Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Replicate OnStar Functions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
Over the years my wife and I have become used to the services provided by OnStar. In my wife's case, addicted. Hence my question, how best to replicate the following functions:

Safety alert when airbags deployed (essentially an automated 911 call, but through OnStar network))
Emergency Assistance ( accidents, incidents, medical, etc. through OnStar network)
Sirius/XM (not an OnStar function, but also included with GM cars)
Directions and Connections (Find an address by voice and d/l voice directions and map routing - also telephone service through OnStar network)
Weather and weather radar displays
Roadside Assistance
Support for Android and Apple Car Play

This is not an OnStar commercial. Because of our family business (recently sold) GM cars have been part of our DNA. GM has offered OnStar in all or most vehicles since the late 90's. It works very well, but subscriptions are not cheap once the grace period disappears. I suspect that streaming services exist to provide most, if not all of these functions. What do you folks recommend?

Thanks!

I think Tesla will call in the even of an airbag deployment (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
911 is faster from critical medical incidents or in non life threatening situations.
Satellite radio is on it's way out, it can still be used through the Sirius/XM app on your phone
The voice controls for navigation can find places by name, address, or by criteria: "Navigate to Parana Bread" "Navigate to 1234 Anyroad"
You can access virtually any weather website through the web browser, including several websites that are optimized for Tesla browsers
Roadside assistance is two taps away on the screen (tap the "T" logo and then the roadside assistance link)
No support for Android or Apple Carplay but it does have it's own web browser and it's own native support for many media streaming services.

When my wife bought her Bolt about a year ago, I thought the salesman said that OnStar was basically going away because most of the functions it provides are readily available on our smartphones these days. It might not be quite human concierge level, but Google Assistant and Siri aren't too shabby. And in the case of a Tesla, I find that the voice commands for navigation and calling contacts are excellent (I know not everyone has this experience).

As for Android Auto/Apple Car Play, I must say that while I initially was disappointed to hear that the Model 3 would not have these features, after seeing how it actually works in my wife's car, I'll take the Tesla UI any day. Starting with the fact that she has to physically plug the phone in to the car, it doesn't appear to have any advantage over what I can do using Tesla (albeit it's different), with one exception, and that is the ability to handle messages...something that is a valid and frequent complaint with Tesla. In fact, Android Auto seems to "take over" the display, so it's always a pain to "get back" to the car's native UI to do something simple like change the radio station. Maybe there is some shortcut or easy way to do this, but she's had the car for over a year now and it's still awkward.

I do understand that there is a comfort level at play here, and that's understandable. But I think once you get used to the Tesla UI, it will eventually seem just as natural to you as the OnStar functions you are already used to.

Reactions: jpfive
I think Tesla will call in the even of an airbag deployment (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I've read reports from Tesla owners where Tesla called them after they got in a car accident, although I'm not sure that you can rely on it, but it definitely has happened in the past. I used to work for OnStar. It's a great service. I think most people would be shocked at how much technology, infrastructure, software, people resources went into delivering the OnStar service. I'm now a happy Tesla owner.

... and that is the ability to handle messages...something that is a valid and frequent complaint with Tesla. In fact, Android Auto seems to "take over" the display, so it's always a pain to "get back" to the car's native UI to do something simple like change the radio station. Maybe there is some shortcut or easy way to do this, but she's had the car for over a year now and it's still awkward..

On the Volt, you click the Home button and Android Auto is once again one of the 6(8) tiles available. I have not been in a Bolt in 3 years, so do not remember how it was accomplished there.
The messages are what I worry about most. While some people do not care, that is how my family contacts me with important or urgent information, and it is awesome to be able to have text to speech read out the message and reply via voice.

I have heard that Elon mentioned it as upcoming, and I am very hopeful that it is soon.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20191212_104526_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20191212_104526_LI.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 93
While I agree that CaryPlay/Android Auto are highly unlikely NEVER say never when you are dealing with Elon. A simple one word Tweet like "Sure" could change that in the next update.:eek::D

On the other hand there's stuff Elon said that years later still hasn't happened...

Originally he said there'd be an SDK released for the infotainment system (this was a LONG time ago).

Then he said they were gonna do their own screen-mirroring system instead (like a Tesla made version of AA/Carplay). That was in 2016 and hasn't happened.

They also were going to add waypoints in nav when V9 came out over a year ago. Then that never happened (and still hasn't in V10- despite this being a feature GPSes have offered for longer than Tesla has been making cars)

Or hell- less than 5 months ago someone asked Musk if V10 would include reading text messages to the driver.

He said Yes.

2 months later V10 releases. Didn't happen.

Elon Musk on Twitter