Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to charge powerwalls from grid with solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I am new to solar, having gotten a new install last week- 8 kW with one PW. The panels are not turned on. However, when the team installed, the Power-wall got charged to 100% from the grid and last 2 days, it’s used up about 45% for peak time flow to the house. The “ storm watch” icon is flashing but the powerwall did not get recharged back up to 100%? Will this happen only after solar is working?
The icon under Storm Watch is always animated and doesn't actually indicate that Storm Watch has been triggered. When Storm Watch has been activated it will show up on the gateway screen and the Power Flow screen.

It sounds like your Powerwalls were initially charged when Storm Watch had actually been activated but they didn't charge back up because Storm Watch was later deactivated for your area.
Screenshot_20200117-052548_Tesla.jpg
Screenshot_20190930-182627_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: navguy12
Does this mention anywhere that it would be enabled, by tesla, with solar? I suspect that, this is a mode that would be enabled for those without solar. I dont have any proof, but that is what would make sense given current restrictions tesla puts in place.
Those with Solar (taking the ITC credit) would be prohibited from using this.

I would just like to see us be able to sell our solar generated power back to the utility at any time we wish. That is supposed to be allowed by the CAPUC.

I would just like to see us be able to sell our solar generated power back to the utility at any time we wish. That is supposed to be allowed by the CAPUC.

Yeah at this point, I wish Tesla would revise their power control system software to allow grid export from the ESS at peak time. PG&E is already super concerned/scared of people grid-exporting from batteries. So PG&E puts in high NEM interconnection fees and requires expensive insurance policies with PG&E as a named insured.

Since Tesla blocks grid-exporting from the Powerwalls, the fee and expensive insurance cannot be recovered. If a homeowner could sell stored energy at peak rates, at least they could recoup the stupid costs PG&E impose.

Yeah at this point, I wish Tesla would revise their power control system software to allow grid export from the ESS at peak time. PG&E is already super concerned/scared of people grid-exporting from batteries. So PG&E puts in high NEM interconnection fees and requires expensive insurance policies with PG&E as a named insured.

Since Tesla blocks grid-exporting from the Powerwalls, the fee and expensive insurance cannot be recovered. If a homeowner could sell stored energy at peak rates, at least they could recoup the stupid costs PG&E impose.

Tesla just updated the "Tesla Customer Privacy Policy & Limited Warranty" in the Gateway 2. I found this when my saved link to the api/meters/aggregates failed due to "not have authorization" and going to just the IP address (my router DNS doesn't resolve with //teg or //powerwall) showed the power flow image without and data, but after logging I had to accept the new policy. There are three check boxes before you get to accept and one of them says this.

Grid Services
Your Powerwall can support the reliability of the electrical grid by providing services under optional programs offered by utilities or third parties. These services typically involve a partial discharge of your Powerwall at opportune times in exchange for some financial benefit to you, and require us to share your energy usage and Powerwall information with utilities or third parties. Before we enroll you into one of these programs, we will provide you program details and give you an opportunity to opt out. If you do not opt out at that time, you will be enrolled into the program.

[] I accept

You do not have to consent. If you don’t consent, we may still give you the opportunity to enroll in these programs later.​

Tesla alreadys support Powerwall-to-Grid in Vermont.
From Pilot to Permanent: Green Mountain Power’s Home Battery Network Is Here to Stay

• Informative
Tesla just updated the "Tesla Customer Privacy Policy & Limited Warranty" in the Gateway 2. I found this when my saved link to the api/meters/aggregates failed due to "not have authorization" and going to just the IP address (my router DNS doesn't resolve with //teg or //powerwall) showed the power flow image without and data, but after logging I had to accept the new policy. There are three check boxes before you get to accept and one of them says this.

Grid Services
Your Powerwall can support the reliability of the electrical grid by providing services under optional programs offered by utilities or third parties. These services typically involve a partial discharge of your Powerwall at opportune times in exchange for some financial benefit to you, and require us to share your energy usage and Powerwall information with utilities or third parties. Before we enroll you into one of these programs, we will provide you program details and give you an opportunity to opt out. If you do not opt out at that time, you will be enrolled into the program.

[] I accept

You do not have to consent. If you don’t consent, we may still give you the opportunity to enroll in these programs later.​

Tesla alreadys support Powerwall-to-Grid in Vermont.
From Pilot to Permanent: Green Mountain Power’s Home Battery Network Is Here to Stay
We saw similar text and the offer to sign up for Grid Services when we had our Powerwalls installed back in 2018. We declined at the time since we didn't have enough information and it said we'd have the opportunity to enroll in the future.

We saw similar text and the offer to sign up for Grid Services when we had our Powerwalls installed back in 2018. We declined at the time since we didn't have enough information and it said we'd have the opportunity to enroll in the future.

Interesting, I didn't recall seeing this first time that I logged into the Gateway2. I also declined the option for the same reasons.

What does it do or not do in Calif and PGE? What happens differently if one accepts or declines?

Right now, if you accept and are in California the most that would happen is that Tesla would be allowed to share your usage and Powerwall data with PG&E or SCE to try to encourage them to allow for Powerwalls to discharge into the grid. Then if either create the program you would be enrolled into the program unless you opt-out when asked. If you decline then they won't share your data and you want be automatically opted-in to the program, but they will ask you if you want to be if it happens.

Other than that, it confirms that Powerwalls can act as a distributed power source for grid reliability, but we already knew that this was true as it is being done in Australia and Vermont and likely other locations. PG&E appears to not want this behavior enabled on their grid at this time.

coney27,

I am sorry to contradict what everyone else believes, but if you are willing to use the installer "wizard" menu, there is a way. It is a bit of a hack, but no wiring changes, only standard gateway interface and app settings changed.

In fact, yesterday, I did exactly what the original poster wants to do. I have solar and one PowerWall, in northern Calif, PG&E, EV2-A rate, NEM1.

It was foggy in the morning, and I was not getting enough charge to get me through the peak period, 3PM through midnight. So, at 1:30 pm I enabled charge from grid for just over an hour to top up the PowerWall. I used the method I described in my October 17 post to this form.

PowerWall w/ Solar, Charge From Grid Experiment

Basically I used the local web interface and logged in as Installer, re-configured the CT's 3 and 4 to be Site, rather than solar, and then in the Tesla app set the PW to Backup Only. Bingo, 3.3 kW of charge. When it reached 100% I restored the solar configuration and time-based mode.

Kind of a pain, but it works. In this scree shot you can see grid charging from ~1:30 to ~2:30, and the the PW picking up the load from 3 till midnight.

View attachment 608580

I am interested in learning how to do this, in case of future need. Thank you

I live in Texas, have had solar for 8 years and just installed 2 powerwalls. I have a free grid power from 8pm to 6am and am very disappointed that my powerwalls won't recharge during that time. I have not claimed a federal tax credit on them, so does that stupid rule apply?

I live in Texas, have had solar for 8 years and just installed 2 powerwalls. I have a free grid power from 8pm to 6am and am very disappointed that my powerwalls won't recharge during that time. I have not claimed a federal tax credit on them, so does that stupid rule apply?
See this thread: Grid Charge Powerwall with Solar and see Fonzi03 was able to work with Tesla to configure his system to do what you are interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.