Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Dorian to Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Fellow Florida friends. Just a polite reminder for any of you in the potential path of hurricane Dorian this weekend. Time for a 100% charge before the storm hits and power is lost.

Your ICE friends will make fun of you until they realize loss of power means no power for the gas pumps to work.

For those of you who are newbies to the pre-hurricane EV prep, I always consider parking my car in an airport garage. Seems like the airports are usually given priority for restoring power after a storm (at least that has been my experience in Tampa).

Best of luck to anyone in the path of the upcoming storm...........

Last edited by a moderator:
I was here for Frances and Jeanne. Power was out all over town for a while, no traffic lights, no gas pumps. Now I have a propane house generator, so I can charge at home after the power is out. I’m in better shape with an EV and a generator. than I was with an ICE car.

Still have my truck with a full tank, though! Good to have options.

Stay safe everyone, good luck!

I don't want to sound insensitive to our ICE brothers and sisters, but the gas stations in Miami today (friday 8/30) were either out of gas already or had huge lines (I saw one that literally stretched a half mile). I had to laugh as I drove around, running errands for friends to save their gas. No lines at the chargers in my building tonight!

Live in Florida and used the Supercharger in West Plam beach,FL... it definitely was charged..

Same thing happened to me in Miami. I received the following response yesterday:

“Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. Please be aware that Supercharging is only free to those affected by hurrican dorian from 9/4/19 to 9/9/19. It appears your Supercharging sessions was on 8/31/19, and will not be waived.”

This is either a mistake or totally done out of publicity

Terrible follow up

Attachments

• 989A9E20-399B-4CA8-A267-377C8AEC427B.jpeg
    989A9E20-399B-4CA8-A267-377C8AEC427B.jpeg
    807.4 KB · Views: 75
On Aug 30th Musk said there would be free supercharging for everyone in the path of Hurricane Dorian. On that date that ublclides the entire state of Florida. Tesla is now saying free supercharging is only in effect from Sept 4-9th.

They only offer free Supercharging during actual evacuation periods. I'd recommend finding the relevant evacuation order for your area and sending a copy of it to Tesla to justify your request. I know there were several early evacuation orders on Sunday that were postponed due to the hurricane's stall over the Bahamas, but there might have been some on September 2nd for the barrier islands... I don't know, but it might be worth looking into.