Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to know if its a new replaced battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have MS 2014. Recent owner of the car mentioned that the battery pack was replaced in Tesla Service by warranty in 2021, but didn't have any documents as a proof. How could i know if its really has been replaced? Can i find that info somewhere hidden on the menu? Or it requires special tools to find the correct information?

Thank you for the reply’s. I am brand new to electric cars, so I apologize for the dumb questions. Would this battery be a red flag? The car drove great and was very clean, but 177k miles is scaring me away.
To be honest I would not buy a 2012-2014 Model S at almost any price. Many early production issues with the battery, drive unit, and other parts that really make these cars increasingly problematic to own.

I’d stick to ~2016+ if you’re looking at a Model S.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
I bought a 2014 Tesla Model S P85+.
The vendor said the battery was changed. The sticker indicates "1088815-01-D / T13L0028379 R1" so I thought it was remanufactured rather than changed, because of the "R".
But I called Tesla and they said the battery was never changed or remanufactured or serviced or anything.
So what does the "R" mean ?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Sorry to barge in, but I just took my chances and bought a 2013 Tesla Model S 60kwh. I checked my battery serial number and if I’m correct this battery was replaced in 2022? Also mine is a 60 and it got replaced with a 85 will I receive the performance gain or no I’m asking this part of the question because the car still says 60 on the computers and everything, sorry if I sound clueless but thanks!
IMG_4845.jpeg

Upvote 0
Most likely they software limited the battery so you cannot charge it all the way. On the flip side, you wouldn't have to worry about degradation due to charging to 100% as often as you want since it would actually be something like 80%.

What is your range at a given state of charge?
Yesterday was the first time I charged the car to 100% and I only received 208 miles which makes me think you are correct the vehicle is indeed software locked. I know this does not change anything but the car is also upgraded to MCU2. I’ve read on forums where you are able to pay Tesla to unlock to the full performance of your new battery but I’m not sure if this goes for these early models. But anyways if it doesn’t I’m happy to have a new battery at the end of the day.

Upvote 0
Unlocking it can be done, it'd be at least $10k but I'm not sure Tesla will do it as a policy.
You got lucky. My battery was replaced (under warranty) around the same time and I got a 400V 85, the same as my original. It takes almost twice as long to supercharge as yours will. I really wish I got the new 350V battery.

You have the benefit of charging to 208 every day if you want, and quicker supercharging all the way through.

Upvote 0