Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to manually tell battery to preheat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to start a trip on a cold morning. Car parked outside with no charger nearby. How do I preheat battery for 30min to get better range? I do NOT want to preheat cabin, just battery. Is there a way in app or car display to preheat the battery? I am on v9 software if that helps.

I don't have an answer to your exact question, but I don't think it's possible.

However, if the choice is to leave the car sat still for 30 minutes as it pre-heats (using up battery power since there's no charger nearby), and then drive it. Or just get in and start driving. I would suspect you'll get better overall range from just driving, since the act of driving will heat the battery.

The only option that comes to mind which might make sense, would be if you had any power source near by (standard 110/15a socket), maybe you could connect to that and start it charging, which would heat up the battery somewhat.

I want to start a trip on a cold morning. Car parked outside with no charger nearby. How do I preheat battery for 30min to get better range?
That doesn't make any sense and is impossible. The car would not be plugged in. You want to use up a bunch of the energy out of the battery (range) to heat the battery so that you can have more range. You can't waste range to get more range. If you just start driving, the car will heat the battery up then, and you wouldn't be just wasting the energy sitting still.

I want to start a trip on a cold morning. Car parked outside with no charger nearby. How do I preheat battery for 30min to get better range? I do NOT want to preheat cabin, just battery. Is there a way in app or car display to preheat the battery? I am on v9 software if that helps.
Get in the car and drive. The energy you're expending to warm up the battery is the reason your range is decreased. If you're not on shore power, then there's no benefit to warming the battery before you start moving.

If you want to maximize the range on a cold battery, I believe you can enable range mode. That should limit the warming of both the battery and cabin.

If you're plugged in, then pre-heating the cabin will bring the battery up to operating temp as well.

Thanks everyone. Looks like pre-heating is just unnecessary.
That may depend on your definition of necessary.

For instance, how long do you need your battery to last? Made up numbers follow: Perhaps each cold start reduces battery life by .01 days while the preconditioning would bring that down to .005 or .001 days. The fact of the matter is we don't have enough information available to know what is best for the battery pack(s) in question.

OTOH, consider the necessity of a Tesla in general. Let's say there is none and persons driving Teslas are doing so primarily because they want to. In this case, if said persons want regen to behave the same at the start of their drive as it does when the battery is warmed up, then preconditioning the battery is as necessary as ownership of the Tesla to begin with. However, if one believes it is absolutely necessary to own a Tesla because anything else would destroy the environment, then that person preconditioning is arguably evil unless the Tesla will only be charged using clean energy.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
That may depend on your definition of necessary.

For instance, how long do you need your battery to last? Made up numbers follow: Perhaps each cold start reduces battery life by .01 days while the preconditioning would bring that down to .005 or .001 days. The fact of the matter is we don't have enough information available to know what is best for the battery pack(s) in question.

Yes, that is true too. It could be a good software feature, and I am sure Tesla gets lots of requests every day.

can't pre-heat the battery without pre-heating the cabin. Not sure why you wouldn't want to pre-heat the cabin though.

If there is no charger like you said, no point in wasting that energy in pre-heating the battery. That only helps with regen, and the effect on range is negligible. You're going to lose more potential range than getting back on 30kw regen.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
For instance, how long do you need your battery to last? Made up numbers follow: Perhaps each cold start reduces battery life by .01 days while the preconditioning would bring that down to .005 or .001 days.
Why do you think that:
drawing energy from the battery to warm itself up
is different from
drawing energy from the battery to warm itself up?

If you get in the car and drive, it will turn on the battery heater. If you "precondition", it will...wait for it...turn on the battery heater.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
I was under the impression that once you start driving the car, the warmth of the motor and stator would help warm up the battery and not use the coolant heater as much.

battery heater.JPG

I was under the impression that once you start driving the car, the warmth of the motor and stator would help warm up the battery and not use the coolant heater as much.

View attachment 346631

Yes, the way batteries work is when you discharge them, they discharge heat. the more power you discharge, the more heat you get.

The battery heater only helps it warm faster, but isn't necessary really. thats why model 3 battery packs have no battery heater.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA