Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How stiff will the ride be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read Motor Trend's review indicating that the ride was very stiff. At first I wasn't too concerned, but now I realize my wife will not be happy if it is very bumpy and probably won't let our daughter ride in it. Probably would still get the car, but would limit its usefulness.

She hates the ride quality of the Mazda RX8. How do you think the Model 3 will compare (assume 18" tires)?

Well, they give an example: "Alfa Giulia (maybe even Quadrifoglio)–firm" . WarpedOne's option of lowering the tire pressure could help, although it'll hurt your range. Another option might be a set of 17" rims, although there's no factory option for that.

Yeah don't get the bigger wheels, that will help. Also depends on the tires, but I doubt they'll give you options on that. I have springs and 19" rims on the S60 and the ride is firm but not jarring. Kiddos (6 and 8) and wifey have no complaints.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I read Motor Trend's review indicating that the ride was very stiff. At first I wasn't too concerned, but now I realize my wife will not be happy if it is very bumpy and probably won't let our daughter ride in it. Probably would still get the car, but would limit its usefulness.

She hates the ride quality of the Mazda RX8. How do you think the Model 3 will compare (assume 18" tires)?
Your wife won't let your daughter ride in it if it's too bumpy? Wow, sounds like you have much bigger issues than a car's suspension.

if the car suspension is more stiff, than it would be less bumpy.(less suspension travel = less bump)
Without getting too deep into semantics, stiff suspension is harsher and often referred to as bumpy.
Suspension tuning is an art. It is a balance. Each manufacturer finds their own recipe for what they think is desirable for their target audience. Cadillac goes for softer. BMW tends to go sportier. I personally prefer a comfortable, yet sporty feel. I've never purchased a BMW, but have driven them and think that for my tastes it's a good match to what I prefer. You won't know how the model 3 is balanced until you either drive one yourself or someone with perspective tells us. The article that the OP refers to has me optimistic. I also agree that if you're concerned about ride compliance then stay away from the 19" wheels.

If it's well tuned, stiff can mean sporty but not harsh. I expect it to be about a BMW 3 series with M-sport suspension. This is more stiff than a regular 3 series suspension (which is pretty soft) but more comfortable than M3 suspension (which some do call harsh). I think 3 series M-sport suspension offers great ride quality and good handling, a really good middle ground.

If you have driven or rode in one, you ll know it's infinitely better than a Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima (or equiv).