Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hubris"...how true

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've documented here before why I cancelled my MX reservation and I have to say I've been incredibly pleased by that decision. Today Tesla released a press release that blamed production issues on: "Tesla's hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X in version 1, insufficient supplier capability validation, and Tesla not having broad enough internal capability to manufacture the parts in-house."
Tesla Delivers 14,820 Vehicles in Q1 2016; On Track for Full-Year Delivery Guidance (NASDAQ:TSLA)

It's funny..the use of that word hubris is spot on. After walking away from my Meet X test drive I found myself saying they tried too hard. FaWDs that didn't shut. Seats that were broken. I couldn't put my finger on it at the moment, but now the perfect word is hubris. Thanks Tesla.

I was driving my MS the other day and was thinking about what got me to spend 3x more on that car than any other car I had ever purchased. One HUGE reason was the additional UTILITY that the MS gave me. A frunk and a trunk. Fold-flat second row seats. Built in roof-rack mounts. Rear facing 5-point child seats. There was no other sedan that gave me that kind of utility. It's why I traded in an SUV for a sedan. It worked.

But with the X, Tesla forgot the UTILITY. Frustrating.

I'm still in wait/see mode and my Resale Value Guarantee comes up on my MS next March. 11 months to move that hubris to the side and give me a SUV I'd feel confident buying. Fingers crossed.

It really looks like with the Model 3, Tesla is paying more attention. Great headroom in 2nd row (unlike Model S, and the center of the 2nd row on the Model X), folding seats and a trunk that will allow a 7' surfboard to fit (unlike the Model X), available hitch mount (unlike the Model S), etc.

I don't think we'll see any notable changes/improvements to the Model X anytime soon, especially since they still have a backlog of orders.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
I
Today Tesla released a press release that blamed production issues on: "Tesla's hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X in version 1, insufficient supplier capability validation, and Tesla not having broad enough internal capability to manufacture the parts in-house."
Tesla Delivers 14,820 Vehicles in Q1 2016; On Track for Full-Year Delivery Guidance (NASDAQ:TSLA)

It's funny..the use of that word hubris is spot on.

Clearly someone hacked the site to insert hubris and some of the other language.

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
Model X is a great car. Tesla just needs to be humble till it sorts out the problems with the new features. I believe, the true nature of the accomplishment by Tesla will be visible then. I don't think nonfolding seats are going to be any issue then. This car has added much more in exchange. Tesla is alone in a world where car makers have been making same cars over and over again and people dont know that things could be much better.

Reactions: ModelX
It really looks like with the Model 3, Tesla is paying more attention. Great headroom in 2nd row (unlike Model S, and the center of the 2nd row on the Model X), folding seats and a trunk that will allow a 7' surfboard to fit (unlike the Model X), available hitch mount (unlike the Model S), etc.

I don't think we'll see any notable changes/improvements to the Model X anytime soon, especially since they still have a backlog of orders.

Have you seen how the trunk opens? Sure, it'll fit a surfboard, but no way anything with some height will fit! Crazy. Much more compromised from a cargo perspective than the model X!

@MiddKid, I got my X today and while I'm reserving full judgement until after some time with the vehicle, I'll say that some of these "tweaks" actually make it a nice purchase compared to my Model S. If it were just a puffed up S, it would be a fantastic vehicle, but I wouldn't feel like it was something new. Having that windshield and the bucket seats in back (and to a much lesser extent, the falcon wing doors) makes it definitely feel like I bought something different, and that's always a valuable feeling when you make a purchase.

Can't speak to the quality issues yet as it's much too early. But if it pans out, I'm happy about at least some of Tesla's hubris on this vehicle.

@MiddKid, I got my X today and while I'm reserving full judgement until after some time with the vehicle, I'll say that some of these "tweaks" actually make it a nice purchase compared to my Model S. If it were just a puffed up S, it would be a fantastic vehicle, but I wouldn't feel like it was something new. Having that windshield and the bucket seats in back (and to a much lesser extent, the falcon wing doors) makes it definitely feel like I bought something different, and that's always a valuable feeling when you make a purchase.

Can't speak to the quality issues yet as it's much too early. But if it pans out, I'm happy about at least some of Tesla's hubris on this vehicle.

Did you lease, finance or purchase? I am not sure how the payment process works (will be my first Tesla)

I love benefiting from every one of those features that Musk added with his "hubris". I can't think of one I would remove. If anything, I wish there were more, like rear view mirror with camera.

Yeah, it means that Tesla came up short in its quarterly deliveries, but I certainly don't care about the short-term gyrations of neurotic investors (I'm a happy loooong). I care about owning the most technologically advanced car ever made, and one that is powered by the sun.

Tesla missed guidance with only 14,820 vehicles delivered in Q1 2016, blames Model X supplier parts shortages

upload_2016-4-4_23-55-19.png

I'm not surprised. Looking at the new baubles in the Model X I figured there would be problems that need to be ironed out and I'm not sure Model X production will ever match Model S production. The Model S is a much easier car to build which makes it a much faster car to build.

I'm not surprised. Looking at the new baubles in the Model X I figured there would be problems that need to be ironed out and I'm not sure Model X production will ever match Model S production. The Model S is a much easier car to build which makes it a much faster car to build.

Why do you think that? Beside FWd and mono-post seats there's not much difference between the two.

Have you seen how the trunk opens? Sure, it'll fit a surfboard, but no way anything with some height will fit! Crazy. Much more compromised from a cargo perspective than the model X!
Yes. It's a smaller sedan with a trunk. So, of course it has less cargo... but at least it's a use case Tesla worried about on their much smaller and more cost effective vehicle. Primarily due to the loss of fold flat capable 2nd row seats on the Model X, we lost a lot of utility and flexibility that many expected.

Reactions: AnOutsider