Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. No way it's only some partial steering wheel. It's misinterpretation by fans/media. The sad part is that a lot of people actually think an in incomplete steering wheel is a good idea. Sheesh. And I'd be fine with the reveal steering wheel over the U-shaped junk I've seen suggested on the internet. Gross.
Gotta respectfully disagree on this one. For me, the top third of the wheel is useless and obstructs my view of the instruments. I'm open to all designs, including partial wheels.

Dan

I've been thinking about that as well. If Tesla does do an "augmented reality" type of HUD than they will have to have a "head calibration" function where the user, through some kind of control on the touchscreen, adjusts the HUD based on their head position. Of course that would be saved to their Driver Profile.

Quite possible. Eye-tracking is pretty robust, and a camera pointed at the driver's face can have other safety functions like detecting drowsiness or inattention. I'd guess calibration probably wouldn't need to be real-time, since your head position won't change all that much and the display should have a pretty good field of view.

I'm not sure how many of you watched the Superbowl today - Simply amazing......however More importantly - the Ford commercial.

I am not an advocate of HUD at all, however Ford seems to have encorperated M3 features such as an "ahhemm" decent looking HUD. The vents aren't hidden, however the steering wheel is.

upload_2017-2-5_22-20-20-png.213491

I did see the Ford commercial and it made me think it even more likely that the M3 would have a HUD. Although, since there is no steering wheel it is obviously just a concept car that probably won't be seen for several years. But the entire industry is heading in this direction. The vents seem low enough and angled in such a way that they won't be seen on the windshield. One thing I didn't think of and I think is cool is the destination indicator in the distance. How many times have you wondered which driveway is the right one when your navigation says you've reached your destination?

I did see the Ford commercial and it made me think it even more likely that the M3 would have a HUD. Although, since there is no steering wheel it is obviously just a concept car that probably won't be seen for several years. But the entire industry is heading in this direction. The vents seem low enough and angled in such a way that they won't be seen on the windshield. One thing I didn't think of that I think is cool is the destination indicator in the distance. How many times have you wondered which driveway is the right one when your navigation says you've reached your destination?
Tesla isn't the company that looks to match other companies but to surpass them.

The Tesla MS surpasses other cars in its class and that's why its so spectacular. Much the same with the MX. I hope no one would mind it if I pre-mention that fact that the M3 will be the same.
Tesla supersedes what the market says its heading towards and surpasses. HUD is old technology.

Reactions: melindav
Agreed. But HUD that is augmented reality is not old technology in cars and it still puts Tesla ahead of these concept cars by at least a few years.
Augmented reality is a totally different technology that should have its own thread.

That's like saying that laptops that currently have a 4K touch screen are the same technology of laptops in the 80's that had a screen.

Augmented reality is a totally different technology that should have its own thread.

That's like saying that laptops that currently have a 4K touch screen are the same technology of laptops in the 80's that had a screen.
You just proved my point. It WOULD be new technology that Tesla is putting in the M3 and would therefore put them ahead of the competition. Also, explain to me how we can separate Augmented Reality from HUD.

You just proved my point. It WOULD be new technology that Tesla is putting in the M3 and would therefore put them ahead of the competition. Also, explain to me how we can separate Augmented Reality from HUD.

No - you are missing the point. What you are really saying is that you can't see how augmented reality's display can utilize nothing but HUD. Augmented Reality can be displayed on a screen on a dash or even in some glasses.

My point is this: Augmented Reality is a totally different technology than HUD. HUD can be used in AR but it doesn't have to be. HUD is nothing but a single option to display something. heads-up-DISPLAY.

Last edited:
No - you are missing the point. What you are really saying is that you can't see how augmented reality's display can utilize nothing but HUD. Augmented Reality can be displayed on a screen on a dash or even in some glasses.

My point is this: Augmented Reality is a totally different technology than HUD. HUD can be used in AR but it doesn't have to be. HUD is nothing but a single option to display something. heads-up-DISPLAY.
Last I saw this was a Tesla M3 forum. No one expects an AR system in the M3 to be on a display or to have to wear glasses to use it. That would essentially defeat the purpose or be impractical to the typical driver. The only place AR makes sense in the M3 context is with a HUD that's displayed on the windshield. So no, I won't be starting another thread strictly for AR. It belongs here within the HUD discussion. If I'm wrong I'm sure the moderators will move all such posts to their own thread.

Reactions: melindav
Last I saw this was a Tesla M3 forum. No one expects an AR system in the M3 to be on a display or to have to wear glasses to use it. That would essentially defeat the purpose or be impractical to the typical driver. The only place AR makes sense in the M3 context is with a HUD that's displayed on the windshield. So no, I won't be starting another thread strictly for AR. It belongs here within the HUD discussion. If I'm wrong I'm sure the moderators will move all such posts to their own thread.
This is indeed an M3 forum of which neither AR nor HUD exists. "No one expects"? Who have been asked?
You can put AR in the MS without HUD. You can use the gigantic screen on the dash.

Divorce AR from HUD exclusively. Its not the same technology. I expect that AR would be divorced from HUD if its included.

I wouldn't mind controlling the screen via AR ( hand motions).

Mercedes uses screens and such
Augmented Reality Mercedes - Bing video

BMW uses glasses and such.
BMW Augmented Reality - Bing video

My POINT = AR is not HUD. They aren't the same thing.

Last edited:
You can put AR in the MS without HUD. You can use the gigantic screen on the dash.

Divorce AR from HUD exclusively. Its not the same technology. I expect that AR would be divorced from HUD if its included.
My POINT = AR is not HUD. They aren't the same thing.
You're right, they are not the same thing. However, I would contend that the vast majority of people here would agree that they do indeed go together. What practical purpose would it serve to have it on the screen? Why would you want to have to look out the windshield then have to look down at the screen in the car to get the additional information? The would be horribly inconvenient not to mention pretty dangerous.

It makes much more sense to have the whole thing integrated into a HUD that is displayed right there in front of you where you're looking anyway. Why would they make you have to look to two different places to get all the information? That would be stupid. Yes, they could use glasses but I'm sure that's a non starter as well.

You're right, they are not the same thing. However, I would contend that the vast majority of people here would agree that they do indeed go together. What practical purpose would it serve to have it on the screen? Why would you want to have to look out the windshield then have to look down at the screen in the car to get the additional information? The would be horribly inconvenient not to mention pretty dangerous.

It makes much more sense to have the whole thing integrated into a HUD that is displayed right there in front of you where you're looking anyway. Why would they make you have to look to two different places to get all the information? That would be stupid. Yes, they could use glasses but I'm sure that's a non starter as well.
Do you mean....why keep things the way they are today? Looking down as we did this morning?

Why reach for the volume knob on the radio and screen.... like 99% of us did this morning without complaining?
Or the heat?
Or the...?

I would like a poll to find out how many of the millions of millions of people had accidents this morning due to the fact that they had to look down. I wonder what that percentage is.

To me....divided attention is divided attention no matter where you are looking or what you are thinking about.

Last edited: