Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When A/C is on higher speed 7+. Intermittently experiencing a strong vibration in steering wheel and foot pedals. You can not hear the vibration only feel it. The vibration is when car is stationary and can occur while driving. Adjusting the speed of HVAC will usually stop the vibration. It is a random occurrence. Anyone noticed this with Model Y 2023 long range?

Yes, I noticed the exact behavior on my 2023 Model Y. It doesn't do it all the time but is usually noticeable when first getting in the car and HVAC is just turning on. Can feel a slight vibration on the brake petal. It's almost like something is spinning up and is slightly off balance.

I wonder if it is the AC or the heat pump ? i put the cars heating on this mornings as it was cold and experienced just the same - vibration and noise so strong that i assumed something was faulty and stopped the car assuming it was something else - when i turned off the heating controls it stopped, my car is 3 weeks old - surely this isn’t normal? never had this in 30 years of car ownership? what do people think?

These all sound like issues with the blower fan. One way to test... turn off the heating or cooling and just run the fan alone at full speed.

As an aside, the heating & cooling function is basically the same mechanically, just reversed. When heating, the heat pump compressor kind of reverses direction. It is not like a traditional HVAC, where the compressor only runs with AC and heat is handled by engine coolant. So, to test if it is the fan vs. compressor, you need to turn off any heating or cooling function.

These all sound like issues with the blower fan. One way to test... turn off the heating or cooling and just run the fan alone at full speed.

As an aside, the heating & cooling function is basically the same mechanically, just reversed. When heating, the heat pump compressor kind of reverses direction. It is not like a traditional HVAC, where the compressor only runs with AC and heat is handled by engine coolant. So, to test if it is the fan vs. compressor, you need to turn off any heating or cooling function.

Our MY LR delivered 5 days ago was doing this from day one.. when the car was dropped off, I waited 30 mins then went out to sit in an have a play, and the moment the heating started the low frequency loud noise started and built until you could feel it through the steering wheel.. it went away 2 minutes later (in hindsight when the cabin was nearly to temperature!)..

Anyway, over the next few days I noticed as the weather is 7-10c and the cabin is cold, getting in and the initial heating phase does the same thing, so last night I popped the door open and stood outside and the noise was 'worrying'..

Here's a quick recording..
The camera can't record the interior low frequency element, but it's quite pronounced.. however, no disputing the external noise I hope! I'd be interested in others experience.. normally it lasts 20 seconds or so, but will carry on for 2 minutes on a colder morning..

And I guess no surprise, the service request just got closed with 'its operating normally'.. However, I have gone back because we have other Model Y owners (theirs are early 2023 LRs) and I fired it up lunchtime and two of them said they've never heard that level/type of noise and also that level of vibration through the steering wheel..

In some ways I could live with it, when up to temp, it's actually silent in the cabin, no background noise that some complain of, but lets just say that people hearing that noise emanating from a brand new car tend to get the impression Tesla's are poorly engineered..

My Fremont YP has done it in cold weather on start up warming the car up.
I do not recall whether I could feel it in the controls
Doesn't bother me, figure it is just part of the heating cooling system doing it's job.

Having a vehicle that can be made toasty warm, while I am still in the house drinking coffee before departure: Priceless.

The Tesla Model Y's heat pump features a variable speed compressor. The compressor can spin at up to 9000 RPM. You may notice additional noise and vibration when the compressor is running at near maximum speed. This typically happens when starting to precondition the Tesla Model Y (especially in cold or hot weather.) After ~10 minutes the compressor speed will usually slow and the vibration and noise will be less.

Battery warming (as indicated by the electric resistance heating grid icon displayed on the Tesla screen and the app (3 orange vertical squiggle lines) is handled by stator heating using the front (where equipped) and rear drive unit motor stators. Battery warming may also take place while navigating to a Supercharger. Stator heating may produce additional noise and especially vibration that may be felt through the steering column/steering wheel. The battery warming cycle via stator heating sounds, feels totally different than when the heat pump compressor is running at maximum speed.