Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor How to Protect Your Tesla From Scratches and Dents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This is a sponsored post from Opti-Coat, which offers a range of professional protective coatings for cars.

Tesla cars are at the forefront of electric car design. If you want a car that helps to protect the future of the planet, a Tesla is an excellent choice. It’s true that Teslas can still be on the expensive side, but Tesla is dedicated to providing affordable sustainable driving for all, in the long term.

So, it seems that Teslas could be the way forward. Unfortunately, if you become a Tesla owner, you will still have some of the same problems that owners of non-electric cars have. This includes protecting your vehicle from scratches and dents. Any car can be susceptible to damage; such as chips from stones or scratches from the doors of other cars. But, there are ways in which you can reduce the chances of this type of damage happening to your vehicle.

Use protection for your car

Screen-Shot-2018-01-23-at-10.45.25-AM.png
The majority of people buy a car to use on a regular basis. This means that the car is exposed to the elements, and to the driving of other people. Vehicles can also be damaged by loose stones, or falling debris from trees and bushes. This is why it can be a good idea to protect your car using stone chip protection film. In addition to doing this, it’s worth taking actions that help to limit the potential for damage to your car.

Think about how and where you park

Screen-Shot-2018-01-23-at-10.45.41-AM.png
People who are in a rush, or who are harassed, do not always concentrate on what they are doing. For instance, it’s all too easy for a stressed out mother to let her car door come into contact with the paint work of your Tesla, as she tries to get her children in or out of her car. The best way to protect your vehicle against this type of damage is to find an area of the car park which is empty, even if this means that you have to walk a bit further, from your car to your destination. If you are faced with the prospect of a packed car park, why not park a bit further away, on a quiet street.

Keep your vehicle in a garage

If you have a garage, you should keep your Tesla in it, when it’s not in use. Often, it can seem easier to just leave your car parked on the driveway of your home. But, doing this leaves your car exposed to debris that is blown by the wind, hailstones and other issues caused by Mother Nature. This exposure can quickly lead to your vehicle becoming dented and scratched.

Do not use your car as a shelf

This may seem like strange advice. But, people do leave items on their car quite often. How many times have you placed a bag or parcel on the rood of your Tesla, while you unlocked the door to your home, or gathered up other packages? Any objects which comes into contact with your car can cause scratches, so the best idea is to avoid the issue.

Cars are meant to be used, so they are exposed to potential damage every day. Using the tips, we have provided should help to limit the amount of damage that your vehicle sustains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are things we should all know already..... even though a lot of people do not seem to care about their cars, from what I see. I figure if they don't care about their OWN car, they sure don't care about someone else's car. That being said, what I want is something further to protect my car and its finish. I will be taking delivery of my Model S next month and want some type of wrap (Ceramic Pro or a 3M wrap or something along those lines) to be applied to my car as soon as I get it. What I do NOT know is WHAT to have put on my car and I need people who have had experience with this type of product to give me their first hand advice. My car may never have a "ding" from someone else's car door but there are those things like rocks and even someone walking by my car who might get a little too close and even scratch it. I'd prefer that scratch to be in the protective coating and not my car's paint. Thoughts anyone?