Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to protect a charging cable from every-day wear and tear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
09A4D889-E41E-4BEE-A959-51569E00AB3F.jpeg
F78E8861-65CC-445F-A0C4-4D7329BCC636.jpeg
My Tesla Wall Charger is mounted on the wall opposite my Model 3’s charging port. So I have a 24’ cable, and a large part of it lies on and gets dragged across my rough and gritty garage floor whenever I charge my car. I started to worry about wear and tear on the cable. The thought that I would need to replace it someday had me seeing $$$$.

So... how to protect my cable from my rough garage floor? The solution is a 10’ corrugated protective cable sleeve. It is 1” in diameter, and it is slit along its entire length, so it is super-easy to slip onto the cable wherever you need it. A sleeve like this is easy to find at hardware stores or online (Amazon) in just about any length, and it is absolutely doing the job for me as intended! I highly recommend!

On a somewhat related note, I noticed that the cord on my mobile connector that came with my model 3 has multiple cracks and a few small chunks missing from the black outer (rubber?) jacket. I've probably only used it 20 times or so in the last 2 years as I have a Tesla wall connector at home. It normally stays coiled up in the case that Tesla supplied it in in the lower trunk of the car. It kind of seems like the cord can't take being coiled like that for long periods. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? I'm wondering if it is a defect and if I should be asking Tesla for a replacement.

Reactions: MumblzA10