Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make Model 3 as light as possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have finally decided to see how fast I really can go at the Dragstrip. The last Test and Tune of the season is next Saturday and I want to make the car lighter.

I tried removing the front passenger seat. I got down to where there were only two cables attached to the seat but I couldn't figure out how to remove the connections without damaging them.

I couldn't get the passenger seat cable nearest to the center console to detach. It is wedged up against some hard plastic on the seat and I just couldn't figure out where the release for that connection is. Have any of you completely removed the passenger seat? How did you detach the numerous cables?

I also had trouble with the cable/cables that appear to go up into the seat back. I have aftermarket seat covers so I couldn't access the seat backs. Are those connections difficult to remove?

Is there anyway to disconnect the entire wiring harness in the car itself instead of removing it from the seat with the dozen or so connections? Is there a single connection that you can undo and remove the seat with the wiring harness still attached?

Any videos or instructions on how to get the Front seat out or any of the seats would help me. It needs to be non destructive. However, I could use help removing the seats or any of the Frunk components too.

Upvote 0
I found the answer to my question today. You absolutely should not try to disconnect the wiring from the seat. There is a main wiring harness that runs from the seat down the door sill and into the right side of the footwell. There is a single connector there with a white plastic clip that rotates out to allow the clip to be removed.

Front passenger seat can easily be removed in about 10 minutes if you can unclip the seat belt connector quickly. I separator the connector and then pry’d it apart to release both latches.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
I guess you figured out the front seats. The rear seats that thread already gave you tips.

I noticed there was concern about reusing the rear bolsters. At least for my 2021 Model 3, I was able to remove the bolsters and put them back on without damaging anything.

I bought seat covers with bolster covers which required removing them to install. The instruction video at around 3:30 shows how to remove the rear bolsters (pulling and pushing in the two spots shown):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GPSJG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If however you plan to install and uninstall regularly (as opposed to only doing it once in a long while as like installing seat covers), I can see why you might not want to do that, as the clips may break eventually.

Here's a whole post on removing the backseat (in a similar thread about weight reduction):
Reducing weight

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Upvote 0
I have finally decided to see how fast I really can go at the Dragstrip. The last Test and Tune of the season is next Saturday and I want to make the car lighter.

I tried removing the front passenger seat. I got down to where there were only two cables attached to the seat but I couldn't figure out how to remove the connections without damaging them.

I couldn't get the passenger seat cable nearest to the center console to detach. It is wedged up against some hard plastic on the seat and I just couldn't figure out where the release for that connection is. Have any of you completely removed the passenger seat? How did you detach the numerous cables?

I also had trouble with the cable/cables that appear to go up into the seat back. I have aftermarket seat covers so I couldn't access the seat backs. Are those connections difficult to remove?

Is there anyway to disconnect the entire wiring harness in the car itself instead of removing it from the seat with the dozen or so connections? Is there a single connection that you can undo and remove the seat with the wiring harness still attached?

Any videos or instructions on how to get the Front seat out or any of the seats would help me. It needs to be non destructive. However, I could use help removing the seats or any of the Frunk components too.
I’ve actually removed the passenger seat once on my model 3. You will need to disconnect that wiring harness on the passenger side the wires are underneath the carpet and run along side the bottom frame next to door. The hardest part i found is removing the seatbelt from the seat. Ideally the only way to remove it is with a key that tesla uses and we all know how tesla feels about selling tools to consumers. A youtuber discovered a way to get around this by removing the plastic seat controls on the side and unbolting the seat belt pretensioner assembly.
Here’s the link to video: Skip to minute 2:50

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Upvote 0