Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to put the maintenance panel back on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my new Model Y and my first impulse was to look "under the hood".to see what I can or should service when necessary. That started a chain of events that burned up my day.
I read the manual and it doesn't say much about removing the maintenance panel -- essentially to pull up to get it out, and to do a good job when putting it back.
I got it out OK, although I was afraid to break the thin plastic; so it took me a while, but nothing broke. I saw what I wanted to see, but I'm not sure it was worth it.
Putting it back on proved to be almost impossible. The main problem is that the front of the maintenance panel attaches to the rear of the thin plastic trunk. You have to push hard on the fasteners to insert them into their holes and the thin plastic trunk bends away instead of letting you push hard enough to get the fastener's into their holes.
I spent literally hours trying to get it back on . I got it on and I don't think I broke anything, but not all the fasteners are attached.
I can't believe that it is this hard -- especially since we all are likely to need to remove that panel at some point. There must be a trick. Does anyone know what it is?

So what exactly is underneath that panel that us as owner will need access someday?

12 volt battery and brake fluid. Although the car will tell you to replace the 12 volt battery with a message when it's needed. The brake fluid needs to be checked every two years (per the manual). I'm assuming you check the brake fluid with a test strip and replace, if needed, every two years like ICE cars. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and can absorb water over time.

12 volt battery and brake fluid. Although the car will tell you to replace the 12 volt battery with a message when it's needed. The brake fluid needs to be checked every two years (per the manual). I'm assuming you check the brake fluid with a test strip and replace, if needed, every two years like ICE cars. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and can absorb water over time.
Reason why I'm asking is shouldn't access to this panel be left with the pros given its difficult nature to put back on?

• Funny
Reactions: CyberShy
Let's not argue about whether or not I should be looking under the maintenance panel. The manual tells us to remove it, and just jumping the battery (per the manual) is enough reason for me.
Mechanics must have a way of reattaching it without spending all day like I did. Does anyone know an easy way to re-install it?

Reactions: kevin1
Let's not argue about whether or not I should be looking under the maintenance panel. The manual tells us to remove it, and just jumping the battery (per the manual) is enough reason for me.
Mechanics must have a way of reattaching it without spending all day like I did. Does anyone know an easy way to re-install it?
Wait, where in the manual describes “jumping the battery?”

@techniq
I marked the location of the push-clip with a "silver" sharpie, just a dot - so I know where exactly to push down. If it still loose at that point - it means the push-clip did not go in. So, far it works. The clip on the sides break easily as Sandy Monroe points out to Tesla.
20200705_162040.jpg

@techniq
I marked the location of the push-clip with a "silver" sharpie, just a dot - so I know where exactly to push down. If it still loose at that point - it means the push-clip did not go in. So, far it works. The clip on the sides break easily as Sandy Monroe points out to Tesla.
View attachment 560857

Thanks for your input.
Actually, I tried marking the fasteners. I used small Avery labels, which I could peel off later, but your silver dots look much better. It helped, but I still couldn't connect three fasteners at the front center of the panel. I could get the fasteners and the holes aligned perfectly; but when I tried to push them together, the bending down and away of the holes in the trunk messed up the alignment. There is no way I could find to support the holes at the back of the trunk because the panel covers the work area. Tesla really should have designed a metal support bracket for the back of the trunk.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
All I can say is that you may have to try the opposite of what’s not been working.

Work front to back instead of the opposite, or inside to outside, or left to right, etc. Try bending the cover slightly one way or another. Your problem may simply be clip alignment, It may also be that the part itself is warped from the factory and the worker never installed it properly or he had a heck of a time getting it right himself.

Inspect the clips to make sure you didn’t bend any out of shape.

Sandy Monroe removed this cover and showed how poorly designed the side clips were. I don’t know if he showed himself re-attaching it.

Once you get the technique down, If you do, please share what works. Think of it as a puzzle and remember that there’s a guy on the line whose only job is likely to install this panel. If he can do hundreds per day, you can do one.

It took me 20 minutes to get mine fastened correctly. I had to start with the clips closest to the storage area in the frunk, holding the back up slightly, and at the same time pushing from the inside of the frunk storage area to create upward stability of the point where the fasteners must click into place. All in all, it was a major PITA, and too much effort to secure. However, there was a marked difference in noise coming from the front of the vehicle on the highway and over bumps now that it is firmly attached all around. I did break one of the small black plastic side clips where the frunk storage black plastic cover and the maintenance cover meet, but it really didn't seem to have any effect on stability. Maybe my mobile service appointment next week will have one or can bring one with them?

I will want to take this back off when RPM or another aftermarket company makes a filter for the under-hood cabin air intake as they do for the M3, because I've seen the videos/pics where a ton of debris gets into this area. I can't believe there isn't at least a screen to stop leaves from going into this area.

• Informative
Reactions: na5m and CyberShy
It took me 20 minutes to get mine fastened correctly. I had to start with the clips closest to the storage area in the frunk, holding the back up slightly, and at the same time pushing from the inside of the frunk storage area to create upward stability of the point where the fasteners must click into place. All in all, it was a major PITA, and too much effort to secure. However, there was a marked difference in noise coming from the front of the vehicle on the highway and over bumps now that it is firmly attached all around. I did break one of the small black plastic side clips where the frunk storage black plastic cover and the maintenance cover meet, but it really didn't seem to have any effect on stability. Maybe my mobile service appointment next week will have one or can bring one with them?

I will want to take this back off when RPM or another aftermarket company makes a filter for the under-hood cabin air intake as they do for the M3, because I've seen the videos/pics where a ton of debris gets into this area. I can't believe there isn't at least a screen to stop leaves from going into this area.
Thanks! That is the kind of response I was hoping for.
I actually tried what you are suggesting without success, but you have inspired me to try it again. I will do that later today and re-post.
i am a newbie. Who is RPM?

Reactions: na5m

OK, i tried it again -- same result. The top-rear of that trunk bucket is just too flexible. The 4 clips in the center-front of the maintenance panel won't attach. The others are easy, but leaving it this way is unacceptable to me. Fortunately, I haven't broken anything -- yet.
I will contact Tesla. I will keep monitoring this forum and once I find a solution I will post it. Wish me luck!

Reactions: na5m
OK, i tried it again -- same result. The top-rear of that trunk bucket is just too flexible. The 4 clips in the center-front of the maintenance panel won't attach. The others are easy, but leaving it this way is unacceptable to me. Fortunately, I haven't broken anything -- yet.
I will contact Tesla. I will keep monitoring this forum and once I find a solution I will post it. Wish me luck!

GOOD LUCK