Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so it was 100% free? Other than visualization did you find any CPU improvements like streaming is faster etc? Feel free to PM if you prefer.
Yes 100% free. I’m now on Tesla vision after updating to 2022.24.8 and I can tell you on my commute it was was more confident on interchanges than the previous NoA software stack. Yet to have issues with wipers or auto high beams or phantom breaking but it’s only been 2 days and ~50 miles on autopilot.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla and KenC
Yes 100% free. I’m now on Tesla vision after updating to 2022.24.8 and I can tell you on my commute it was was more confident on interchanges than the previous NoA software stack. Yet to have issues with wipers or auto high beams or phantom breaking but it’s only been 2 days and ~50 miles on autopilot.

Might try it if it's mobile (i hate taking the car in)

AP does interchanges? Funny i had my 1st phantom breaking in a while on the highway yesterday. Scared me. Might have been trash on HOV.

Might try it if it's mobile (i hate taking the car in)

AP does interchanges? Funny i had my 1st phantom breaking in a while on the highway yesterday. Scared me. Might have been trash on HOV.
No sorry I wasn’t clear I have basic AP included but I did purchase a 1 month FSD subscription at $199 a couple days after my HW3.0 upgrade just to try it out.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
For anyone considering this with an older 'legacy' HW2.5/radar-equipped Model 3,
note that with HW3 you will be forced into the Tesla Vision config with the recent 2022.20.x/.24.x and likely any recent FSD Beta builds. And once switched to Vision, there is no going back.

There seem to be indications (greentheonly, etc) that radar is still used (somehow) if the hardware is present, but as stated above/before, TACC/AP/FSD will now force auto-headlights, auto-wipers, and lower the follow distance and max speed a notch. Add to that all the extra front and side care nags - all Vision features.

Interestingly many Model Ys and post 2021 refresh 3s, come with HW3.5. Perhaps the retrofits done today also are HW3.5.

Update:

After 2 days of the 3.0 swap, the invoice states that the swap required a new 12v battery, it didn’t say which one whether Lithium or Lead Acid, I have to look under the hood to check it later. New 12v battery Free of charge, HW3.0 computer also Free of charge including the labor. Checked tire pressure which was fine before so, the only charge was $58.00 for the cabin filter.

While at Tesla this morning I did a Factory reset because the car still showed my old email address under the “global profile” and it still doesn’t match my current updated email under my account in the App. Also while at Tesla I updated my navigational map as it showed me at Palo Alto where it was born back in March 2019. After the Navigation Map was updated I drove home and checked that I was on Tesla Vision only and no longer using the radar. I noticed that as I past a speed limit sign it saw it and very quickly updated the speed limit to the screen. I’m on 2022.24.6.

There was a phantom braking as I came up to some bike riders off to my right so I’m guessing the new computer is having to relearn everything again. It also didn’t know my alternative route home, it took a lot longer to think about the route I was currently on and it would not change over to the new route until I was deep in it.

Anyways guys, No charge, if it changes later, I will let you know. Checking my bank account, only the cabin filter was charged.

Have to go out and relearn my Homelink and the wifi because I have to search for it again after the factory reset that I did this morning.

Now what I need is the new AMD Chip, I was able to compare this AMD with my friends car and I must say it’s lightning fast compared to my Intel chip. So if you guys know how I can update to the new AMD chip or how much, let me know. I found that by deleting all of the games my infotainment is much faster.

Post if you have any more questions.

Fred

Reactions: Vol16
Update:

After 2 days of the 3.0 swap, the invoice states that the swap required a new 12v battery, it didn’t say which one whether Lithium or Lead Acid, I have to look under the hood to check it later. New 12v battery Free of charge, HW3.0 computer also Free of charge including the labor. Checked tire pressure which was fine before so, the only charge was $58.00 for the cabin filter.

While at Tesla this morning I did a Factory reset because the car still showed my old email address under the “global profile” and it still doesn’t match my current updated email under my account in the App. Also while at Tesla I updated my navigational map as it showed me at Palo Alto where it was born back in March 2019. After the Navigation Map was updated I drove home and checked that I was on Tesla Vision only and no longer using the radar. I noticed that as I past a speed limit sign it saw it and very quickly updated the speed limit to the screen. I’m on 2022.24.6.

There was a phantom braking as I came up to some bike riders off to my right so I’m guessing the new computer is having to relearn everything again. It also didn’t know my alternative route home, it took a lot longer to think about the route I was currently on and it would not change over to the new route until I was deep in it.

Anyways guys, No charge, if it changes later, I will let you know. Checking my bank account, only the cabin filter was charged.

Have to go out and relearn my Homelink and the wifi because I have to search for it again after the factory reset that I did this morning.

Now what I need is the new AMD Chip, I was able to compare this AMD with my friends car and I must say it’s lightning fast compared to my Intel chip. So if you guys know how I can update to the new AMD chip or how much, let me know. I found that by deleting all of the games my infotainment is much faster.

Fred
Glad you got it for free! And a battery to boot! Luckily I only had minor homelink hiccups when I got back home everything else was saved except trip meter. I’ve read where some experienced techs can download data and reload it after a swap. I think I got lucky with the experience of the Cincinnati service center.
EDIT: I would also LOVE the AMD chip but I don’t think we are going to even be offered a retrofit :(

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
12v battery Lithium would be great. Mine was swapped a year in b/c it was bulging in PHX heat. (very common w/ lead) Hope to get another one done b/f warranty expires 6/23.

New infotainment chip is what I want over 3.0 but looks like that's not free??

HW3.5? I thought HW3.0 was the latest until HW4 gets released.
HW3.5 appears to have been silently released sometime in 2020/2021, I forget. We talked about it so long ago now. There used to be a few boards on eBay motors from salvaged Ys or newer 3s that had the label and threads on/off here discussing it. No material diff from 3.0 but apparenly newer enough to warrant the uptick.

Re change to lithium in OPs HW3 upgraded car, I doubt it. The whole 12v wiring on the Lithium equipped 3s/Ys is set to run at 15.x volts. Not a simple PnP swap for older Teslas. Its most likely a new 12v that was put in, upgrade might have flagged a deficiency with the old battery during the diagnostics cycles.

Update:

Fred
You think slowing for bikes is "phantom braking" or is that just being careful? Presumably the car did re-calibrate, right?

I don't think you can get an AMD to replace the Atom chip. Would be nice.

You think slowing for bikes is "phantom braking" or is that just being careful? Presumably the car did re-calibrate, right?

I don't think you can get an AMD to replace the Atom chip. Would be nice.

With 2.5 & on Auto Pilot when approaching a bike, the car still drove at speeds but was still careful, what I experienced here was like slamming on the brakes where I had to floor it to keep going. Phantom Braking. I drive both a 2019 Model 3 and a 2020 Model Y, I think I know a lot of phantom braking. And like I stated before, the only phantom braking was with coming up on a empty car carrier.

Also just to be cleared, I do see the extra features like Chime on a green light which it hasn’t worked yet while waiting at a light. I also do not have Enhanced Auto Pilot on any of my cars. I am not on any FSD beta as of now.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: KenC