TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How to tell Autopilot is actually activated?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Bebop, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Bebop

Bebop Member

I found a Model S I'm interested at a Toyota Dealership from another state. This will be my first Tesla. How can you tell without actually driving the car if Autopilot is in fact activated?

It seems like the car does, in fact, have the hardware when I asked them to check the front wheels and there were sensors at the very front part of the front wheels. Of course, I'm going to be getting photos soon to double check.

So anyways...can you tell through the dashboard monitor if it indeed is literally activated?

Thanks!

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

Just because it has the ultrasonic sensors doesn't mean it has autopilot. A better check would be to have them check for the camera in front of the rear view mirror.

To see if autopilot us enabled, you can go to Controls - Driver Assistance and see what settings (such as Autopilot) are listed.

Also, if you provide the VIN, wee could check sites such as TeslaInventory.com to see if it had previously been listed online.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Call tesla with the vin...

Try

Controls -> settings (top) -> driver assistance

Along top should be auto steer on/off if enabled.

The sensors in front of the wheel are ultrasonic. Cars before AP1 or AP2 had those.

Get a picture of the rear view mirror housing from the outside front of the car.

• Like x 1
  4. Bebop

Bebop Member

Awesome. Thank you all so much!

5. Bebop

Bebop Member

The fact that the VIN is above 52000 and it's a 2014, gives me good inclination that it indeed has the hardware. So I'm hoping it actually does. Just gotta check if it literally is activated.

6. kev1n

kev1n Member

if you call Tesla with the VIN, they should be able to give you an answer

• Like x 1
  7. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Physical examinations of the hardware will not tell you. MANY Tesla's and all newer Teslas have the hardware, but the software must have been purchased as well. The options in the "Driving" menu will give it away.

8. MorrisonHiker

If it didn't have the hardware, there would be no reason to look at the Driver Assistance menu.

9. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

True, now that you put it that way. But no examination of the hardware can confirm it's presence I guess is what I'm saying. But you are right; the absence of the hardware can confirm its absence.

10. JonG

JonG Member

On pre facelift cars you can see the hardware pretty easily from a picture - there will be a rectangular sensor in the lower front grill if it has it. To know whether it's activated, as others have said, you need to check the menus.

• Like x 1
  11. hmmm

hmmm Member

Ask them to take the car for a spin and FT you in real time, then see if the blue little steering wheel shows up on the dash when it's activated?

12. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

What he said.

The other way is while driving, on the driver console you see the icon of the wheel next to speedometer

13. MorrisonHiker

It's possible that the car has autopilot activated but if it isn't enabled on in the Controls, the steering wheel won't show up when driving. I found this out the hard way when AP2 hardware first received Autopilot functionality. I drove around town but could never see it or activate it since it wasn't enabled yet. :oops:

14. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

I had AP1 and no steering wheel showed up until i had the software to activate it. I just activate it yesterday. Cruise Control still work, but that was it.