Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if mobile access is turned off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that this is a new thing. I picked up my car from service on Friday and the app kept saying that mobile access was not enabled. I double checked, triple checked, logged out, logged in, uninstalled, re-installed, etc... Finally I called support. They said that there is a new feature that will lock you out if there is an open repair order. I guess the login process checks this database now and if it finds an open order it gives you the message. They told me to call my service center and have them close out the repair order. I did and then the app started working fine. I would hope that a future app update would give a more informative error message.
I do agree, quite infuriating, wasn't it? Communication from the Tesla staff during the repair process or a change in the error message could have saved hours of frustration (and points off my blood pressure).

Nov 2016 - supposedly this is a "new" thing. My car got damaged while waiting for service (sounds like this happens a lot, WTF?), and since there was an open ticket for repair, even though I did get possession of my car back until the service and repair could be completed, remote access had been disabled by Tesla. Unfortunately they DID NOT INFORM ME of this, I was going nuts deleting, reinstalling, resetting, etc. By reading this thread I see that it is maybe not a new thing, yet another fib told to the customer.

Just wondering how they are going to handle things once the tide swells with Model 3 owners in a few years. If not for this site we would all be in the absolute dark instead of just wearing very dirty glasses.
I can confirm that this is a new thing. I picked up my car from service on Friday and the app kept saying that mobile access was not enabled. I double checked, triple checked, logged out, logged in, uninstalled, re-installed, etc... Finally I called support. They said that there is a new feature that will lock you out if there is an open repair order. I guess the login process checks this database now and if it finds an open order it gives you the message. They told me to call my service center and have them close out the repair order. I did and then the app started working fine. I would hope that a future app update would give a more informative error message.

Yes, what is new is the automation. In the API, there is a new field as of maybe two months ago with "in_service=true/false". When that is true, the app will complain that remote access is off. It should be noted that the car still is communicating with HQ though as 1) the raw API data does provide idle, driving, sleep, etc. status, 2) the app still provides notifications about certain actions such as car alarm, charging started, charging complete, "move your car you idiot so others can use the charger", charger disconnected, etc. and 3) the Service Center's system can still view and remote access the car.

• Informative
Reactions: lucy