Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 inch vs 20 inch wheels ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I bought a Ford F-150 EV Lightning Extended Range Lariat from a dealer about 2 hours from home. The Lightning "Floats" compared to our Model Y's. I'm saying "f;oats" in a good way. You also don't feel every bump in the road like the Tesla. Plus it's much quieter. The Independent rear suspension, big tires and the weight of the truck with the Extended Range batteries makes it a very nice riding truck. Efficiency is about 2/3rd the Tesla efficiency. Same range as a LR Model Y but with a larger 131 kwh battery.
longer wheelbase also aids it's response (ie lack of) to road expansion joints and similar issues with roadway.
there's no valid comparison to the short 113" MY wheelbase.
but the F150 is also a land yacht.

Reactions: Jerryr
longer wheelbase also aids it's response (ie lack of) to road expansion joints and similar issues with roadway.
there's no valid comparison to the short 113" MY wheelbase.
but the F150 is also a land yacht.

Funny you should say that. It’s all relative. The first thing my wife said when she climbed into the Lightning was “boy this is small”. Our other truck is a Ford F-450 diesel dually beast so that was her comparison. The 450 is used to tow our 14,000 lb 5rg wheel RV. She hates driving the 450 with its wide hips and 176” wheelbase but likes the 150 Lightning with its 145” wheelbase.

Funny you should say that. It’s all relative. The first thing my wife said when she climbed into the Lightning was “boy this is small”. Our other truck is a Ford F-450 diesel dually beast so that was her comparison. The 450 is used to tow our 14,000 lb 5rg wheel RV. She hates driving the 450 with its wide hips and 176” wheelbase but likes the 150 Lightning with its 145” wheelbase.
now that is a funny story

Fwiw, my 2022 mylr had an intolerable ride. I replaced the 19s with oversized 255\55-18s. The ride was still bad. Reading the forum convinced me to get MPP Comfort Coilovers. The ride was still bad. MPP told me after the fact that the coilovers mostly help at high speed.

Test drove a 2023 MYP and the ride was much better. That's what I have now with 21s. The ride is fine over most roads. Hard braking while hitting a pothole is the only time I get a hard impact in the car. I still thinking of getting 19s with CC2 for winter, comfort, and tire replacement cost.

• Informative
Reactions: MattM24
Fwiw, my 2022 mylr had an intolerable ride. I replaced the 19s with oversized 255\55-18s. The ride was still bad. Reading the forum convinced me to get MPP Comfort Coilovers. The ride was still bad. MPP told me after the fact that the coilovers mostly help at high speed.

Test drove a 2023 MYP and the ride was much better. That's what I have now with 21s. The ride is fine over most roads. Hard braking while hitting a pothole is the only time I get a hard impact in the car. I still thinking of getting 19s with CC2 for winter, comfort, and tire replacement cost.
My 23 MYP with 21s has a decent ride over most road conditions. It doesn't do so well over repeated expansion joints or really large holes, but for most of my driving I wouldn't complain. Of course, ride quality is highly subjective.

I just got a 2023 Model Y LR with 20" wheels, and the ride is smoother than my 2017 Model X with 20" wheels. I got the Y because my wife kept complaining about my Model 3's bumpy ride. Whenever we go out, we would take the X. Now we could take the Y and she does not complain about the ride. I actually like driving the Model 3 the best. I can feel the road and be "One with the Road". LOL.

Reactions: JohnB007

I upgraded my 22 MYP with 23MYP suspension, right now I'm rocking my winter setup with 19" wheels and Pirelli winter tires, the car rides "okay" @ 38PSI. I would have gone with lighter 18" wheels and the thickest tire I could fine if I were to do it again. Just my 2c

Reactions: Noflash
I upgraded my 22 MYP with 23MYP suspension, right now I'm rocking my winter setup with 19" wheels and Pirelli winter tires, the car rides "okay" @ 38PSI. I would have gone with lighter 18" wheels and the thickest tire I could fine if I were to do it again. Just my 2c
Are you using the 19" year round? I am planning to downsize now that I'm getting winter tires. But I honestly don't find the 21" that uncomfortablle other than the worst of the worst roads.

Gotcha, I know it's tough given the different seasons, but are you seeing any difference between them in terms of efficiency?
Maybe just because it's winter and its been a tough one but my 19 19x9.5 RADIUS WI23 GLS BLACK + 255/45R-19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 MO Mercedes XL are much much less efficient, and obviously slower accelerating than the 21" uberturbines with Michelin all seasons.

Maybe just because it's winter and its been a tough one but my 19 19x9.5 RADIUS WI23 GLS BLACK + 255/45R-19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 MO Mercedes XL are much much less efficient, and obviously slower accelerating than the 21" uberturbines with Michelin all seasons.
Ahh yea that is what I was worried about. I want to downsize to 19" wheels for efficiency but it seems like the aerodynamics on the 19" are quite a bit worse that it will negate that benefit. Will still downsize for the other benefits like curb protection and comfort though.

Ahh yea that is what I was worried about. I want to downsize to 19" wheels for efficiency but it seems like the aerodynamics on the 19" are quite a bit worse that it will negate that benefit. Will still downsize for the other benefits like curb protection and comfort though.

How did you conclude 19s are less aerodynamic? That doesn’t make any sense

The design of the wheel. I've seen a few posts reporting that the 19" aftermarket wheels don't net too much benefit compared to stock Tesla 20" or 21" wheels despite the reduced weight.
the primary thing that aftermarket wheels offer is weight reduction. most don't even do that, and you're paying for every ounce.
what efficiency that adds isn't much, and beyond that, it's just aesthetics.
probably the best bang for buck is just new aero-efficient wheel covers that might subjectively look better (or, just paint / dip the Tesla ones).

Reactions: ngng
the primary thing that aftermarket wheels offer is weight reduction. most don't even do that, and you're paying for every ounce.
what efficiency that adds isn't much, and beyond that, it's just aesthetics.
probably the best bang for buck is just new aero-efficient wheel covers that might subjectively look better (or, just paint / dip the Tesla ones).
The best aftermarket combination of lighter weight and aerodynamics that I have found is the TSportline 19" TSV. I just can't do plastic hubcaps.

PXL_20231106_214155728.jpg

The design of the wheel. I've seen a few posts reporting that the 19" aftermarket wheels don't net too much benefit compared to stock Tesla 20" or 21" wheels despite the reduced weight.

I don't think you can apply a blanket statement like that. A smaller diameter wheel with good aero will be more efficient than a larger wheel, i.e. if there was a 19, 20, 21 of the same wheel, the 19 is going to be more efficient.

Reactions: tangible1
I don't think you can apply a blanket statement like that. A smaller diameter wheel with good aero will be more efficient than a larger wheel, i.e. if there was a 19, 20, 21 of the same wheel, the 19 is going to be more efficient.
There are not that many aftermarket wheels with good aero. More coverage is better and the popular styles are spindly. There are many anecdotes of 21" Ubers being replaced with smaller size only to lose efficiency.