TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to add elements to instrument cluster or main display

Discussion in 'Model S' started by whitex, Jun 15, 2016.

1. whitex

whitex Member

I know there has been a bunch of reverse engineering happening by different people (wk057 comes to mind, but there are others). I remember reading that Tesla uses X11 for the cluster display. Is there any way to connect to the internal ethernet and send an X-window to the cluster or main display? I am looking into whether I can display radar detector information for example as an overlay over the AP car showing on the instrument cluster. I already know how to talk to the radar detector and could add an ethernet port to my little project to send out X-windows to a known address, but what I'm missing is whether that is possible and if so, how? Any information, links, etc. would be much appreciated.

2. green1

green1 Active Member

Possible, yes. But good luck getting people to tell you how, the secret seems to be guarded more closely than nuclear launch codes.