Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 2019.16.2 Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m really curious about the touch-screen display. Does it have its own CPU/GPU or is that external? I’m guessing it’s probably an Android device...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the display/media is controlled by the MCU (media control unit) which is on version 2. That's a separate component from the computer that handles driving functions (neural network, auto steering, cruise control, etc.). I think they switched to version 2 of the MCU over a year ago and they aren't different in HW3.

However, since the dash cam videos are encoded with a different codec in HW3 that particular feature must be handled by the HW3 computer. Not sure exactly where they draw the line of functions handled by the MCU vs HW3/2.5 computer.

Anyone have a better understanding?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the display/media is controlled by the MCU (media control unit) which is on version 2. That's a separate component from the computer that handles driving functions (neural network, auto steering, cruise control, etc.). I think they switched to version 2 of the MCU over a year ago and they aren't different in HW3.

However, since the dash cam videos are encoded with a different codec in HW3 that particular feature must be handled by the HW3 computer. Not sure exactly where they draw the line of functions handled by the MCU vs HW3/2.5 computer.

Anyone have a better understanding?
I remember reading (and my own experience hasn't proven otherwise) is that the model 3 has three systems. You have the MCU . You have the drivetrain system which handles all your driving logic and battery management. Then there's the autopilot computer which handles autopilot and its sensors.

So you've already figured out that the autopilot computer is the one doing the encoding for the dashcam and sentry modes. This is because it turns out the MCU actually doesn't have connections to those cameras! I believe the MCU only has a connection to the backup camera, which makes sense since it has to be displayed onscreen for the driver.

Interestingly.. I think Tesla could probably add the backup camera to sentry mode but not dashcam. This would be because I don't think the MCU could encode the backup camera while you're driving and using the MCU.

This separation is also the reason that a birds eye-view parking mode can't come through a software patch (well the car lacks the necessary cameras in the first place) But either way- most of the cameras likely can't be displayed in real-time by the MCU because they're routed to autopilot only... UNLESS the bandwidth from autopilot computer to the MCU is fast enough to stream video.

The current MCU in model 3s and new S/X is an intel atom system apparently the E3950. Old S/X used nvidia tegra. Both run linux.

still stuck with 2019.7.106 :rolleyes:

Yikes you might want to put in a service request on the app and have them check that. Mine delivered on 5/3 was on that version but had already downloaded 2019.12.1.2 and I installed as soon as I got home. I'd be shocked if there are still cars out there that haven't been approved for the 2019.12.x update. Might be stuck in the process somewhere.

Also I'm sure you know this but here's the obligatory "make sure you're connecting to wifi" admonition.

Yikes you might want to put in a service request on the app and have them check that. Mine delivered on 5/3 was on that version but had already downloaded 2019.12.1.2 and I installed as soon as I got home. I'd be shocked if there are still cars out there that haven't been approved for the 2019.12.x update. Might be stuck in the process somewhere.

Also I'm sure you know this but here's the obligatory "make sure you're connecting to wifi" admonition.

Agree with this. I got my car 5/2 and had that older version, but within a day or two was bumped to 2019.12.1.2 where I've stayed.