Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell which supercharger is fast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to figure out how to pick the correct charging station when I'm at a supercharger site. My TM3P+ can only get 50kW on the different chargers I've tried at our local 150kW supercharger site. I've tried at different SOCs, from around 20% and up to around 70%. I always precondition. Right now my car has been charging for 10 minutes, plus 15 minute precondition, and it's still only at 50kW.
I assume it has something to do with the stations and not the car?

I'm trying to figure out how to pick the correct charging station when I'm at a supercharger site. My TM3P+ can only get 50kW on the different chargers I've tried at our local 150kW supercharger site. I've tried at different SOCs, from around 20% and up to around 70%. I always precondition. Right now my car has been charging for 10 minutes, plus 15 minute precondition, and it's still only at 50kW.
I assume it has something to do with the stations and not the car?

Might be a mix. Presumably you are aware of the A/B thing? The stalls are paired (8A/8B etc) and share power between the pairs. So rule of thumb is try to choose a stall where the other of the pair is not in use for the max charge rate.

Car has 7k kilometers on it. I've supercharged it 3 or 4 times. When I tested it today there were only 5 other cars on the lot, I did not use a share a station pair. I asked a TMS owner on the same lot and he was pulling 79kW at 80% SOC.
Does that mean that all chargers in the same SC site has the same potential output?

Car has 7k kilometers on it. I've supercharged it 3 or 4 times. When I tested it today there were only 5 other cars on the lot, I did not use a share a station pair. I asked a TMS owner on the same lot and he was pulling 79kW at 80% SOC.
Does that mean that all chargers in the same SC site has the same potential output?

All chargers of the same type should have the same potential output- the one caveat being the A/B mentioned where if both are in use neither will output the max

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not necessarily. Many SC locations they are identical, but some (well at least 1) have upgraded ones. Kettleman City (in California off I-5) has a mixture of V2 and V3. The V2s have a "V2" label on them, as well as the A/B markers. The V3s have no markings.

I would think most "urban supercharger" locations will be identical (72kW).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not necessarily. Many SC locations they are identical, but some (well at least 1) have upgraded ones. Kettleman City (in California off I-5) has a mixture of V2 and V3. The V2s have a "V2" label on them, as well as the A/B markers. The V3s have no markings.

I would think most "urban supercharger" locations will be identical (72kW).
I couldn't find any markings, where are they located? Supposedly the site should have 150kW chargers. My previous TM3 charged at 120kW there