Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2 Autopilot and concrete-grooved freeways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently drove westbound on the 22 fwy (SoCal). For those not in the know, when the sun is setting, it's right on the freeway. The sun was just low enough to necessitate pulling down the sun visor. I had Autopilot on and I noticed my front passenger's - side sensors continuously activating even tho' no one was there. This caused the AP to push me to the far left of the carpool lane. When I passed over to black asphalt, from the white, grooved concrete, the phenomenon ceased. I could guess what the AP's confusion was about but, without more data, it would only be a guesstimation. Anyone else have a similar adventure?

Sort of a similar phenomenon, but loud motorcycles even many lanes over will cause AP2 ultrasonics to dance. I think it's sound / noise interference being interpreted as ultrasound echoes.

As much as Tesla boasts that AP2 has *more* advanced ultrasonics, I'm not sure I entirely buy it. In a lot of cases the range is longer, but in some cases I have seen more propensity to get confused (especially when driving near other cars with parking sensors)

That's interesting. It sounds like their engineers need to test the system further, not only the unique parameters of the advanced sensors but as a whole with the rest of the system. They need to finesse the logic to verify that what the sensors see, jive with reality.