Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC low frequency rumble still strong at 45k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pianewman

2021 MYLR VIN 88,XXX, Rd/Wh, 12/20 delivery
Supporting Member
Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
88xxx, Dec. 2020 build MYLR. 20k miles

I've been driving around with a totally silent MYLR for the last couple of days. Blissful!!!! The secret? TURN OFF THE HVAC!!!!!

I'm still extremely annoyed at the low frequency rumble any time the HVAC is engaged, manual or auto, at any temp. I can't believe that Tesla hasn't come up with some sort of fix, as it's louder than any hybrid we own, even when the hybrid ICE is running.

I'm tempted to take it to a reputable auto HVAC shop and have them poke around. Is there just no way to better isolate the car from the compressor rumble, or is it simply the nature of the compressor itself? It's loud enough to wake me from any brief napping, which I try to do on the road when Supercharging. (No, it isn't louder when Supercharging, it's exactly the same.)

Resurrecting an old thread.

Now at 45k miles, 2.5 years, low frequency grumble is as strong as before. I'm approaching the end of my 50k warranty, wondering if this issue needs to be addressed?

I've noticed before that the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the compressor area, but rather from the floor behind the front seats. The HVAC goes from silent (except for cabin fans blowing) to a gently increasing rumble, holds steady for several seconds, then ramps back down. It continues to cycle on/off, and is only noticeable when the car is sitting still.

I don't know much about the routing of the plumbing of the HVAC/coolant lines, etc, and how it's tied into the octovalve, etc.

Thoughts?

Have you checked to see if there's a service bulletin on this? I'd put in a service ticket.

I thought when Sandy Monroe tore down a newer model, he commented how the compressor was supported differently on newer models.

Service checked it at 20k miles, said everything was normal. Compressor had the "improved" acoustic jacket around it. Tech couldn't find unusual vibration in the surrounding refrigerant lines.
I will now look into how the newer compressors are mounted.
Thanks.

Reactions: towndrunk