Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, that's not what is happening, tesla get's a snapshot of your travels based on the logging protocol they download to your car whenever the mothership says. It could be extreme curves or intersections or user disengagements etthe mothership can ask for logs based on anything.

However it's not the entire trip and only the criteria that match the log request and then it's only I "believe' a 10s snapshot including video, telemetry and radar data.

Well, I guess in theory that could be of sufficient quality to feed into the NN piecemeal.

There is also the question of trusting the NN on what it sees.

Others are using sensor fusion i.e. Lidar and radar as a sort of safety blanket or sanity check on what the vision is seeing. Tesla has no such safety blanket beyond a very narrow frontal radar.

Tesla of course still has time to change this for future suites. But they've been quite adamant about not needing Lidar. I wonder how much of a "sell what you have now" show that is...

Sure, that's always been the question - do you need lidar or not? I don't dispute (nobody does) that having lidar would help advance the reliability of self driving cars in the short run. Tesla's gamble was that massive fleet reinforcement learning could overcome the lack of expensive lidar. And on the flip side, lidar's high price meant that nobody was every going to put it into a massive commercial scale customer fleet for large scale reinforcement deep learning.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
No, that's not what is happening, tesla get's a snapshot of your travels based on the logging protocol they download to your car whenever the mothership says. It could be extreme curves or intersections or user disengagements etthe mothership can ask for logs based on anything.

However it's not the entire trip and only the criteria that match the log request and then it's only I "believe' a 10s snapshot including video, telemetry and radar data.
Oh I thought it was several minutes of the trip. Only 10 seconds eh? But for that short 10 second clip is it least the entire total of all sensory input?

• Helpful
I appreciate that the competition talk is better on the other thread, so a quick comment on Tesla.

It is telling that other competition has announced projects and features many, many years ago, and even they may be facing delays. Tesla announced AP2 in late-2016, have faced massive delays in even their Level 2 project since, and we're discussing them being ahead of the competition in Levels 4-5?

Other than Tesla making a bold claim and shipping a hardware platform (sufficiency of which is questionable), it really isn't a very believable assumption that they'd be first, is it? At the very least, the assumption relies heavily on faith alone, not on any kind of evidence.

I guess that's one reason why discussing development matters. It puts Tesla's publicly known progress in its likely context. Feel free to elaborate if and why you feel Tesla is ahead of the curve on Level 4-5?
@calisnow beat me to it already. Having around 100k vehicles on the ground (and poised for a massive increase with Model 3 release) is a fairly big advantage. When the others talk about volume, it's measured in the hundreds, because of the same difference I discussed in the other comment (something made for consumer use, vs commercial fleet use).

AP2 is delayed versus the initial expected schedule, but putting aside the whole false advertising argument, in terms of what they accomplished in this time frame, it's still impressive to me. And this has been discussed on other threads, but it's not safe to assume that the team working on AP2 and FSD is the same, so progress on AP2 may not necessarily be a good indicator of how far along FSD is.

As for FSD development, Tesla has kept quiet about it, and I think that is a good thing. I don't think they want a repeat of what happened with AP2 (both the expected timeline initially published on the website, and also Elon's tweets). We'll see our next update on the cross country trip and also in the disengagement report released next year.

That's probably not true either. Because Tesla has an enormous advantage either way. If trillions of simulation miles are required (remember - in a simulator you can speed things up a bit, time is kind of a variable parameter) - Tesla is far ahead of the competition when it comes to validating their simulation results in the field. It's more likely that one of their cars will eventually encounter a simulated situation, than any other car, so they have this advantage, no?
Yes this is a good point - I hadn't thought of this actually.

Yes, Tesla has an advantage on the verification possibilities through their fleet.

The bigger question, though, is how far behind are they of the competition? How much can such advantages offset the things where Tesla is behind.

It will be interesting to watch. I have a horse in the race too - I'd certainly love for my Model X to get a Level 5 update sometimes soon. :)

So I find it hard to believe that they will be able to build a huge multi-vendor fleet which actively sends data back from customers cars in the near future. For starters, who will bear the cost of that data? It wont be the OEM.
Mobileye claims to be doing exactly that and to have signed agreements during the last year with multiple huge auto companies. Well - they claim they are about to start doing it and that the agreements are in place. They must have hashed out the cost/benefit and data sharing issues already. You can look this up - it's all public and Amnon gives some very good talks about his "road experience management" mapping project to get low bandwidth maps built - it does look ingenius. He does not, however, claim to be doing or to be planning to do reinforcement learning using a giant crowd sourced fleet - or if he has I have never seen the claim.

Reactions: J1mbo
Yes, Tesla has an advantage on the verification possibilities through their fleet. The bigger question, though, is how far behind are they of the competition? How much can such advantages offset the things where Tesla is behind. It will be interesting to watch. I have a horse in the race too - I'd certainly love for my Model X to get a Level 5 update sometimes soon. :)

Yes and the follow-on question is - can the competition, though it might be ahead in terms of disengagements in the real world at this moment, actually cross the finish line to an acceptable level of reliability without a massive scale fleet reinforcement project? The competition could be 95% of the way to the finish line and Tesla is only 20% - but if it turns out you need a Tesla-scale testing network then if the competition doesn't build one with another OEM manufacturer then they could diddle around, right in front of the finish line for several more years while Tesla catches up and passes them.

I am surprised, actually, that after this many years - no other automaker has teamed up with an AI group to do exactly what Tesla is now doing (though many partnerships are being announced left and right - indicating that maybe everyone is privately reaching the same conclusion but won't admit it yet). Maybe it is a structural problem and a cost/political problem with other automakers that can't be overcome - maybe you need a fast moving automaker with a silicon valley mindset to have produced this kind of test fleet by 2017.

OR - maybe you do not actually need huge fleets - I dunno. Maybe that's why nobody else is doing it this way yet.

• Helpful
Final thought then I have go back to the boring business of running my actual business - is that perhaps Tesla has another large advantage in its customer base. Tesla's sales growth has proven that the customers have been more than willing to let Tesla "move fast and break things" and in fact to be part of a massive beta test. It's possible that Audi/Daimler/GM would have a hard time get their customer base to accept being part of a giant test project even it ultimately advanced the state of the AI better and faster than any other method.

Every time I read some dumb journalist throwing off the sound bite "Only Tesla is irresponsible enough to use its customers as beta testers for self driving" I wanted to say "Read just a tiny tiny bit about how deep learning works and you will realize that perhaps there is no other way to bring self driving to fruition without the data set that only a commercial scale vehicle network can provide."

@calisnow Given sufficient many years into the future, anyone can win and be right. It is a question what can be seen today, from the available data. It seems quite foggy to me.

That said, I can see a scenario where everyone basically is wrong. Tesla going Lidar, yet winning on fleet or something. Many things are possible, if we consider all alternatives.

Which ones are likely, that is a bigger question.

Frankly, I think Google will win the autonomous driving one - and Audi will probably win Level 3.

Reactions: calisnow
I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Google's Android is so far ahead of Apple's iOS in terms of usability, design and useful AI it isn't even close. If that kind of expertise with learning and big data carries over to self driving - I can see Google getting there first in a commercial solution.