Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC and SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any benefit getting a HPWC if the on board charger max out at 32 Amp with a NEMA 14-50? I originally thought the HPWC would allow me to charge the car at 48amp if I have a 60amp breaker, but someone told me SR+ only charge at 32 amp from either the UMC or HPWC. I am so confused.

What’s the difference of 32 vs 48 when you are charging at night for a minimum of 6 hrs. Shoot my long range takes about 4 hrs on a typical commute to fully charge to 80%. And I have 80 miles more range then a SR+ Unless aesthetics are what you are after.

Model 3 drivers aren't seeing it yet but hardware does wear out, wall connector allows you to spread that wear across another plug and means the UMC becomes a backup in case something fails.

I know if I only had the UMC and it failed the week or two to get a new one would be a big hassle which is one reason I put in a wall connector. If one fails I still have the other as backup.

• Helpful
Reactions: F14Scott
Model 3 drivers aren't seeing it yet but hardware does wear out, wall connector allows you to spread that wear across another plug and means the UMC becomes a backup in case something fails.

I know if I only had the UMC and it failed the week or two to get a new one would be a big hassle which is one reason I put in a wall connector. If one fails I still have the other as backup.
Fair argument.

I would consider getting a second mobile charger once I get the energy tracking figured out. However, I prefer a nema charging station and not anything hardwired because if the hardwired wall connector fails then I would have to call an electrician.

As far as wear and tear, I mean how many times can we honestly say we unplug our washer or dryer? Wear and tear would be none existent or 0.0000001% of the life of the charger or the nema outlet. Well, I unplug it once to see what the plug type was before I bought the tesla. Unfortunately it was a regular socket and I had to get a name outlet installed. Before that I have never unplugged it in over 20 yrs of owning the washer and dryer.

Last edited:
Fair argument.

I would consider getting a second mobile charger once I get the energy tracking figured out. However, I prefer a nema charging station and not anything hardwired because if the hardwired wall connector fails then I would have to call an electrician.

As far as wear and tear, I mean how many times can we honestly say we unplug our washer or dryer? Wear and tear would be none existent or 0.0000001% of the life of the charger or the nema outlet. Well, I unplug it once to see what the plug type was before I bought the tesla. Unfortunately it was a regular socket and I had to get a name outlet installed. Before that I have never unplugged it in over 20 yrs of owning the washer and dryer.

Yep. We plugged in our JuiceBox four years ago. Still plugged in.

Reactions: Rottenapplr
Fair argument.

Yep. We plugged in our JuiceBox four years ago. Still plugged in.

I am referring to the plug that goes into the car, my UMC plug warms more at 40amps than my HCWC does at 72 amps even after cleaning. This is a good sign the UMC to car terminals are worn.

My car can make use of the extra current available and I am set for whatever my next Tesla will take. Fixating on what the car you own today is capable of ignores the probability you will probably buy another EV. I like little overkill.

• Informative
Reactions: Rottenapplr
What’s the difference of 32 vs 48 when you are charging at night for a minimum of 6 hrs. Shoot my long range takes about 4 hrs on a typical commute to fully charge to 80%. And I have 80 miles more range then a SR+ Unless aesthetics are what you are after.

For me (Model 3 P) getting the wall connector was to combat my range anxiety (1st EV), and, admittedly, aesthetics (not ashamed of that at all :) )

Also worth checking to see if your state/province or power company offer any incentives.

In my case, Maryland pays a $700 rebate for the purchase and installation of an EVSE. So that covers the cost of the Wall Connector plus a bit of the install.

That’s a great story for using the UMC, or specially a second one. When you leave it plugged into the 14-50, you don’t have the issue with plug wear and unlike the HPWC if there is an issue, you just unplug and replace, not paying an electrician

It is a story for some sort of backup. Once buying a backup the HCWC is not that much more.
14-50 circuit needs 3 conductors and an outlet that the wall connector 2 wires no if yplug andou have a car that can take it the wall connector can deliver 40amps on a 60 amp circuit instead of just 32.

If buying a backup UMC anyway the upgrade to a wall connector is not that expensive with the one less wire and not needing to buy an outlet. I believe the cable on the wall connector is replaceable too instead of the whole thing.

Is there any benefit getting a HPWC if the on board charger max out at 32 Amp with a NEMA 14-50? I originally thought the HPWC would allow me to charge the car at 48amp if I have a 60amp breaker, but someone told me SR+ only charge at 32 amp from either the UMC or HPWC. I am so confused.
The benefits of an HPWC:
1. Hardwired means fewer connections.
2. The UMC can stay in the car.
3. The cable is longer.
4. Okay for outdoor use.
5. Can coordinate two cars.
6. If you put it on the maximum circuit you can use PlugShare and support the max charge rate for all cars.

The advantages of UMC:
1. Cost
2. If you get two cars, unless your electrical service is very low, both cars can charge at the same time. (Two circuits, one for each).
3. Any EV can use a 14-50 (some require adapters that don't come with the car).

Basically, if you only keep the UMC in your car when you travel, then the UMC is the lowest cost solution. If you frequently take the UMC with you or you need one of the other benefits, then the HPWC is the way to go. If you go with the HPWC, it's not a bad idea to also install a 14-50 as a backup in case the HPWC needs service.

From experience, the more of your cable you have to wind and unwind on a daily basis, the less convenient. Whichever solution you choose, place the EVSE as close to the point of plugging in as you can manage.
Hmmm good point. I have to unfurl the mobile charger cord across the garage. It makes me want to get an extension cord from the name plug, and run to extension to the ceiling and back across the garage to be honest.