Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make plaid accelerate faster ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would an oversize rear spoiler give you better acceleration ?
Nope, they are typically meant to produce downforce and that creates drag, so they do the opposite, slow you down. That’s why f1 cars have DRS (drag reduction system) capable wings so that they can reduce the downforce, typically needed to go really fast around turns, on the wide straight away passing zones.

I do recall unplugged performance having a rear spoiler for the model 3 that was engineered to make the car more aerodynamic by reducing drag but it’s not by much.

Decreasing car weight or decreasing rotational inertia by lighter wheels/tires will NOT improve acceleration under about 80 mph as acceleration is TRACTION limited not torque limited. If the torque was not limited the plaid could melt the tires on the pavement at any speed under 80 mph. It is simple physics. Over about 80 mph the plaid needs more than 1,000 hp to break the tires loose and thus weight saving will improve acceleration as long as the control system allows it. The torque reduction below 80 mph is to make the car safe to drive at maximum acceleration and protection of the driveline for longevity reasons as well. Beyond the traction issue, this tesla is so sophisticated i wouldn't be surprised if accelerometers or calculations via GPS aren't used as well to limit acceleration performance.
False

My acceleration G's
are much harder than full stock plaid

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Enjoy what you have. Better is the enemy of good.

Even Top Fuel Dragster drives say that after a while they get used to the violent acceleration. Things slow down in their mind and they can concentrate on the little things to keep safe and go faster.

Reactions: Drew-MS
weight reduction
suspension tweak to put power to pavement
stickier tires
weight distribution

traction control tweaks

just did that yesterday, there is still room for improvement
Very impressed with your dedication to turn your plaid into a dragster. A .5 second and 6 mph gain compared to stock is pretty significant. I assume lots of time went into this project. Cheers

Reactions: GSP
What do you guys think of a gear ratio update?

Plaid has 7.5:1
P100D has 9.7? I think…
Model y has 8.9? i think…

Or what about cyberbeast gears?
That thing has a top speed of 130mph…imagine the low end torque of those gears in a plaid???? Traction limited for sure.

9.7 in the plaid wouldn’t get you to 200mph but it would get you to 100mph quicker due to more torque multiplication.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
What do you guys think of a gear ratio update?

Plaid has 7.5:1
P100D has 9.7? I think…
Model y has 8.9? i think…

Or what about cyberbeast gears?
That thing has a top speed of 130mph…imagine the low end torque of those gears in a plaid???? Traction limited for sure.

9.7 in the plaid wouldn’t get you to 200mph but it would get you to 100mph quicker due to more torque multiplication.

Any thoughts?

As I mentioned in the other post, there's nothing that's swappable currently. Maybe the CT gears will be, but that setup is for torque not HP. The plaid simply needs to be able to stick more power to the pavement on launch, or it needs more HP on the top end.

Every racer always wants faster and faster, but there's limitations on EVs when we can't get into the computer and modify power delivery...and rightfully so, because people having no clue what they're doing can change one setting, stall current, and fry all three motors in 1 second.

Reactions: Mash
Force = mass
Decreasing car weight or decreasing rotational inertia by lighter wheels/tires will NOT improve acceleration under about 80 mph as acceleration is TRACTION limited not torque limited. If the torque was not limited the plaid could melt the tires on the pavement at any speed under 80 mph. It is simple physics. Over about 80 mph the plaid needs more than 1,000 hp to break the tires loose and thus weight saving will improve acceleration as long as the control system allows it. The torque reduction below 80 mph is to make the car safe to drive at maximum acceleration and protection of the driveline for longevity reasons as well. Beyond the traction issue, this tesla is so sophisticated i wouldn't be surprised if accelerometers or calculations via GPS aren't used as well to limit acceleration performance.

Acceleration (a) is related to propulsive force (F) and mass (m) as follows: F = m*a. Therefore a = F/m

Keeping F constant, lower mass will result in proportionally higher acceleration: 50% less mass will double acceleration.
How the propulsive force F is produced is marginally relevant if we neglect the fact that higher mass will increase tire adherence and therefore F.

Lower rotational inertia is the equivalent of lower mass in linear movement. So the same logic is applicable:
It takes less torque to accelerate a rotating mobile with less inertia just as it takes less force to accelerate a linear mobile with less mass.

I hope this helps and I did not upset anyone...

Reactions: GSP and Sam1
Force = mass

Acceleration (a) is related to propulsive force (F) and mass (m) as follows: F = m*a. Therefore a = F/m

Keeping F constant, lower mass will result in proportionally higher acceleration: 50% less mass will double acceleration.
How the propulsive force F is produced is marginally relevant if we neglect the fact that higher mass will increase tire adherence and therefore F.

Lower rotational inertia is the equivalent of lower mass in linear movement. So the same logic is applicable:
It takes less torque to accelerate a rotating mobile with less inertia just as it takes less force to accelerate a linear mobile with less mass.

Traction isn't constant in this application, and the car compensates for variations in traction by manipulating F.

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Force = mass

Couple things to keep in mind:

Air resistance will still be working against you and become the bigger factor over the mass of the vehicle as speed increases. And as @Sam1 noted above, the car is traction limited and is constantly manipulating the "f" of your equation to avoid wheel spin.

You'll find on the EPA web site a detailed mathematical model of EACH car sold in the US.
It allows you to compute the total resistance to advancement (so called Road Load).
It is pretty amazing and incredibly precise (whether it is accurate I can't judge but there seem to be serious fines for incorrectly modeling the cars).
The mathematical model uses only 3 coefficients: A,B and C to give you the Road Load in kW for any speed.
A is a constant, B is a factor to the vehicle's speed and C is a factor to the vehicle's speed squared which would be aerodynamic drag.
It is very easy to plug any speed into this and compute the road load.
As of roughly 50 mph, aerodynamic drag is dominant as one would expect.

Anecdote:
This data tells us that the 2021+ Model S Long Range has significantly MORE drag than the Plaid (!)
So if you own a LR, you now have a golden excuse to

GET YOURSELF THAT CARBON FIBER PLAID SPOILER :)

And if "she" still won't let you, go ahead and compute Road Load to show "her" how quickly it pays for itself!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Bouba