Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How the app saved a trip on the flatbed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had the car for 4 days. I had to leave on a trip for work and while gone my brother in law came into town. They horsed around with the car a bit and came back home without plugging back in. Then her brother said she and the kids should travel (60 miles one way) to see my nephew's basketball game. After looking at the charge (180 rated), I suggested plugging into the 14-50 and range charge until they left, heat it up while plugged in, drive no more than 70mph, and keep the heat down just to be on the safe side. Temps were in the single digits and the car was to sit outside a few hours. She said they probably wouldn't go and I left it at that.
Later, out of sheer boredom in the terminal, I pulled up the app and noticed the car was "driving" and the range had dropped significantly. I looked at the location tab and watched her driving in excess of 85mph with big speed changes, likely racing her brother while on the interstate! I called to ask what she's doing and told her to slow down or she won't make it home. I asked if she'd charged it any like I suggested. Nope. I then ask if she brought the charge cord to charge while they sit. NOPE! I was sick, I wanted her to turn around because we just don't intimately know the cold weather behavior of this car. I decided this would be our "failure is not an option" winter test.
While parked, I monitored the state of the car. When she unlocked the car and opened the door I killed the climate control from 1000 miles away(how cool/creepy is that?!?). I knew she was going to do a show and tell of the car and wouldn't realize the car would be heating up for her, killing precious energy. Rated range was now 94 miles. Temp was 5F. 60 miles home with a headwind of 20kts. I instructed her to drive no more than 55 and to set "range mode" to "on". To conclude a long story, she easily made it home with 31 miles remaining. Range mode and 55mph gave nearly 1 to 1 rated/actual used. However, the app and it's ability to show the speed of the car and charge level allowed me to call and give instructions, preventing the car from ending up on a flatbed.

Your wife likes to live on the edge! Glad she made it.

I think that's going to be a big problem going forward: people not realizing the extra care that needs to be taken with these cars. I drove home yesterday in 21 degree weather and used an average of 580wh/mi compared to the 399 on the way (mostly highway). It was 35 on the original trip, and I was pretty sleepy on the return trip (and driving slower), so I can only attribute that extra usage to the cold outside and the need to keep it warmer inside.

I think that's going to be a big problem going forward: people not realizing the extra care that needs to be taken with these cars. I drove home yesterday in 21 degree weather and used an average of 580wh/mi compared to the 399 on the way (mostly highway). It was 35 on the original trip, and I was pretty sleepy on the return trip (and driving slower), so I can only attribute that extra usage to the cold outside and the need to keep it warmer inside.

Wow, that's quite a spike. I wonder what the wind component was for each leg.
The way I explained it to my wife....All cars use considerably more energy at higher speeds and sports cars guzzle gas when you go WOT. This car has amazing MPGe but it also has sports car abilities. With great power comes great responsibility. haha

Wow, that's quite a spike. I wonder what the wind component was for each leg.
The way I explained it to my wife....All cars use considerably more energy at higher speeds and sports cars guzzle gas when you go WOT. This car has amazing MPGe but it also has sports car abilities. With great power comes great responsibility. haha

The winds were pretty strong, but I mainly noticed them when they hit me sideways. As someone else said, this car picks up crosswinds pretty well. It was white knuckle at some points, but not because of range (they had a welder's outlet at our destination, so we left for home fully charged) but more because of the wind having its way with us.

Oh, and correction above, 540 not 580.

Glad to hear Range Mode works effectively in Minnesota winters. I simply haven't pushed mine below 50 miles of range remaining yet. My wife has been enjoying the Tesla application. My home office is above the garage, and she uses the remote horn feature to say "I love you." That totally sounds like a driver in your area, concerned about headwinds. I think it would help if you planted some trees up there!

There is a roughly 20% drop in range when the ambient temperature drops from a few degrees above freezing to a few degrees below freezing, without the heater. Plus if the car was cold soaked before the trip, the pack heater was probably running for the first while.

There is a roughly 20% drop in range when the ambient temperature drops from a few degrees above freezing to a few degrees below freezing, without the heater. Plus if the car was cold soaked before the trip, the pack heater was probably running for the first while.

By cold soak, do you mean being in the cold in general, or being in the cold not plugged in? It was outside, but charging, so I figured that would keep the pack warm too. Either way, no big deal, as I was able to charge

They horsed around with the car a bit and came back home without plugging back in.
I suggested plugging into the 14-50 and range charge until they left,
I asked if she'd charged it any like I suggested. Nope.

Gah! She still hasn't gotten used to "plug in when not in use," eh? It sounds like a range charge would've been overkill (what I thought before I got to the end of your post), but plug in...plug in...plug in! ;-)

I then ask if she brought the charge cord to charge while they sit. NOPE!

I've just been commuting to work and doing a few errands, so I always leave the cord at home...but I always charge when home, and my round trip's 46 miles total. I'm looking forward to the HPWC arriving (whenever that happens), so I can keep the UMC in the car 24/7. I could see forgetting the cord, easily, on a trip like your wife's.

Anyway, I'm very glad it worked out fine. It sounds like range driving mode works well. I kinda wish they had another name for it (range charge versus range driving mode--too similar).

Last edited:
By cold soak, do you mean being in the cold in general, or being in the cold not plugged in? It was outside, but charging, so I figured that would keep the pack warm too. Either way, no big deal, as I was able to charge

In cold conditions, charging is enough to greatly reduce but not eliminate the need for pack heating. It's a LOT better than not charging, but it will not bring the pack up to normal operating temperature.

Wow. Being a teenager will never be the same again.

Na. Now they'll just park the car where the parents expect it to be and then take a friend's car to the kegger.

My reason for the range charge was the concern about it sitting for hours in single digit temps as well as test drives for other family members before she made her way back. But seeing the speeds she was driving made me ill.

This really highligts the difference speed makes to me. The one imported Model S Signature we have in Norway drove Bergen-Hemsedal a couple of weeks ago. 182 miles, 14degF, going with the traffic but doing some overtaking, and over a mountain pass (3740 feet) + >2000 feet net elevation gain. Cabin temp was set at 70degF.

They used 350Wh/mile.

Difference ? Max speed limit on the way there was 50mph (typical speed limit here).

The return trip had a net elevation loss and the weather was somewhat warmer (between 23 and 32degF) but they drove more aggressively. Usage was 328Wh/mile.