Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get a 2013 into service mode with FW 2021.24.28

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
13 MS85 VIN 9919

Just updated to 2022.8.10.8 ( 2022.8.10.8 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates (notateslaapp.com) ) today and was able to get into service mode for the first time. Tried in previous firmware version (don't know what version was prior) and did nothing. All service mode attempts were done at home (not near SC)

IMG_3148.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: zwede
Diagnosing this car can be quite challenging. Factory tools are generally inaccessible. Here is a sequence of diag tools. Setting up OBD2 to snoop canbus is a good next step unless you can jump all the way to factory tools (workshop) CANBUS snoop at least will tell you which subsystems are reporting in.

Howards Model S - Parts & Diags (google.com)

I recently had to diag an HV circuit fault that prevented battery main contactors from closing. OBD2 was able to snoop BMS and show all battery modules were good. From JRGo video, sounds like HV battery maybe completely dead? Anyway, you can read first 3 posts on my diag path. My HV battery main contactor didn't close but sounded like it tried and failed the testing after precharge contactors fired. Post #5 I tried to explain what I heard.

Anyhow, hope this gives you some clues on chasing next steps

Last edited:
Diagnosing this car can be quite challenging. Factory tools are generally inaccessible. Here is a sequence of diag tools. Setting up OBD2 to snoop canbus is a good next step unless you can jump all the way to factory tools (workshop) CANBUS snoop at least will tell you which subsystems are reporting in.

Howards Model S - Parts & Diags (google.com)

I recently had to diag an HV circuit fault that prevented battery main contactors from closing. OBD2 was able to snoop BMS and show all battery modules were good. From JRGo video, sounds like HV battery maybe completely dead? Anyway, you can read first 3 posts on my diag path. My HV battery main contactor didn't close but sounded like it tried and failed the testing after precharge contactors fired. Post #5 I tried to explain what I heard.

Anyhow, hope this gives you some clues on chasing next steps
Thanks man. The car is still saying the battery is at 61% so im really hopeful for a repair vs replacement.

Thanks man. The car is still saying the battery is at 61% so im really hopeful for a repair vs replacement.

I recall JRgo video shows pulling speed sensor shows rusty water residue. If the inverter is dead from coolant intrusion and not responding to HV battery precharge, I'd imagine battery is not going to fire its contactors. And if HVIL safety loop is broken anywhere along the way, HV battery will not fire any contactors.

Wrote up and linked some background info on HVIL, precharge, and contactors. Probably good to familiarize yourself

I recall JRgo video shows pulling speed sensor shows rusty water residue. If the inverter is dead from coolant intrusion and not responding to HV battery precharge, I'd imagine battery is not going to fire its contactors. And if HVIL safety loop is broken anywhere along the way, HV battery will not fire any contactors.

Wrote up and linked some background info on HVIL, precharge, and contactors. Probably good to familiarize yourself

Thanks for the reading material! I am assuming you are correct as well, just the inner technician in me wants a definitive "yes/no" before I go firing the parts cannon. My only reason is I have the ability to buy salvaged vehicles so it would make the most sense to just grab a low milage 85 of the similar vintage to be a battery donor, and that would then give me an LDU as well. Trying to keep this thing the cheapest clean title tesla on the internet is a goal of mine!

Reactions: howardc64
Thanks for the reading material! I am assuming you are correct as well, just the inner technician in me wants a definitive "yes/no" before I go firing the parts cannon. My only reason is I have the ability to buy salvaged vehicles so it would make the most sense to just grab a low milage 85 of the similar vintage to be a battery donor, and that would then give me an LDU as well. Trying to keep this thing the cheapest clean title tesla on the internet is a goal of mine!

Indeed no parts cannon which gets $$$$ on this car. Don't want to throw a $10k battery at it if not needed but drive unit rebuld/replacement seems surely the case.. Just note nothing says the used drive unit will not be leaking given its high failure occurrance. Anyhow, ScanMyTesla app + ELM327 BT dongle + custom Tesla OBD2 connector shape adapter will get you CANBUS status :)

Indeed no parts cannon which gets $$$$ on this car. Don't want to throw a $10k battery at it if not needed but drive unit rebuld/replacement seems surely the case.. Just note nothing says the used drive unit will not be leaking given its high failure occurrance. Anyhow, ScanMyTesla app + ELM327 BT dongle + custom Tesla OBD2 connector shape adapter will get you CANBUS status :)
I will be pacing my driveway Friday waiting for Amazon to drop off my adaptor to which I pray let’s me see the status of my battery 😂