Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC smell after/during rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is 2 years old and they recommend to replace the hepa filter so took it in and complained about the smell. It appears the housing and seal has been updated. Will update after a rain and let y’all know.

View attachment 1001159
I am in a similar situation with a strong outside smell, still after 3 tesla services that haven't been able to find the root of the problem.

Please share your experience.

If your car smells like gym socks immediately after it rains, the filters are not the cause. Over the past 2 years I’ve gotten this smell in my M3 with brand new filters. I even drove with no filter at all for over a month and still got the smell after rain.

Not saying that the filters won’t start to smell over time but they’re not the source. Water is sitting somewhere in the HVAC system and not draining fast enough. You can prove this to yourself by driving in the rain, letting it sit until the exterior is dry and using the app to turn the climate on HI. If you look under the car you’ll immediately see water draining. I’m convinced that the smell is originating from wherever this water is sitting because once it stops draining (this can has taken over an hour of climate on HI), the smell goes away.

So that’s what I’ve been doing. Run climate on high at the end of rainy days with the windows cracked. What also seems to work is setting cabin overheat protection to “fan only” and parking in the sun for several hours so the car gets hot enough for the fan to run continuously.

Reactions: boonedocks
Check out this thread.......it worked for me.

If your car smells like gym socks immediately after it rains, the filters are not the cause. Over the past 2 years I’ve gotten this smell in my M3 with brand new filters. I even drove with no filter at all for over a month and still got the smell after rain.

Not saying that the filters won’t start to smell over time but they’re not the source. Water is sitting somewhere in the HVAC system and not draining fast enough. You can prove this to yourself by driving in the rain, letting it sit until the exterior is dry and using the app to turn the climate on HI. If you look under the car you’ll immediately see water draining. I’m convinced that the smell is originating from wherever this water is sitting because once it stops draining (this can has taken over an hour of climate on HI), the smell goes away.

So that’s what I’ve been doing. Run climate on high at the end of rainy days with the windows cracked. What also seems to work is setting cabin overheat protection to “fan only” and parking in the sun for several hours so the car gets hot enough for the fan to run continuously.
The model S is different than 3. The cause in the S is the HVAC filter.

• Disagree
The model S is different than 3. The cause in the S is the HVAC filter.
From what I can tell, the order in which air passes through each of the components (air duct, fan, filter, condenser) is the same isn’t it?

The smell and the way in which it occurs are the same as the model 3. Admittedly, I’ve never put hands on a model S, but I’m not seeing how the filter would get wet with the car simply sitting in the rain with the climate off, or during an exterior car wash.

EDIT: Nevermind, I’m guessing you’re referring to the HEPA filter (not the cabin filter)?

Last edited:
From what I can tell, the order in which air passes through each of the components (air duct, fan, filter, condenser) is the same isn’t it?

The smell and the way in which it occurs are the same as the model 3. Admittedly, I’ve never put hands on a model S, but I’m not seeing how the filter would get wet with the car simply sitting in the rain with the climate off, or during an exterior car wash.

EDIT: Nevermind, I’m guessing you’re referring to the HEPA filter (not the cabin filter)?
It is the same. It is NOT the filter. Apparently for the S there is a new filter housing update you can pay for yourself that fixes the problem. I am just waiting for the 2024 mini-refresh to buy my next S which has the updated filter housing

Reactions: BeeGood
I had for the past 6-9 months had a nasty smell come out the HVAC when its raining. it lasts for just a couple minutes and goes away but it's awful. Tesla replaced the cabin filter but it made no difference. anyone else run into this?
2020 model 3 owner who had the smell and 2023 model s owner as well that has not had the smell. Water is entering from under the hood. You need to block it and replace the filters. You block it with a rubber dam near the bottom of the windshield and you can place a hydrophobic filter over the air intake under the hood to help prevent it. Smell has not come back in my 3 and never started in the S.

Reactions: BeeGood
For the Model S Refresh - I pulled the under frunk biodefense HEPA filter out, and the vinegar smelly sock/poop smell went away right away. Good news is that while the HEPA housing used to cost $500, tesla sells the filter assembly only for $115+tax over the counter. This is the 15x15" large HEPA filter, and NOT the cabin filter which everyone gets confused about. Just got my order done today and no more nasty smells