Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 inch vs 20 inch wheels ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation is that I'm only end of year 1, and I expect to own this car for another 5 years. I seem to be driving at the rate of more than 30k miles per year. That's a lot of tires to go through before I trade in this car.

I'm assuming the tires for 18s are cheaper than 19s on Model Y?

If not, that's kinda moot. lol.

I think the biggest thing you can do for tire cost is choosing longer-lasting tires.

For example, you can get the General Altimax RT45 tire in the factory size with a 65,000 mile warranty for $197/ea at Tire Rack. The OEM Contis are $312/ea and only come with a 40,000 mile warranty.

That’s 1.2¢ per mile on the Generals compared to 3.1¢ for the Contis. If tire cost is a big concern, I’d look closer at tire choice than wheel size.

Tricky thing for me is I want to use only all-season tires as we have cold winter, yet we visit down south multiple times during the winter. Changing out tires each time we visit down south is really not an option for us.

Hence, I don't have a huge tire varieties to choose from, and I don't want to sacrifice winter traction too much since I am sort of doing it already.

I found CC2 the best compromise so far...

Tricky thing for me is I want to use only all-season tires as we have cold winter, yet we visit down south multiple times during the winter. Changing out tires each time we visit down south is really not an option for us.

Hence, I don't have a huge tire varieties to choose from, and I don't want to sacrifice winter traction too much since I am sort of doing it already.

I found CC2 the best compromise so far...

I’ve heard nothing but great things about the CC2, and they have a 60K mileage warranty. Tire Rack sells them for $310 in the stock 19” size.

Looking at 18” tires, you could go with the CC2 245/55R18 for $250/ea. They’re 2% taller than stock, though.

The best 18” option is probably 235/55R18. The CC2 is $250 in that size, but there are a bunch of other all-season options carrying a Severe Service Snow rating. For example, the General Altimax 365 AW is $196 and has a 60K treadwear warranty. Anything with that rating, also known as the 3-peak Mountain Snowflake symbol, will be much better in snow than a typical all-season tire.

If you go with a cheaper tire like the General above, you could save some money by going down to 18’s. I don’t see the added cost of another set of wheels if you use a slightly-cheaper version of the CC2, though.

So far since 1970 I bought 66 new cars and trucks, 3 RVs, 3 airplanes, 8 houses and I was able to stay married to one wonderful understanding wife. I'm down to 2 houses, 2 Teslas, One Super Duty Diesel Truck one 5th Wheel RV, one wife, one Parrot and 2 dogs.
As soon as you added airplanes to the list, I knew you should have added more superlatives for your wife!

Just wanted to give an update I love the way these 18s drive , drove all the way around Phoenix 250 ish miles and it drives smooth. Don’t Believe any other mods are needed.
Model Y also has excellent ground clearance !

Attachments

• IMG_6275.jpeg
    IMG_6275.jpeg
    656.6 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: TomB985
Ok, so I tried 37.5 for few days so far. It does feel nicer and feels noticeably more refined. I don't corner hard, so I can't tell if handling has been compromised.

The challenge with tire pressure based approach is how do you keep the tire pressure where you want them to be? I don't want to change them every few days... They seem to fluctuate a lot based on temperature outside...

Also, I'm assuming psi levels we talked about is cold pressure, correct? They go up by 2 or 3 on highways...

My wife, who doesn't care anything about how cars drive, didn't feel any difference... lol.

Ok, so I tried 37.5 for few days so far. It does feel nicer and feels noticeably more refined. I don't corner hard, so I can't tell if handling has been compromised.

The challenge with tire pressure based approach is how do you keep the tire pressure where you want them to be? I don't want to change them every few days... They seem to fluctuate a lot based on temperature outside...

Also, I'm assuming psi levels we talked about is cold pressure, correct? They go up by 2 or 3 on highways...

My wife, who doesn't care anything about how cars drive, didn't feel any difference... lol.
I keep it 38s but I might try 42s to get a little range back

Of course, but that's the same regardless of which pressures you choose to run. Even at max GAWR, which would take a lot to hit, you're fine as low as 34 PSI. At 4,400 lbs, and assuming a 51/49 weight distribution, you're close to 2,200 lbs on both axles. That means you can load ~900 lbs on the front or 1,100 lbs on the rear and still be under GAWR. And even with that heavy axle loading, you're safe at 35 PSI on the factory 19" tires. You'd be way over GVWR and still not blowing tires.

1682261463309.jpeg

There's a lot of of margin built into the recommended pressure.

Yup, all pressures are measured cold, which varies widely based on climate and season.

Reactions: Kupe and JohnB007
I keep it 38s but I might try 42s to get a little range back
I'll have to do a bit more experiment but after my usual weekend 380km drive, I feel the range has dropped a bit. Not apples to apples comparison since every drive is unique, but based on my feel, I should have made it home with very small charge to spare but instead, I had to put $4 worth of charging.

So slight range drop vs comfort.... Hmm...

Need to drive few more weeks before making any conclusion...

Yesterday I bought a Ford F-150 EV Lightning Extended Range Lariat from a dealer about 2 hours from home. The Lightning "Floats" compared to our Model Y's. I'm saying "f;oats" in a good way. You also don't feel every bump in the road like the Tesla. Plus it's much quieter. The Independent rear suspension, big tires and the weight of the truck with the Extended Range batteries makes it a very nice riding truck. Efficiency is about 2/3rd the Tesla efficiency. Same range as a LR Model Y but with a larger 131 kwh battery.