Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane water causing fires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This story is all over the place but everything I find is about the same incident and the story appears to originate from Fox News or the NY Post.

The video just shows a smoking car in Florida. The headlines mostly say "Fire" or "Exploding" EVs. It's not clear what made the Tesla smoke, and the story claims hundreds of gallons were already poured on it.

If this smoke was from the lithium pack, I'd expect a real fire and major damage/melting of the car. But the car looks fine, other than the smoke.

There are quotes saying other EVs caught on fire from the hurricane too, but I couldn't find any stories about them.

As of now I'll guess it's a regular 12V electrical fire of some sort, similar to what you could get from an ICE car. But who knows for sure at this point. Right now the story just looks politically motivated, unless I see some further details showing up elsewhere.

Here is an article questioning this story...

EV fires in Florida?

BS story. There was an accident on i75, guy hit a tree and the car went up in flames. Tragic. But they seemed to take that an run in thier own direction to bash the car and EV transition. Typical. The pictured car never caught on fire that I ever saw.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
So I was googling around and looked for "fake tesla fire hurrican ian florida" to see if any outlets reported the fact that there's really only that one white model x with no plates smoking, but then I stumbled upon this, which appears to show a red model s on fire:

I would like to start of by saying that I have been interested in getting an EV, but reading some news lately and rethinking everything and I might just stick with ICE for a little while longer. You guys sound really biased by saying that there have not been cases of these fires and frankly straight up stupid thinking these reported cases are false. Videos below are making me reconsider. I think EV cars are really cool, but I do not think they are the answer to solving climate issues.

I have also been reading about high speed car accidents that have been fatal with tesla models including the plaid. I know people are going to argue that the accident numbers are higher with ICE cars and that high speed accidents occurred in the past too. There are also more ICE cars on the road so to make a comparison is difficult. However, with the crazy acceleration numbers in a relatively affordable car I think those numbers are going to increase especially as more people buy EVs and EV will become even faster. You can get a Model 3 P which accelerates from 0-60 in 3.1s used for about 45-50k which a few years ago was achieved by supercars.

Hopefully I dont hurt the feelings of tesla/elon fanboys.

I would like to start of by saying that I have been interested in getting an EV, but reading some news lately and rethinking everything and I might just stick with ICE for a little while longer. You guys sound really biased by saying that there have not been cases of these fires and frankly straight up stupid thinking these reported cases are false. Videos below are making me reconsider. I think EV cars are really cool, but I do not think they are the answer to solving climate issues.

I have also been reading about high speed car accidents that have been fatal with tesla models including the plaid. I know people are going to argue that the accident numbers are higher with ICE cars and that high speed accidents occurred in the past too. There are also more ICE cars on the road so to make a comparison is difficult. However, with the crazy acceleration numbers in a relatively affordable car I think those numbers are going to increase especially as more people buy EVs and EV will become even faster. You can get a Model 3 P which accelerates from 0-60 in 3.1s used for about 45-50k which a few years ago was achieved by supercars.

Hopefully I dont hurt the feelings of tesla/elon fanboys.

I can’t say I really fault your reasoning. EVangelism isn’t for everyone.

I would like to start of by saying that I have been interested in getting an EV, but reading some news lately and rethinking everything and I might just stick with ICE for a little while longer.

Because using oil as an energy source never caused/funded any problems? .... as long as you ignore ~90% of armed conflicts in the last 40 years... :rolleyes: Between Ruzzia, Iran, Saudia Arabia and Venezuela every gallon of fools fuel people buy is basically just another installment toward WW3.

If EVs bother your conscience your options are walking and/or riding a bicycle.

so do we think all the EV fires are 12 V caused? Just trying to get to my "conservative friends"
Bump on this, please.

I just spoke with a neighbor (who has a M3) and he is concerned about fires, smh. The PWs that continued to work even when submerged during Ian suggest that the fires are not inevitable with Lithium batteries, so does anybody have any links that show where/how 12V batteries are causing them?
And does that mean simply disconnecting the 12V battery in an EV will eliminate the risk? If so, that would get rid of the need for junk lots to park EVs 50 feet apart, and it should be a simple step to take so that tow trucks can safely move disabled vehicles.

TIA!

Ill preface and say Im not an expert by any means. IF an EV was on fire, I would highly suspect the high voltage battery over the 12v battery. Lithium is extremely sensitive/reactive to water (if memory serves me correct). The main issue is the fires I believe in most cases secondary, or a result to a larger issue, for example a near fatal high speed crash that causes the battery to rupture.

Reactions: CatB