Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell Autopilot is actually activated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bebop

Jun 25, 2017
Midwest
I found a Model S I'm interested at a Toyota Dealership from another state. This will be my first Tesla. How can you tell without actually driving the car if Autopilot is in fact activated?

It seems like the car does, in fact, have the hardware when I asked them to check the front wheels and there were sensors at the very front part of the front wheels. Of course, I'm going to be getting photos soon to double check.

So anyways...can you tell through the dashboard monitor if it indeed is literally activated?

Thanks!

I found a Model S I'm interested at a Toyota Dealership from another state. This will be my first Tesla. How can you tell without actually driving the car if Autopilot is in fact activated?

It seems like the car does, in fact, have the hardware when I asked them to check the front wheels and there were sensors at the very front part of the front wheels. Of course, I'm going to be getting photos soon to double check.

So anyways...can you tell through the dashboard monitor if it indeed is literally activated?

Thanks!
Just because it has the ultrasonic sensors doesn't mean it has autopilot. A better check would be to have them check for the camera in front of the rear view mirror.

To see if autopilot us enabled, you can go to Controls - Driver Assistance and see what settings (such as Autopilot) are listed.

Also, if you provide the VIN, wee could check sites such as TeslaInventory.com to see if it had previously been listed online.

Call tesla with the vin...

Try

Controls -> settings (top) -> driver assistance

Along top should be auto steer on/off if enabled.

The sensors in front of the wheel are ultrasonic. Cars before AP1 or AP2 had those.

Get a picture of the rear view mirror housing from the outside front of the car.

Reactions: Bebop
On pre facelift cars you can see the hardware pretty easily from a picture - there will be a rectangular sensor in the lower front grill if it has it. To know whether it's activated, as others have said, you need to check the menus.

Reactions: Hubris
Call tesla with the vin...

Try

Controls -> settings (top) -> driver assistance

Along top should be auto steer on/off if enabled.

The sensors in front of the wheel are ultrasonic. Cars before AP1 or AP2 had those.

Get a picture of the rear view mirror housing from the outside front of the car.
What he said.

The other way is while driving, on the driver console you see the icon of the wheel next to speedometer

The other way is while driving, on the driver console you see the icon of the wheel next to speedometer
It's possible that the car has autopilot activated but if it isn't enabled on in the Controls, the steering wheel won't show up when driving. I found this out the hard way when AP2 hardware first received Autopilot functionality. I drove around town but could never see it or activate it since it wasn't enabled yet. :oops: