Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to connect tow harness [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
IMG_8275.JPG
IMG_8275.JPG
IMG_8276.JPG
IMG_8275.JPG
IMG_8276.JPG
IMG_8277.JPG
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere before, I'm on my iPhone & am having a hard time with a search. I just bought a trailer has what appears to 7 pin connector. The only one I see is a round one on a spring door. There are two other connected wire bundles that I can. Am I supposed to unplug those and plug my trailer harness into female of those? Or am I just missing the loose harness somewhere?

Can you upload a pic of the wiring harness for your trailer?

The round 7 pin connector on the Tesla is the most common one for trailers with brakes.

There is a flat 4 pin connector that is common with trailers that don't have brakes. You can buy an adapter for that.

There are less common trailer harnesses that have 5 pins, and possibly another form of the 7 pin connector.

Do not unplug the flat wire harness in your photo. Everything is connected through the round port.
I have a round-to-flat 4 adaptor for my trailer. But my local auto parts store had a variety of adaptors for every common trailer connection.
Thanks. I found a 7 Blade connector with both a 4 pin and a 5 pin socket that worked great with the 4 pin connector on the trailer--got mine from Walmart, but here's one online:

7-Way to 5-Way and 4-Way Trailer Adapter for VW, Audi and Porsche Towing Trailers with LED Lights Tow Ready Wiring TR20141

Reactions: DaddyP713
View attachment 222889
I just bought a trailer has what appears to 7 pin connector. The only one I see is a round one on a spring door. There are two other connected wire bundles that I can. Am I supposed to unplug those and plug my trailer harness into female of those? Or am I just missing the loose harness somewhere?

This is the correct one. You will have a corresponding round plug from your trailer. Plug the 7 pin round into the 7 pin round recieved (behind the spring door) do not touch anything else.

This single plug will control all of your trailer lights.

I haven't seen a trailer myself (limited experience) with a multi harness, but I suppose it's possible. If you have a flat looking plug, you will need an adapter to convert it to be compatible. ($6-$10 usually)

Also..does your trailer have brakes?