Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to choose hotels on roadtrip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I originally said, I want to see it all at a glance on one page without clicking on a million superchargers to see whether there is just a Sheetz there to eat, or if there is a reasonable Texas Steakhouse or something else more upscale. And similarly for hotels with tesla or J1772 chargers. I've used plugshare since 2015 and it doesn't do what I need without a million clicks. Now that I am likely to do this drive more regularly I want to collect the useful information in a table to see at a glance.
There's nothing that I know of that packages it all up on a silver platter as you (and the rest of us) would like. While one can filter on hotels with Plugshare.com, you still need to check out the candidates a little.
Given the monumental effort and dynamic, changing nature of the database about which you speak, it is probably not realistic at this point.

There's nothing that I know of that packages it all up on a silver platter as you (and the rest of us) would like. While one can filter on hotels with Plugshare.com, you still need to check out the candidates a little.
Given the monumental effort and dynamic, changing nature of the database about which you speak, it is probably not realistic at this point.
Google Maps does have filters for EV chargers, Hotels, and restaurants, but we all probably know that already.
I still use plugshare, decide how long I want to drive before food break, look for charger, then off to how long to drive for hotel break, look for charger, etc. Has worked well for me on my many trips.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Google Maps does have filters for EV chargers, Hotels, and restaurants, but we all probably know that already.
I still use plugshare, decide how long I want to drive before food break, look for charger, then off to how long to drive for hotel break, look for charger, etc. Has worked well for me on my many trips.
Whether Google or plugshare, its all garbage-in/garbage-out. Its only good if folks agree upon it and use it, providing check-ins both good and bad. plugshare.com has been the go-to place, owned and supported by EV drivers, for a long time so I request that EV newcomers continue to focus on keeping it working.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Done several long trips in M3 since 2018. Planning a 3+ week trip now for May!

Use A Better Route Planner, and Tesla route planner, to layout trip. Figure what we want to see and do along the way, then general areas where stopping for the night makes sense. If hotel in the area has EV charger (PlugShare helps here but have found it’s not always accurate) and is not a lot more expensive than similar hotels in the area, will probably stay there and charge overnight. If not, will just use nearest Supercharger and charge before bed (preferred) or have breakfast or take walk while charging in the morning. To see driving route and what’s along the way to sightsee/visit use maps on ABRP, PlugShare and Google Maps. After you pick a possible area to stop for the evening, check hotel prices 30-60 miles before and after there because hotel prices can vary a lot.

Usually charge up a bit more than what ABRP suggests to have extra juice to take impromptu short side detours off main highway to visit things along the way.

It is free to join hotel* frequent guest programs, you get discounted rates and decide if you want to book lowest non refundable rate or a slightly more refundable rate based on how flexible or not you can be. I found some Holiday Inn locations with T destination chargers really charge premium, so cheaper to stay at a Hilton and then visit a Supercharger. Hotel websites usually indicate if they have EV chargers, but not always. Have not done a trip where we haven’t reserved a room at least 3 weeks ahead of time.
* Hilton, Marriott, Choice, Best Western, Holiday Inn

In some more rural areas, you can charge at RV parks if needed. Stayed at a small house via VBRO and was able to charge in the garage ( brought extension cord). Cord was handy when staying at a motel, parked in front of room, and was surprised to see wall outlet near the door so plugged in!

Lastly, can call hotels and ask if they have EV chargers and confirm cost or no cost. A Best Western in AZ charged us even though their website and front desk made no mention of a fee. The Doubletree in Biloxi places orange traffic cones in their EV parking spots (nice touch to prevent ICEing) so you just move them aside when staying there and move them back when you leave!

hope this helps!

Last edited:
Here it is:

This may work for a single dimension, high traffic route such as I95. It will all depend on who and how many people maintain it.
The searching feature you mention about plugshare, while a problem while driving, makes it a good place for travelers going to places they don't frequent since one can find any route. It would only be by chance that a search might come up with this I95 wiki.
I'm planning a route right now for a similar trip over a far less travelled region. I do agree that it would be nice to have such a basic tabular list of potential stops. I'm making up my own spreadsheet, pulling info from plugshare. As a belt and suspenders person, I have a printout in case I run into connectivity issues on the road.

This may work for a single dimension, high traffic route such as I95.
yep. It worked for me for my recent trip.

I'm making up my own spreadsheet, pulling info from plugshare.

The wiki table is a decent spreadsheet and has the benefit of sharing the info with others, even if no one else bothers to contribute.

It would only be by chance that a search might come up with this I95 wiki.

It already shows up at the top of google searches.

1645674218508.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Earl
When using PlugShare, be sure to have J1772, Tesla (Destination), and even Wall filters enabled. Also sometimes a property needs the "Show restricted locations" filter enabled in order to show up.

If a place you are interested in doesn't show up in PlugShare, call the front desk and ask them. Perhaps their maintenance guy can find a receptacle near or in the parking lot for you to use. Have him text you a photo of the receptacle. I've found that outdoor receptacles are often 5-20s - so carrying a 5-20 adapter will give an extra couple mph of charging over your 5-15 adapter. If they have onsite RV parking, perhaps there is even a TT30 or 14-50 you can use.

If you find a place that isn't listed on PlugShare, add it for future travelers!

As I'm sitting in a hotel waiting for my car to top off a bit - at 12 Amps (~2.5 KW) so I can move to a different hotel hopefully with more current, I'm reminded of another criteria about hotel chargers: available current.
I've run into a number of Tesla destination chargers that peak out at 12 or 16 amps. This is not enough to get a full charge in 8 or 9 hours of sleep if that is your goal.
Its probably fine to keep your battery and car warm in extremely cold temperatures (its +11F here and expected to dip to +9F tonight).
Another great feature that I wish hotels would start offering is reservations on chargers. It is a whole lot nicer to be able to just plug in at a hotel, go to bed, and know that you'll have a full range charge in the morning that having to juggle supercharging with cold batteries. Without a reservation, you may choose a hotel with a charger but not be able to take advantage of it.

As I'm sitting in a hotel waiting for my car to top off a bit - at 12 Amps (~2.5 KW) so I can move to a different hotel hopefully with more current, I'm reminded of another criteria about hotel chargers: available current.
I've run into a number of Tesla destination chargers that peak out at 12 or 16 amps. This is not enough to get a full charge in 8 or 9 hours of sleep if that is your goal.
Its probably fine to keep your battery and car warm in extremely cold temperatures (its +11F here and expected to dip to +9F tonight).
Another great feature that I wish hotels would start offering is reservations on chargers. It is a whole lot nicer to be able to just plug in at a hotel, go to bed, and know that you'll have a full range charge in the morning that having to juggle supercharging with cold batteries. Without a reservation, you may choose a hotel with a charger but not be able to take advantage of it.
This is another good thing with Plugshare. Comments can be read by those that have checked in and charged.
If I read a hotel has a charger only getting 2.5kw, I'd stay somewhere else
The place I'm staying at now has a charger getting 10kw as stated on Plugshare.