Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to deal with Music player amnesia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the music player app in the car has been displaying this extremely forgetful behaviour for about a year now, and I finally got to asking about it. The player frequently forgets its own status when a car is locked, or even doors closed, or when a phone call is made. It usually goes like this:
- have radio on, or, more frequently, radio or Slacker on pause
- playback, or pause, is interrupted when a "qualifying event' happens: I have a phone call, or I leave the car and close the door (don't even need to lock)
- when the call ends, or when I reopen the doors (can be just seconds since I closed it), the media player jumps into life, and starts playing a random preset (a stored radio station or a favourited Slacker item)

Cursory look through the forums didn't show any reports of this behaviour, so I'm wondering if it's just my car that's turning senile in this manner. And regardless of whether it's "special" in that way, do you think it's worth going to a service center for?

All I can say is that mine resumes every day, every entry, as expected.
try to do other activities that normally survive exit/entry , maybe zoom or pan map (not sure if that survives) .. maybe the computer is rebooting ?

on the other hand, can you reproduce it 100% like , play, exit (wait till is sleeps), open door... and it does not resume ?
if so, ask service center, or try a full car reset to factory settings ..

I have seen this happen occasionally; maybe 3 times in the last 6 months where the car just starts playing a random Slacker tune from the last Slacker station I had it on, or from the last AM radio station I had it on. I almost always listen to music off USB (it's own special kind of special), so it is not resuming the last song or station I was listening to when it happens. I have never had the reverse happen, where it starts playing a track off my USB stick after I've been listening to the radio or Slacker.

It happens so infrequently I just chalk it up to "stuff happens".

There is another, long thread 'Comprehensive USB Music issues' or similar that documents a lot of the features of the Music Player.

I see this behavior reasonably often, usually after getting back into the car. When I left it was on the Radio and when I return it has moved from that station to another of the favorites I have - but it appears to be a random move as far as which favorite it is.

When I am playing from USB, it almost always 'forgets' and in my case starts a full rescan - last week I was driving along route 1 on the coast - we stopped for a minute to look at the view, never more than 20ft from the car, and it started a rescan. When that happens it always moves to Bluetooth music, which I have never, ever used and so is silent and I have to select a different source until it finishes the rescan.

There is a large group hoping that one day the Music Player will at least revert to how it worked (well) in 2014