Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Not Opening Charge Port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for any suggestions/ideas to resolve. Initially the HPWC 'button' opened the charge port door. Recently it stopped opening the port, but would open from fob or pressing door. Tesla sent a tech out to check it out. We used the portable charger button which opened the port, therefore the tech said the HPWC was bad and he dropped off a replacement. Today I installed the new HPWC and behold, it STILL does not open the car charger port.

Any ideas what might be the issue? (Happy Holliday!!)

Have this on our 3 also. Unlocked, hold it right in back of tail light, works once, other times doesn’t. Don’t know if some receivers are just less sensitive?

The phone Is sending a command to the car, so that doesn’t count. Is the fob for the S and X direct or not?

I tried with door open and it worked! It then worked with door closed, then did not work. It works intermittently now, though unreliablely. I've tried without and with phone around, again no pattern to it, but it does occasionally work.

Reactions: boaterva
I tried with door open and it worked! It then worked with door closed, then did not work. It works intermittently now, though unreliablely. I've tried without and with phone around, again no pattern to it, but it does occasionally work.
If it works with door open, then the problem is that sometimes your Model 3 isn’t talking to the app in your phone. The car doesn’t know that it’s okay to unlock/open charge port.

This is probably because your phone is too far from the car or your body is blocking the radio signal.

Best results when phone is in a front pocket so it has clean connection with the car.

Never have a problem with:

- Tesla app open. Doesn’t have to be top one.

- Model 3 selected in the app. We also have Model S. 3 doesn’t seem to respond when S selected in the app.

- Phone in front of my body. Usually have phone in right front pocket. Screen faces my body so it’s protected. Also, since antenna leads are behind the iPhone’s back cover, it helps the phone put out a stronger signal - the radio waves don’t have to pass through all the phone’s electronics and front touch-screen before escaping. .

- Sometimes I have to turn so my right side faces car to help the phone connect.

Had the service tech at home for another issue yesterday and explained even after the new charger was installed I was still having trouble opening the port. His associate pointed out that while it should be working from a distance from the car, he said the antenna is at the top of the hatch window (MS), not at the port. When the charger was aimed at the window top, it opened every time. Problem solved!

Had the service tech at home for another issue yesterday and explained even after the new charger was installed I was still having trouble opening the port. His associate pointed out that while it should be working from a distance from the car, he said the antenna is at the top of the hatch window (MS), not at the port. When the charger was aimed at the window top, it opened every time. Problem solved!

Yes, the antenna is in the rear glass. Supercharger here is located at service center, I noticed one night various service S and X charge port doors open and lit behind the fence. SO now when I go to supercharger, rarely these days, I hold the wand high in the air and press the button. Its quite a show of charge ports opening and lit up charge ports. I try to make this fun.

Maybe I am making a wrong assumption here, yet I see a couple replies relating to the smart phone not talking to the car, but the OP shows having a model S and posted this in the S forum, so while the phone might be related to such an issue on the 3, it's not the reason on the S or X.

I would LAST suspect this to be an HPWC problem. Those types of failures are rare. If this happens again on the S or X, then try pressing the charge port door directly to see if it opens. If it doesn't then the issue is the car thinks the owner is not present, such as it does not detect your fob or the car is not unlocked.

Frankly, I would not care if the HPWC opens the door on my car or not. I just press the charger port door to open it if needed :)

I noticed one night various service S and X charge port doors open and lit behind the fence. SO now when I go to supercharger, rarely these days, I hold the wand high in the air and press the button. Its quite a show of charge ports opening and lit up charge ports. I try to make this fun.

Really? That should not be the case according to one of the designers. He says a stranger should not be able to open the charge port door nor remove the charge on another person's car. Maybe I misunderstood him. Not disputing your claim. Just doesn't sound right.

Really? That should not be the case according to one of the designers. He says a stranger should not be able to open the charge port door nor remove the charge on another person's car. Maybe I misunderstood him. Not disputing your claim. Just doesn't sound right.

The part you may have missed its a supercharger at a service center? I'm not removing the charge on any car, just opening the charge port doors on cars that are parked and it lights up waiting for someone to come. After a time the lights go out and the doors close.

There is also a distinct sound of many charge ports opening/closing as well. Like clam shells. 10-20-30 doors perhaps depending on how close they are parked to the Supercharger. Tesla also forgets to change the time clock on lights in the parking lot, so it gets quite dark in the winter, magnifying the light show a bit depending on how the parking configuration is at that time.

Its just a laugh to lighten the supercharging choir.

Yes, Its a supercharger, they open all doors(don't need a key fob) and in the dark its quite the sight. Gotta hold the handle high in the air.

I have not tested my HPWC, but I cannot imagine my HPWC is only programmed to open my charge port door on our only Tesla thus far. Try your HPWC with the key fob in the house.

Like you said, really just push on the door anyway and it opens in Newer Model S. The older magnetic hold down doors can't speak to that.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the charge port will open without a key being present, but you cannot unlock the connector without the keyfob being around!
The strange thing is that I also have a few people having a model X where you can open the charge port when you push it, but not with the connector radio button.
Looking at the manual though, it should work...