a pothole ? There are many where i live.

Thanks in advance.

Such a subjective question...

If you're coming from a 320i with 65 series tires and the base suspension, the Performance will feel stiff.

If you're coming from an M-sport-suspended or M-car, the Performance will feel relatively cushy.

Any car with 35-series tires, regardless of wheel size, is more susceptable to tire/wheel damage - drive to avoid the potholes and you should be fine.

Reactions: raptor5244

Thanks in advance.

I used to own a 328i w/ M-Sport pkg. It is less stiff than that. Honestly, it doesn't really feel like sport suspension to me. I find the ride rather soft and comfortable and I'm coming from a 535i sedan that is super cushy. There really isn't a big difference to me between the stock 5 sedan and the M3P w/ 20" wheels. Since I drive it to work daily, it really is just the right blend of sport and comfort, with more emphasis on comfort than sport in my opinion. All of this is subjective of course.

Just get it. The way it scoots will make you forget about any second thoughts you had and the 20's look great.

Thanks everyone.

For the folks who have the stealth model, did you order an AWD/P3 first and then ask your SA to find a stealth, or did you reach out to your local SC before ordering ?

Thanks again.

I just had the SA do a search and find me the P3D- I wanted. The SA then initiated the order, using my referral link for the free supercharging which is important, and sent me the link to complete the online process.

I couldn't tell the difference in ride quality between the P3D- (what I bought) and the P3D+ (what I test drove). That said, you have a lot more tire choices with the 18s so going with P3D- you can always change to a tire that improves the ride (likely with a drop in performance). I would say the P3D- ride is relatively stiff but not objectionable for a performance car. If you looking for a ride that is more on the luxury side of things, that likely isn't going to happen no matter what tires you put on it (maybe one of the coilover kits might help).

Ive had a 135 435 and a f80 m3 and I would say the Performance pack feels the same as the 135 and 435 with m sport suspensions which i felt always needed to be stiffer. Honestly the soft seats make up for any large hits and it ends up feeling softer overall.

Im currently looking at options to make it stiffer.