Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Keep Air On When Leaving Vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I have some passengers in my car but need to run into a store for a few minutes, how do I keep the air on so that the car does not automatically turn off and lock when I walk away? Thanks..
If there are people in the car, climate will remain on, and the car will not lock, unless someone inside touches the lock symbol on the display. Media will continue for at least thirty minutes, but it can be refreshed by someone touching the screen.

If there are people in the car, climate will remain on, and the car will not lock, unless someone inside touches the lock symbol on the display. Media will continue for at least thirty minutes, but it can be refreshed by someone touching the screen.
Is this automatic or do you have to use camp or dog mode as indicated by M3BlueGeorgia? Thanks.

Right, I’m just concerned whether the car stays “alive” when I leave my car to run into a store and have a couple passengers stay in the car. I don’t want the a/c and car to turn off on them. Was wondering if the “staying alive” was automatic and if it detects those people still in the car or whether I have to manually turn on camp or dog mode to keep the car’s a/c on. Thanks :)

Right, I’m just concerned whether the car stays “alive” when I leave my car to run into a store and have a couple passengers stay in the car. I don’t want the a/c and car to turn off on them. Was wondering if the “staying alive” was automatic and if it detects those people still in the car or whether I have to manually turn on camp or dog mode to keep the car’s a/c on. Thanks :)
The only reason it would shut down that i can think of, is if the battery was below 20%, but I’ve never tried it. If you are uncertain, just leave your key in the car.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
My vehicle, an older model s but with the upgraded mcu, I just tap the temperature icon and then "keep" is listed right there along with camp mode and dog mode. Just touch keep and it'll stay on until the next time you get in there or it gets down to 20% battery.

Does this not work on the refresh vehicles?

The only reason it would shut down that i can think of, is if the battery was below 20%, but I’ve never tried it. If you are uncertain, just leave your key in the car.
I'm confused by your string of responses, because you've been around for a while. Maybe things have changed with v11 or something, but IIRC, there are a ton of older threads about how all of this shuts off when the driver leaves even if the fob is left in the vehicle. AFAIR, even with the modes available for keeping climate on, the MCU still goes black (or gets disabled as in dog mode). The solution in these threads has always been to tap the MCU right after the driver door closes and/or to press down on the driver seat cushion to trigger the occupancy sensor. Leaving the fob may also be necessary for optimal behavior, but I think the driver occupancy sensor is still key in v11 based on recent memories where I wasn't told otherwise by passengers who I instructed accordingly.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
On my 3, I just leave my driver's door slightly ajar and everything stays on.

Can you do that on the X, or will the door auto-close?
That would probably work if you left the fob, depending onyour definition of "slightly." AFAIK, auto-close would only triggerif the brake or walk away lock was triggered. However, they will soft-close if practically completely closed to begin with.