Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to disable Vehicle Hold in v9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I configured all my settings yesterday and was happy with how the 3 drove. Creep on, vehicle hold off.

Today I upgraded to v9 and it seems vehicle hold is on by default. I see the toggle setting for creep, but can no longer figure out where to disable vehicle hold.

Is vehicle hold now mandatory in v9 or am I missing how to toggle the feature on/off?

Please, no arguments or opinions for or against vehicle hold. There is another thread for that. I simply want to know if I can turn it off in v9. Thank You.

I configured all my settings yesterday and was happy with how the 3 drove. Creep on, vehicle hold off.

Today I upgraded to v9 and it seems vehicle hold is on by default. I see the toggle setting for creep, but can no longer figure out where to disable vehicle hold.

Is vehicle hold now mandatory in v9 or am I missing how to toggle the feature on/off?

Please, no arguments or opinions for or against vehicle hold. There is another thread for that. I simply want to know if I can turn it off in v9. Thank You.

Isn't vehicle hold something you manually perform each time by depressing the brake at a stop? I didn't realize there ever was a setting.

Is there a difference between disabling it and just not using it? (serious question)

Reactions: fallen888
Isn't vehicle hold something you manually perform each time by depressing the brake at a stop? I didn't realize there ever was a setting.

Is there a difference between disabling it and just not using it? (serious question)
It is able to self-activate if you come to a complete stop on a significant slope. So in that case if there was no global disable for it, that case would be a difference. But you would need to two-foot your start or be super quick to continue safely without it in that case.

According to the Model 3 owners manual, there is no “toggle” for Vehicle Hold. As far as I know, there never has been.

CA805192-5B8B-44A5-BD8F-2FCDB68D30C2.png

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
V9 does not change anything with vehicle hold.

There’s never been a setting to disable vehicle hold. With creep on, vehicle hold engages only when you apply extra pressure to the brake while stopped. With creep off, tapping the break again while stopped engages vehicle hold.

Last edited:
I must be imagining things. I'm positive I had vehicle hold turned off. There is another thread about this where people have vehicle hold off. When driving it before v9, no matter how firmly I pressed the brake, vehicle hold would not activate. With v9 it activates right away with slight pressure on the brake when stopped. So I'm wondering what is different. Weird.

I must be imagining things. I'm positive I had vehicle hold turned off. There is another thread about this where people have vehicle hold off. When driving it before v9, no matter how firmly I pressed the brake, vehicle hold would not activate. With v9 it activates right away with slight pressure on the brake when stopped. So I'm wondering what is different. Weird.

Well I have creep on too with V9 and still need a pretty heavy push to activate hill hold. I didn't see any changes.

When I first drove the car, vehicle hold did not activate. That is why I thought I had it turned off. I was wrong.
With v9, vehicle hold suddenly started working for me.
It does not auto activate for me on steep inclines. I know because I rolled backwards.

Maybe my issues are related to yesterday afternoon when my whole display lit up with all the warning icons and I got a message to service the car, power steering reduced.

80 miles on the odometer. Maybe something else funky is going on. I soft reset the car and everything works normal now. Will keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Does anyone know how to stop it form rolling back without pressing hard on the brake pedal, there was an option for this before.
I don’t think there was such an “option” but it takes only a modest amount of pressure on the brake pedal to stop the car from rolling backwards on a hill. If you press hard enough to engage Vehicle Hold it only takes a modest amount of pressure not the brake or accelerator pedal to disengage it. So I don’t see what the problem is...