Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC vs Corded Mobile Connector vs Gen 2 Mobile Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering the "Corded Mobile" connector. Seems like a good unit for a less then permanent connection.

Are the charging speeds from the Corded Mobile higher then the Gen2 Mobile (With Nema15-50 adapter) but slower then HPWC ? I have not been able to find any specs on this unit.

Gen2 Mobile Connector maxes out at 32A (32A x 110v = 3.5kW). Assumes you meant to use with NEMA 14-50 connector.
Corded mobile: 40A x 220v = 8.8kW
Wall Connector: lots of amps options... potentially to about 16kW.
In all cases, you are limited by whatever is your car's maximum onboard chargers. Do you know what the max amps your car can take on DC?

Be aware, that the car will charge considerably slower if outside and the temperatures are cold -- as some of your kW needs to heat the battery.

I am still on the fence between an S or X.

What I was considering was charging speed. I wasn't sure if the Corded Mobile connector was worth the extra money. I'd like to be able to leave the charger that comes with the vehicle in the trunk all the time so I don't have to stow it every time we take a road trip. There are not that many supercharger in Michigan.

Hardwired charger is nice but for just a little more the Corded Mobile connector makes it a possibility as long as it's faster then then the Gen2 charger with a 15-50 plug. As long as I'm charging over night the portability (if needed) works for me.

Let's try this from another angle....

ALL of the Model S & X Teslas have various options that makes them charge at various rates when charging on standard electricity. If charge rate at home is important to you than you need to get either an older car with the dual charger option or a newer car with the 72A fast charger. You then need to get a HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) to take advantage of that additional overhead. If you are fine with charging at 30mph then a simple 50A 240-volt NEMA 14-50 outlet will work fine with most all of them and charge the same no matter what. Even if you have a 100A wall connector it won't charge any faster because the car can't take that much juice. The connector will max out at whatever draw the car is capable of taking based on the charge option it has. If you buy a car with a single charger (standard option and what most of them have) then buying a HPWC capable of higher charge rate will do you no good because the car can't handle it.

So we can't answer your question unless we know specifics of the car(s) your comparing. Saying it's a Model S or Model X tells us nothing as both have various charge rate options.

The different charging rates by vehicle are why I didn't say, S or X in the first post. Being relative to either vehicle (I know there are variables from multiple possibilities)

I was considering the possible charging rates of the charger (connector) itself.

All things being relative. Will the Corded Mobile Connector afford a faster charging rate then a Gen2 with a 15-50 plug.

The different charging rates by vehicle are why I didn't say, S or X in the first post. Being relative to either vehicle (I know there are variables from multiple possibilities)

I was considering the possible charging rates of the charger (connector) itself.

All things being relative. Will the Corded Mobile Connector afford a faster charging rate then a Gen2 with a 15-50 plug.
But things aren't relative. They're dependant upon ALL links in the chain that makes up your charge system from your House's electrical panel to your car's battery pack.

You need to use the search function & search UMC (there's a gen 1 & a gen 2) as well as HPWC & find out what all of the options are within the different vehicles because ALL of this plays a role.

I'm not even sure what your question is based on the things that you're asking so I really think you need to do more research on the front end so you know what questions to ask.

Just firing up a new thread when you're not even really sure what you're asking isn't going to get us very far compared to if you do a little bit more research on your own and then come back and ask specific questions we can help answer them a little bit better.

I think we're both over thinking my question.

Let me try and ask it another way.

Tesla says the WallConnector can charge up to 50 % faster then the Gen2 Connector wit a 15-50 plug (delivers up to 11.5kW of power)

Tesla says the Gen2 Connector with a 15-50 plug can deliver from 20 to 30 miles of range dependent of which vehicle is charging.

Revised question as follows:

Does anyone know the charging specs for the "Corded Wall Connector" ?

Tesla says, this connector........ The Corded Mobile Connector features a NEMA 14-50 plug and improved charging speeds (versus standard Gen 2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 5-15 adapter).

But it DOESN'T say it provides a faster charging rate then a Gen2 WITH a 15-50 plug.

And if it doesn't charge faster, why would anyone speed $520 on it when you could purchase an extra Gen2 and a 15-50 adapter for almost $200 less.........

I think we're both over thinking my question.

Let me try and ask it another way.

Tesla says the WallConnector can charge up to 50 % faster then the Gen2 Connector wit a 15-50 plug (delivers up to 11.5kW of power)

Tesla says the Gen2 Connector with a 15-50 plug can deliver from 20 to 30 miles of range dependent of which vehicle is charging.

Revised question as follows:

Does anyone know the charging specs for the "Corded Wall Connector" ?

Tesla says, this connector........ The Corded Mobile Connector features a NEMA 14-50 plug and improved charging speeds (versus standard Gen 2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 5-15 adapter).

But it DOESN'T say it provides a faster charging rate then a Gen2 WITH a 15-50 plug.

And if it doesn't charge faster, why would anyone speed $520 on it when you could purchase an extra Gen2 and a 15-50 adapter for almost $200 less.........
You keep calling it a Gen 2 but it's not. It's a UMC which stands for Universal Mobile Connector. This is what comes with the car and it includes three adapters (well, the older version did) 15A 120-volt, J1722 and 50A 240-volt. It just so happens that they are on the 2nd generation of them if you buy a brand new car that comes with one but some of the new ones only include the 15A adapter.

If you buy a used car it may still come with the Generation 1 UMC. The UMC can charge at about 30mph MAXIMUM. That's a Gen 1 with a 14-50 adapter attached plugged into a NEMA 14-50 50A 240-volt outlet and a car capable of 40A 240-volt charging. Gen 2 UMC will charge at a maximum 32A 240-volts so that MPH charge rate is lower. If you have a car with a single charger capable of only 40A 240-volt this will be the highest charge rate you can charge at. Full stop.

The ONLY way to charge faster would be to get a HPWC as well as the dual charger option in one of the older cars that's capable of 80A 240-volts or one of the newer cars that has the high speed charger capable of 72A 240-volts. This is why I said the weakest link in the chain determines the charge rate. If you have a car capable of 40A it doesn't matter if you install a HPWC capable of 80A because the most that car can charge at is 40A. Likewise you can't have a car capable of 80A if the UMC is only capable of providing 40A.

Summary: if you're talking about the HPWC that has a NEMA 14-50 on the end it will offer the exact same maximum charge rates as the gen 1 UMC with the 14-50 adapter plugged into same outlet. A Gen 2 UMC will max out at 32A so it would be slightly slower than a HPWC with a 14-50 plugged into the same 14-50 outlet.

Again, you have a LOT to learn before you can make an education decision so I highly advise you to research the crap out of this stuff before you start posting and asking questions. Just based on the terms you're using you're pretty far off of how this all works and what all of the components are so I highly suggest you read read and read some more.

I will and thank you for your responses, I realize your only trying to help !!

I'm not calling it a Gen 2 Connector, Tesla is. That's what it's listed as on their Shop Chargeing page.

Once again, I think over thinking the question. I did not list the variables your adding (new car vs Used car, old tech vs new, single vs dual charger)

The very simple question was the capabilities of the Corded Mobile Connector.

Are they equal or greater then the Gen 2 (UMC) Mobile Connector with a 15-50 plug

Am I safe to now assume ????? Used on a new 3, S or X

The connector that comes with the vehicle (Gen 2/UMC) using a 15-50 plug adapter (which no longer comes with the vehicle and must be purchased separetly ) will charge at the SAME RATE as the Corded Wall Connector.

I have a M3P and use the Corded Mobile Connector and charge at 36-37 MPH at 40 amps. I think the Gen 2 is limited to 32 amps so it will be slower, have never plugged it in to check how many miles per hour it charges at.

I use the Corded Mobile connector at 40a and at 226v (drops from 238 to 226 under full load) it pulls exactly 9kw.

If it was closer to the main panel I could probably get the actual rated draw of 9.6

In my model 3 performance 9kw makes out to 35-36mph with fairly little overhead. (charging efficiency is around 95-96%)

Thanks !! After doing a little more research, I think the question I should have asked is about the load draw of the connector. And that is what you have answered !!

Thanks again.

Simple question, simple answer !!

Short answer is yes the Corded Mobile connector with the 14-50 plug is capable of a higher charge rate than the Universal Mobile Connector (even when equipped with the highest current plugs (14-50 / 6-50)

I bought a previously owned CMC from a user here on the forums and use it as my primary charging method. I keep the UMC that came with the car in the car with a full set of adapters, just in case.

The Tesla website’s wording is a little misleading: “The Corded Mobile Connector features a NEMA 14-50 plug and improved charging speeds (versus standard Gen 2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 5-15 adapter).”

Well, yeah, of course most scenarios involving any 14-50 plug are going to involve faster charging speeds compared to a 5-15 plug. That’s not the right comparison to make. A more useful statement from Tesla would have been “The Corded Mobile Connector features a NEMA 14-50 plug and improved charging speeds (versus standard Gen 2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 14-50 adapter).

This is where the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 UMCs becomes important, because Gen 1 UMCs could deliver 40A using a 14-50 plug adapter, whereas Gen 2 UMCs can only deliver 32A using a 14-50 plug adapter. So when you compare a Corded Mobile Connector that delivers 40A via a permanent 14-50 plug versus a Universal Mobile Connector that only delivers 32A via a switchable 14-50 plug, yeah the CMC comes out ahead. If you have a higher-amperage Gen 1 UMC, the advantage of the CMC may not be very much.

Reactions: ambudriver03