Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get a Luxury Car Tax Refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you can SORN one day and re-tax the next. The problem is the online system will not allow more than one transaction every 3 days. So unless you want to wait 3 days between SORN and re-taxing one of the transactions has to be done at the Post Office. doesn't matter which one. Its the SORN that triggers the refund so the time taken for the cheque to arrive will not be dependant on the re-tax date

cheers. Taxed today at the po.

Just an aside, not to get a refund but to separate cat Tax and MOT time, @Jason71 if I SORN, the re-tax the next month, presumably the new car tax then runs 12 months from the start of the month that it was re-taxed? Can it be re-taxed online?

On my other car, my car tax is due at start of the month and MOT a few days before (pre registered by garage so MOT date end of month) which means that I have little leeway between getting MOT and being able to tax the car. If I had a problematical MOT, it could be useful to not have the car tax run out whilst sorting the MOT - no guarantee how much before anniversary I can get the new MOT. No monetary benefit as car is £0 tax, I just want to put a buffer between MOT and taxing the car.

Shouldn't be an issue on the Model 3. Car tax will be due before the MOT so MOT will be in force when tax is due.

Last edited:
Just an aside, not to get a refund but to separate cat Tax and MOT time, @Jason71 if I SORN, the re-tax the next month, presumably the new car tax then runs 12 months from the start of the month that it was re-taxed? Can it be re-taxed online?

On my other car, my car tax is due at start of the month and MOT a few days before (pre registered by garage so MOT date end of month) which means that I have little leeway between getting MOT and being able to tax the car. If I had a problematical MOT, it could be useful to not have the car tax run out whilst sorting the MOT - no guarantee how much before anniversary I can get the new MOT. No monetary benefit as car is £0 tax, I just want to put a buffer between MOT and taxing the car.

Shouldn't be an issue on the Model 3. Car tax will be due before the MOT so MOT will be in force when tax is due.

anytime you tax, unless your tax is due at the end of the current month, then the start date will always be the start of the current month. So yes in your scenario 12 months from the start of the month in which it was retaxed. you can do it online so long as it is more than 3 days since the SORN if the SORN was done online.

On the other car firstly aren't they extending the MOT's for upto 6 months due to CORVID or something? so that might end up moving your end date. Not sure how that one works but more importantly as you said the car is zero VED. So yes you can just re-tax it from the start of the month any month and therefore move the end date. No SORN needed just go and re-tax.

On a separate note if you look at the legislation that scrapped the luxury car tax what it really did was make it zero for £40K+ EV's registered before April 2025 i.e. it is possible that if EV';s take off really well or say the govt is strapped for cash! they may have to re-visit that and we could have to start paying again up to that date which is set at 5 years from the start of the second licence. As a result it may be worth all M3 owners going out and re-taxing their cars now to bring that date forward.
For example mine was new in November 19 so in theory my second licence will start in November 2020 so my luxury car tax end date will be November 2025. BUT if I re-tax now then the second licence starts April 2020 so the end date becomes 5 years from there so April 2025. So for zero cost and five minutes online I have brought that date back by 8 months. It will probably never matter especially if you don't plan to keep the car that long but just a thought.

For example mine was new in November 19 so in theory my second licence will start in November 2020 so my luxury car tax end date will be November 2025. BUT if I re-tax now then the second licence starts April 2020 so the end date becomes 5 years from there so April 2025. So for zero cost and five minutes online I have brought that date back by 8 months. It will probably never matter especially if you don't plan to keep the car that long but just a thought.

None of that will make any difference as the 5 years from year 1 is from the date the car was registered.

Your car will be 6 years old in November 2025 which is where any liability would end, irrelevant of what you did with the tax previously.

None of that will make any difference as the 5 years from year 1 is from the date the car was registered.

Your car will be 6 years old in November 2025 which is where any liability would end, irrelevant of what you did with the tax previously.
Sorry but you are wrong. The five years starts from the start of the second licence whenever that may be so the end date can be changed. I am 100% certain about this.

• Informative
Reactions: gangzoom
This kicks in after the first-year CO2-based charge, so you’ll pay the supplement from years two to six of the car’s life

Taken from here

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

For example

A dealer registers a £40k car to get their monthly quota, this car then sits on the forecourt unsold for 12 months, which means it won't be taxed. Joe Bloggs comes along and buys the car therefore taxing it for the first time at 1 year old, that would mean if you are correct the tax liability for the supplement would be due from years 3 to 7 as the second year of the cars life is when it was taxed for the first time.

Last edited:
This kicks in after the first-year CO2-based charge, so you’ll pay the supplement from years two to six of the car’s life

Taken from here

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

For example

A dealer registers a £40k car to get their monthly quota, this car then sits on the forecourt unsold for 12 months, which means it won't be taxed. Joe Bloggs comes along and buys the car therefore taxing it for the first time at 1 year old, that would mean if you are correct the tax liability for the supplement would be due from years 3 to 7 as the second year of the cars life is when it was taxed for the first time.

Although widely misquoted the original wording of the legislation was:
"To ensure those who can afford the most expensive cars make a fair contribution, a supplement of £310 will be applied to the SR of cars with a list price (not including VED) over £40,000, for the first 5 years in which a SR is paid."

The key being that the tax kicks in for 5 years starting the first time that the VED Standard Rate (SR) is paid. buying that first Standard rate licence is what starts the clock running and it runs for 5 years. normally this means it runs out on the 6th birthday of the car but there are lots of scenarios where this is not the case. Take variants of your example:

You can't register a car without taxing it, its part of the first registration process so the first licence always starts from when the car is first purchased/ registered so in your scenario above if the unsold car was registered (as you said) as a demonstrator it would be taxed (first licence).

If the dealer sells it at 6 months old then the new owner has to re-tax it he pays the luxury car tax at that point. in which case the end date for that tax is then set to 5 years from that point and therefore ends when the car is 5 years 6 months old.

If the dealer has it for a whole year and re-taxes it at 12 months he pays the LT and the end date is set to the cars 6th birthday

If the dealer SORNS it or maybe sells to another dealer "disposal to trade" which is a bit like SORNing and and therefore no second licence is bought then the clock is on hold. Eventually when it is sold to a member of the public and taxed at say 18 months old then the 5 year clock starts and is now set to when the car is 6 years and 6 months old.

If it wasn't registered then it wasn't registered. the years are years from date of first registration not date of manufacture so this is not really relevant

This only started in April 17 so so far zero cars have run down their 5 year LT clock so no one is really thinking too much about the end dates yet but when April 2022 comes around and the first cars start to reach their end date people will start to realise that this is not fixed and you need to check it and find out exactly when it is for your individual vehicle. fortunately you can do this online, Which is one of the reasons i know the above to be correct I have literally seen the end dates on there. It is provisionally set to 6 years from first registration but once a second licence is bought it always changes to being 5 years from that date.

(drops keyboard and walks away)

All done, probably the easiest £160 to claim back ever. 5 days online counter includes weekends, so SORN Wed and Sunday it's all good to go.

49822628016_2ffe1cfc5d_w_d.jpg

Not sure how that one works but more importantly as you said the car is zero VED. So yes you can just re-tax it from the start of the month any month and therefore move the end date. No SORN needed just go and re-tax.

Apologies for being lazy and not looking for myself, but is this obvious how to do online? It would be great to restart the tax clock from start of May (which would decouple MOT and tax by a more convenient 3 months + few days rather than just a few days) but I've only taxed a car online at purchase before, or using the renewal form details. Not done it mid term before except in old days when I took it to Post Office which is not an option for me atm.

Apologies for being lazy and not looking for myself, but is this obvious how to do online? It would be great to restart the tax clock from start of May (which would decouple MOT and tax by a more convenient 3 months + few days rather than just a few days) but I've only taxed a car online at purchase before, or using the renewal form details. Not done it mid term before except in old days when I took it to Post Office which is not an option for me atm.

yes very straight forward. takes about 30 seconds. Just go here:
Tax your vehicle.
All you need is the V5c reference number (which is on your V5c registration document) and the registration number (which is written on the front and back of the car and on the V5c)
you will get a warning about duplicate overlapping licences but since it's free just ignore it.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
Odd. I reported it and hoped from your post that they had fixed it, but I'm still getting it on various browsers on various devices.

Windows 10
upload_2020-5-2_13-21-41.png

iOS Safari and Edge - both imply network error - obviously not as I got as far as start button
upload_2020-5-2_13-32-16.png upload_2020-5-2_13-30-43.png

I feel several reboots coming on...

Access via PlusNet ISP/Router now restored so a transient error albeit for a couple of days.

Website not registering new date though even though I had got the confirmation email. I'll give it till early next week before chasing. First working day end of day, so hopefully it will update overnight.

Application Made On: 02/05/2020 14:14:03
Vehicle Tax Period: 12 months
Vehicle Tax Amount Paid: GBP 0.00

upload_2020-5-4_20-21-53.png

Access via PlusNet ISP/Router now restored so a transient error albeit for a couple of days.

Website not registering new date though even though I had got the confirmation email. I'll give it till early next week before chasing. First working day end of day, so hopefully it will update overnight.

View attachment 538673
Maybe backend processing does not run at weekend in which case may not show up till after process run Monday Night . So recheck today (Tuesday)