Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge Vampire Drain During the day??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife and I just returned from a long road trip (1500 miles)and arrived home with only 8 miles on range left on the car....whew! we just made it!

I plugged the M3 into my Tesla Garage Charger in the garage and charged it up to 80%/248 miles (my normal charge level). The next morning (Friday) I unplugged the car and let it sit not connected to the charger I noticed that the Vampire drain was worse than ever:

Friday Morning - Unplugged at 248 miles
Saturday Morning - Unplugged 237 miles remaining (Lost 11 miles) High Temp ~ 80 degrees
Sunday Morning - Unplugged 226 miles remaining (Lost 11 miles) High Temp ~ 80 degrees
Monday Morning - Unplugged 217 miles remaining (Lost 11 miles) High Temp ~ 85 degrees
Drove to work approximately 17 miles and the car said I had 200 miles remaining, when I went out after work (about 9 hours later) the car showed 175 miles remaining 25 miles lost just sitting in the parking lot! no AC on No Music playing, no sentry mode, heat shield in the window approximately 88 degrees in the heat of the day (82 when I let work)

Tuesday - Charged car to 248 miles last night. Left for work at 06:00 and arrived at 06:30 with 226 miles remaining. At 5:00 pm leaving work the car showed 195 miles Lost 31 miles!!! no AC on No Music playing, no sentry mode Daily high Temp 93 degrees.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this kind of drain during the day?

Is cabin overheat protection turned in?

Reboot the computer and see if the problem persists.
Cabin overheat is on, I am going to charge tonight to 80% (my normal charge level) and see what it does tomorrow. I will reboot then and if it continues I will call service.

Also, when I do run the AC it does not blow very cold at all, at 90 degrees outside the AC can't keep up, anyone else experience poor AC?

Cabin overheat is on, I am going to charge tonight to 80% (my normal charge level) and see what it does tomorrow. I will reboot then and if it continues I will call service.

Also, when I do run the AC it does not blow very cold at all, at 90 degrees outside the AC can't keep up, anyone else experience poor AC?

Yes, since 2 updates ago, I noticed that even if I had the AC on, it was blowing hot air. I kept turning it on and off but what I think what finally fixed it was turning Auto on and off a few times, and then it finally started pumping out cool air. Although, I think that only happened that one time and it was fine after that. Computer reboot should help as well.

Also about the vampire drain throughout the day and at the end, I definitely notice some kind of fan continuing to run even though I have Climate set to off after exiting the vehicle. It seems like it's a fan that is either cooling the battery or some other components? It's definitely coming from the front, and outside of the cabin.

I don’t think 11 mi loss on an 80 degree day is out of line. And I’m assuming the 80 degrees is outdoor temp. Was car sitting in sun or under shade? People who’ve never monitored their inside car temp are surprised at how in even with moderate outdoor temps a car’s inside temp can get to 120 or more. Someone recently made a post like this on this forum and I think his outdoor temps were in the 70s.

When we first got Cabin Overheat Protection on our Model S back in 2017 I monitored outdoor temp and indoor car temps for like a month. Thread is somewhere on the MS forum area. When our temps reached 90s the loss was more substantial. We use COP on our cars. We reached 90 today and I looked in on my car once and saw COP had the temp at that point at 100F inside. I do like to make sure COP is working. When I monitored our MS it would kick on at 104-105 and cool it down to 99-100 and as inside temps would rise kick on again at the 104 range. On super hot days, upper 90s-100+, car sitting in driveway in sun, I even saw the cooling go down to 98 or so I think and temp inside would rise quickly so COP would be activated in quicker intervals.

The car even without COP will be coming on to cool down the battery pack.

BTW Elon has said that Model 3s can be charged to 90% which is what I do home charging overnight. Helps with COP being used more often.

After getting back to my office from lunch today, it was almost 95F outside and I had 228 miles with cabin overheat protection on. There was 0 shade where I parked but I have tinted windows and a sun shield for the front windshield. When I left work about 5 hours later, it was still 90F outside, and my range dropped to 219, which I presume was mostly all from cabin overheat protection as it was only 100F inside the car. I’d say 11 miles Per day in 80F heat is very reasonable, especially if the car is in direct sunlight.

Oh, I also connected to the car with the app once in the 5 hours to check the interior temperature.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Important note if you're new to the car or haven't used Cabin Overheat Proteciton before. Remember that Cabin Overheat Protection only works for 12 hours and only after you have actually sat in the car and left it that day. There would be days my car would be in our driveway and it was going to be a hot day and I would go out to sit in it briefly. I always thought it would be beneficial to be able to turn it on remotely without requiring having sat in it. COP was released during the time lots of news stories were coming out of parents forgetting to drop off their sleeping kid in day care and having gone to work with the child still in the car. There was discussion at the time on the Model S forum that it was likely to cool the cabin to help protect the electronics.

It was after the software update however, that this all started happening. Tesla made some kind of change two releases back. The most glaring thing I notice is that some fan kicks on super loud whenever I stop supercharging and runs forever until I begin driving. It's coming from the front of the car, and it's not my AC. I also notice this fan after I get out of my car. I don't have cabin overheat on, nor do I have Sentry and my Climate is Off.

• Informative
Reactions: Unique
Btw...none of this is vampire drain.

Don’t turn on/enable features and then expect for them to not use energy.

That's the thing. I never turned any of it on. I have noticed abnormal drain as well, since I know exactly how many miles I commute every day, because the route is exactly the same. I am at 26k miles. I leave the house with 289 miles. Get to work with 237, go to lunch, leave for home with 214-217, and arrive home with around 170-173 miles. Currently it is June gloom in SoCal, so I don't need to run AC. Now I'm seeing about 30 miles of range lost throughout the day.

It's not far-fetched to assume that Tesla made changes to the software that ultimately results in more power draw, and I'm not talking about features that users can turn on/off. There seems to be subsystems running like battery cooling and heating that seem to be taking a more active role while the car isn't being driven.

I will turn off Share Data to see if that helps, because that is the only thing left that can be turned off. But once again, I enabled this Day 1, and I was not observing this previously.

That's the thing. I never turned any of it on. I have noticed abnormal drain as well, since I know exactly how many miles I commute every day, because the route is exactly the same. I am at 26k miles. I leave the house with 289 miles. Get to work with 237, go to lunch, leave for home with 214-217, and arrive home with around 170-173 miles. Currently it is June gloom in SoCal, so I don't need to run AC. Now I'm seeing about 30 miles of range lost throughout the day.

It's not far-fetched to assume that Tesla made changes to the software that ultimately results in more power draw, and I'm not talking about features that users can turn on/off. There seems to be subsystems running like battery cooling and heating that seem to be taking a more active role while the car isn't being driven.

I will turn off Share Data to see if that helps, because that is the only thing left that can be turned off. But once again, I enabled this Day 1, and I was not observing this previously.
Hmmm I’m in NorCal and it’s been mid 90s this week. I can hear my car humming most of the day.