Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC updated vs old: what's different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I just bought a new (in box) HPWC from a former Tesla owner. The price was right. However I realized it's not the updated one, but the older one.

What are the differences? FYI I will only be charging one model S @48A, using a 60A breaker. I wanted the HPWC because I'll be using the mobile connector somewhere else and I don't want to plug/unplug every day.

Thanks for helping.

Hi I just bought a new (in box) HPWC from a former Tesla owner. The price was right. However I realized it's not the updated one, but the older one.

What are the differences? FYI I will only be charging one model S @48A, using a 60A breaker. I wanted the HPWC because I'll be using the mobile connector somewhere else and I don't want to plug/unplug every day.

Thanks for helping.

My understanding...

1) to set the Amperage on the older ones require dip switch settings versus dials on the new ones.

2) the new ones have a port to hook the handle to, and the old ones don't.

3) the older ones are more compatible to Roadsters plugging in with @hcsharp CAN SR.

4) original retail price on the older one is more expensive than newer one.

Thanks for helping.

The original HPWC does not have a switch for 48A supplied to the vehicle.
You can select either 40A or 64A depending on your installed home wiring ... your car will only accept up to 48A Max.

upload_2017-1-15_19-44-17.png

Ok. I don't need it to be networked. But I want to charge at 48 amp. So how do I do that? Do I need a 80 amp breaker or a 60 amp will do it?

What if I put a 80 amp breaker that delivers 64 amp. Will it charge at 48? Any chance it will damage the vehicle?

Ok. I don't need it to be networked. But I want to charge at 48 amp. So how do I do that? Do I need a 80 amp breaker or a 60 amp will do it?

What if I put a 80 amp breaker that delivers 64 amp. Will it charge at 48? Any chance it will damage the vehicle?
The old HPWC doesn't support 48 amps via the switches. As @FlatSix911 mentioned above, your choices are 40 amps or 64 amps. If you want 48 amps, you need the new version of the HPWC. If you can run wiring and a breaker for 80 amps (64 amps supplied), then the car would charge at the max 48 amps. If you can only run wiring for 60 amps then the most you could charge at would be 40 amps.

You do have the option to install for the max your house will allow, and then limit the car to 48 through the internal settings. For me, I have the older hpwc, and even though I can charge at full 80amps, lately I have been setting it a lot lower just so it takes longer to charger and the battery is warmer when I need to use the car in the morning given the current cold weather.

At the 80amps the car chargers quickly but then just sits all night (I think), not sure if it receives trickle charges to maintain an optimal temp during the night which would be wasted energy.

Yes, your car would charge at 48 Amps if you put in an 80 Amp breaker. No possibility of hurting anything. Other cars could charge at up to 64 Amps or whatever the car's max rate is. This could also be useful if you ever get the software upgrade to 72 Amp capability for your car's on board charger.

If it is costly to install an 80 Amp breaker and circuit, then you can go with a 50 Amp breaker and charge at 40 Amps, which is plenty fast enough for almost all usage.

The new HPWC can be set up with a 60 Amp breaker, allowing charging at up to 48 Amps, exactly matching your car's capability.

GSP