Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course....I love the idea of "no HUD". Its just not worth it. I want unobstructed view.

I can't remember the last time I used my instrument panel for speed or engine RPM's or Engine Temp or anything. All I need is a gas gauge. I lean my phone against the glass of my instrument panel every single time I get into the car. My car has Bluetooth and that way I can see who's calling me without having to look down and find my phone.

My cars instrument panel tells me who is calling without having to put my phone on it, and worrying about it sliding around or falling off. Heck I don't even have to take my phone out of my pocket or computer bag to see who is calling me

Meh. I don't think the point is missed at all. The fact is a lot of those little dodas are just not important to some people, myself included. If cupholders, drycleaning hooks and door pockets are a required criteria for your car, then a Tesla may not be for you. No biggie. Buy something else that meets your criteria.

No, you shouldn't necessarily be able to find it (them) on a Tesla. Your definition of 'best' isn't going to be the same as everyone else's.

The fact at this point is that Tesla has more demand for their cars than they can fill and will for quite some time. At the point that someone else wants to offer a similar performing and attractive EV for the same money, is the point when Tesla may consider putting in all the extra little dodas to their cars. Until then, don't hold your breath.

400k reservations is a drop in the bucket compared to ICE sales If Elon wants to move EV's out of a niche role like he says he does his definition of Best needs to line up with the majority of ICE drivers, his thought of a compelling car needs to line up with the majority of ICE drivers. Decisions like the ones above don't mesh with what a typical ICE driver is looking for. It's not compelling them to switch over. How do I know? Because last year 400k people signed up for a model 3, while over 80 million bought an ICE car instead.

400k reservations is a drop in the bucket compared to ICE sales If Elon wants to move EV's out of a niche role like he says he does his definition of Best needs to line up with the majority of ICE drivers, his thought of a compelling car needs to line up with the majority of ICE drivers. Decisions like the ones above don't mesh with what a typical ICE driver is looking for. It's not compelling them to switch over. How do I know? Because last year 400k people signed up for a model 3, while over 80 million bought an ICE car instead.
Perfectly stated.

1490394960_TeslaDisplay.jpg

Just look how close that center screen is to the steering wheel. You don't even have to look away from the road to see the speed.

Just look how close that center screen is to the steering wheel. You don't even have to look away from the road to see the speed.

That's not a selling point for me. It's the opposite in fact. I don't want screens in my face 24 hours a day. Why assume that just because consumers want electric cars that they must want maximum technology in every circumstance?

Reactions: 3mp_kwh
as far as the screen we've seen in the Model 3 looking like a kludgy slapped on afterthought, possibly to be more integrated with production vehicles, here's what the Model X prototype showed (fwiw, personally I don't think the screen in either prototype looks unattractive)
Tesla-Model-X-dashboard-1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
as far as the screen we've seen in the Model 3 looking like a kludgy slapped on afterthought, possibly to be more integrated with production vehicles, here's what the Model X prototype showed (fwiw, personally I don't think the screen in either prototype looks unattractive)
The entire Model X dash was drastically changed to accommodate the production version w/ integrated display. Actually everything about the production interior looks different. Is that really going to happen with the 3?
2016-tesla-model-x-interior1.jpg

While I'm not saying, it won't be an issue to anyone if Elon is not being coy, and what we've seen so far is what we will see as far as display of info for the driver, let's not make the logical misstep of saying Yaris and Echo center display too = Tesla interior same quality, same amount of info available to driver as Yaris and Echo (fwiw, I didn't find any Minis that did not have some instrument display in front of the steering wheel)

witness,

Yaris interior

2011_toyota_yaris_dashboard.jpg

Echo interior,

2-800-oeminteriorview-58986.jpg

Model 3 prototype interior,

tesladisplay-jpg.219655

looking at that screen, won't Tesla likely have more info available to the driver than most cars (see 3 series photo below). maybe most consumers really do want something directly in front of the driver. if that's the case, Tesla will be the first to know, and it will be far more easy to fix than adding different 2nd row configurations to the X was (they got a lot of unhappy feedback re 2nd row and got that (much more complex redesign than adding an HUD ) addressed in about a year).

fwiw, I rented a BMW 3 series last fall. I liked the car a lot... but the screen that's in the center and sticks up... I was surprised to find it was not some cheap add on from the rental company. To me, it looks considerably more clunky and out of place than the Tesla screen. Otherwise I really liked that 3 series interior, and I don't expect the Model 3's to be as nice, but overall I'm confident I'll prefer the Model 3 to the 3 series.

2012-BMW-3-series-with-M-sport-package-interior.jpg

Reactions: ohmman
The entire Model X dash was drastically changed to accommodate the production version w/ integrated display. Actually everything about the production interior looks different. Is that really going to happen with the 3?
View attachment 219811
The production Model X pretty much used the Model S dash "as is" -- that was far more cost effective than what was seen in the Model X prototype/alpha.