Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to prevent from further Corrosion on Axle Shaft and Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wwuwxa1

Aug 8, 2023
NSW
I removed the center cap today and found the corrosions on the axle shaft and hub
20230808_100722.jpg

As I said I got this tesla 3 in early February 2023, Within 6 months the rust looks a bit serious. I work from home and usually us it during weekends. The corrosion seems only to one of the wheels. The others look shining without any rust.

Upvote 0
Thanks Persitus for your advice. However, none of friend's tesla 3 has such rust issue. some friend's car has run for 37,000km without any rust.
If you spray water on it and don't dry immediately, those areas will rust very quickly (that's what I happened to me when I cleaned my wheels and didn't wipe those areas dry). If they didn't get any rust there, most likely they never had direct water contact on those areas (which is generally the case if the covers are always on or if they had a center cap on). Appears to be mostly surface rust however, so I doubt it will affect much.

If it bothers you, as others mentioned, you can remove the rust and apply some anti-rust coating on it.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
As I said I got this tesla 3 in early February 2023, Within 6 months the rust looks a bit serious. I work from home and usually us it during weekends. The corrosion seems only to one of the wheels. The others look shining without any rust.
It's not serious. It's completely normal. The axle stub and the hub are bare steel and therefore susceptible to surface rust. As has been stated before, if you don't like it, apply corrosion protection.

Upvote 0