Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to turn off all RF sources?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to drive my 2018 Model 3 past the Very Large Array (VLA) Radio Telescope in New Mexico. They want visitors to turn off ALL radio transmitters to reduce RF interference. How do I turn off my car's cellular connection, GPS antenna, and WiFi? TIA

May not be possible:

• GPS: is passive so nothing to do
  • WiFi: (I believe) has a On/Off switch by hitting the Cell or WiFi icon at top of screen
  • Cell: Don't think or remember seeing a way to toggle off
  • Bluetooth: Another RF like WiFi that I don't think or remember seeing a way to toggle off

Not in my car to check but all should be in the same Menu accessed by hitting the Cell or WiFi icon at top of screen if available.

There also may be a possibility that the Service Menu may offer this but you must know or have explicit instructions.

Upvote 0
From the National Radio Astronomy Observatory's Do's-And-Don'ts page:

Electronic Device Policy​

When visiting the VLA, please have all electronic devices (cell phones, tablets, or anything else with an “On/Off” switch) in airplane mode and powered off. If you plan to use your electronic device to take photographs, you may briefly turn them on (while in airplane mode) to take your pictures, and then power your device off again once you’ve done so.

Please turn all WiFi and Bluetooth devices off as well.

Upvote 0