Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hpc 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are NEMA plugs that will handle the current. You just have to know what to look for. (think camlock) I would be careful as to knowing what you are doing. As they say these are rated for greater than 50A. (more like +150A)

Yes, but they are rather unwieldly. See the example of a marine plug. No perspective, but the diameter is about that of a large coffee mug. Also the EVSE itself weighs 20 lbs and would not be suppored by the recepticle. You would have to lay it on the floor or find another way to hang it on the wall. IMO if you need to use a plug then the UMC is the way to go. Tesla did it right here!

The HPC is rated for outdoor use. I'm going to have to put mine outside (the Model S is just too darn big to put in the garage). My current plan is to have one of those brick mailbox posts built with a lockable gate to house the HPC. This will keep the HPC out of the weather and protect it from vandals and shouldn't be very expensive to build (at least not judging by the number of mailboxes around here that have this kind of construction). It might also house a security camera. It will also allow other Model S owners to easily be able to charge.

HPWC is made for a hard wired connection only.

Thinking about this, being a hopeless DIY I could add a plug, but what would be the point? The Universal connector's capacity is a 50 amp circuit with a 40 amp draw. Those are the specs for my current outdoor curbside set-up for my Volt, which I'll be using for the Model S. Even if I added a plug to the HWPC I'd gain nothing over the Universal connector in terms of charging speed/efficiency for the Model S, as it would operate on the limits of the 50/40 set up I have now. And if I upgraded the wiring and breaker to handle 80 amp draw, it would be for naught, as there are no NEMA plugs that I can find which handle more than 50 amps.

What I am suggesting is a plug-in version may be made available by Tesla; Leviton already has a wall mounted unit that plugs in. The info sheet Leviton provides is a good primer on EV code: EVSE Fact Sheet: 240 Volt Home Charging Station | Leviton Information Exchange

The main benefits of a plug-in vs hard wire wall mounted connector aka HPWC are the following:

No separate service disconnect required

Cost to install should be less as fewer parts to install. (no separate service disconnect and extra wiring associated to connect the switch to the HWPC)

Upon sale of home; unit can be taken with you. (Normally, hardwired items are considered part of house unless specifically excluded)

Electrical Permitting is "over the counter" vs. submittal of detailed drawings. (this varies by jurisdiction so maybe a draw)

The main drawback of a plug-in unit vs a hard wire unit is less current draw which = longer charge times. However for those that give aesthetics and the above benefits a high priority, a plug-in wall mounted connector may be preferable to a hard wired wall mounted unit or the UMC.

What I am suggesting is a plug-in version may be made available by Tesla; Leviton already has a wall mounted unit that plugs in. The info sheet Leviton provides is a good primer on EV code: EVSE Fact Sheet: 240 Volt Home Charging Station | Leviton Information Exchange

The main benefits of a plug-in vs hard wire wall mounted connector aka HPWC are the following:

No separate service disconnect required

Cost to install should be less as fewer parts to install. (no separate service disconnect and extra wiring associated to connect the switch to the HWPC)

Upon sale of home; unit can be taken with you. (Normally, hardwired items are considered part of house unless specifically excluded)

Electrical Permitting is "over the counter" vs. submittal of detailed drawings. (this varies by jurisdiction so maybe a draw)

The main drawback of a plug-in unit vs a hard wire unit is less current draw which = longer charge times. However for those that give aesthetics and the above benefits a high priority, a plug-in wall mounted connector may be preferable to a hard wired wall mounted unit or the UMC.

You are mostly mistaken:

1. Anything over 50 amps would likely require a service disconnect if a plug was involved
2. The cost of the recepticles themselves would be as much as the EVSE!
3. On sale of the home you can still take it with you. List it. Dismount the unit, turn off the breaker, remove the wire nuts. secure the wires, place a cover plate and done.
4. I'm not sure that there is much difference in permitting for 100A service plug vs hard wire.

I'm sure you could modify your HPWC and buy the appropriate recepticles, but I dont think you really gain anything.

You are mostly mistaken:

1. Anything over 50 amps would likely require a service disconnect if a plug was involved
2. The cost of the receptacles themselves would be as much as the EVSE!
3. On sale of the home you can still take it with you. List it. Dismount the unit, turn off the breaker, remove the wire nuts. secure the wires, place a cover plate and done.
4. I'm not sure that there is much difference in permitting for 100A service plug vs hard wire.

I'm sure you could modify your HPWC and buy the appropriate recepticles, but I dont think you really gain anything.

Respectfully disagree with you @Lloyd.

1. Any plug-in version of a Wall mounted connector to comply with code will be 50amp circuit/40amp draw or less, be it Tesla designed or any other manufacturer offering a plug-in version. I thought I made that clear in my post and by the link I provided.
2. Cost of a 14/50 receptacles is between $15 and $65 depending on place of purchase and quality; certainly much less than a disconnect switch and associated wiring.
3. Do you really want to go to all that trouble; when a plug and go unit is available.
4. There is a cost difference between having 100A available at the main panel vs 50A available. Based on my panel size (200A) and my current working load, I would have to upgrade my panel to accommodate 100A. No such upgrade is needed with a 50A circuit. My home is 6 years new; I expect most people are in the same situation so it's not just the possible extra permit costs but also the cost of upgraded wiring (#4 vs #6) and main panel to consider.

My main point I was raising is Tesla could offer a plug-in version, and be code compliant, for those who desire a wall mounted unit for the reasons I listed in my previous post. Whether they do is up to them, however I believe there is a market for such a unit be it Tesla or another manufacturer.

If you want a wall mounted unit (and aren't planning on moving any time soon), you can still get the HPWC (HPC) and just tell Tesla when they ship it to limit it to 40A (they can set it before they send it to you). You'll probably have to find a J1772 charger if being able to quickly disconnect your wall mounted unit is that important to you.

If it is, and you're limited to a 50A circuit, then I agree with Lloyd. Just get the included UMC and save $1,200.

Checked out the Cam-Lok plugs and receptacles. Depending on the version, they are rated up to 200-600 amps. Problem is they are only one pole. Assuming the HPWC has three poles, making a connection would require three Cam-Loks. A bit unwieldy but as they are quick connect, locking devices and designed for outdoor, high-hazard conditions, they might make this doable for the 100 amp breaker, 80 amp draw requirement for the full capacity of the HPWC. I'm going to look into this and discuss with my electrician. But unless this is doable without a lot of complications, I'll be sticking with the universal connector.

There are NEMA plugs that will handle the current. You just have to know what to look for. (think camlock) I would be careful as to knowing what you are doing. As they say these are rated for greater than 50A. (more like +150A)

I don't get it, If you are limiting yourself to 40 amps why not just use the UMC that comes with the car and save $1200?

As another poster pointed out and gave me a +1, aesthetics is the primary reason. Another reason is a dedicated wall unit frees up the UMC for traveling and also provides the security of a backup if either unit fails. There are manufacturers already producing wall mounted plug-in units so its not a question of no market for them.

Last edited:
As another poster pointed out and gave me a +1, aesthetics is the primary reason. Another reason is a dedicated wall unit frees up the UMC for traveling and also provides the security of a backup if the wall unit fails. There are manufacturers already producing wall mounted plug-in units so its not a question of no market for them.

I'm a shareholder....please buy lots of chargers from Tesla. :biggrin:

After much searching I found plugs and receptacles that can handle 250 volt, 100 amp loads and as they're waterproof and have other hazard protections, they're designed for outdoor use. These are Hubbell HBL4100P9W AC Plug IEC60309 4100P9W Male IEC 309 Pin & Sleeve and the companion receptacle, HBL4100R9W AC Receptacle IEC60309 4100R9W IEC 309. Now I'm asking my electrician if my my housing set-up has the capacity for a 100 amp breaker. I'm quite sure the wire in the underground conduit leading to my curbside setup will have to be upgraded to #2 or 3 AWG to handle 80 amps continuous draw, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Im going to set this up so that the post (made of PVC pipe) that I mount my Volt EVSE (and ultimately the Tesla HPWC) will have the Hubbell plug end mounted in the bottom so it can plug into the Hubbell receptacle, which will be mounted in a waterproof container in the curbside ground. So I can just take the post and plug it into the receptacle. The Hubbell devices when connected make a quite rigid assembly. The Volt EVSE and ultimately the Tesla HPWC (which I'll modify with an appropriate plug if it's only sold in hardwire form) will then plug into a receptacle integrated into the PVC post. This will make everything easy to disassemble when the car is not being charged. It will also make it all easily portable.

I start working on this soon and will post some photos when it's fully assembled.