Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Install Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my HW3 upgrade completed yesterday at my local service center.

Took about 2.5 hours as other owners had mentioned. Dropped my car off at 7:30am and was ready for pickup by 10am.

They were able to scrape all my saved settings, profiles and driving data and ported it over to the new system. My software stayed the same at 2020.32.3.

For calibration of the cameras, it took around 5 miles (combination of street and freeway driving). I enabled full self-driving visuals and stop sign/light control features and had no issues with it.

Really happy with the upgrade!

Just had my HW3 upgrade completed yesterday at my local service center.

Took about 2.5 hours as other owners had mentioned. Dropped my car off at 7:30am and was ready for pickup by 10am.

They were able to scrape all my saved settings, profiles and driving data and ported it over to the new system. My software stayed the same at 2020.32.3.

For calibration of the cameras, it took around 5 miles (combination of street and freeway driving). I enabled full self-driving visuals and stop sign/light control features and had no issues with it.

Really happy with the upgrade!
They have a script they run that saves all settings to the cloud - then re-downloads them onto the new computer.

My upgrade (MS HW2.5 > 3) took 1hr50mins between dropoff & SMS notification to collect (on 6th May), then ~20km of driving on way home for camera calibration.

Saved seat settings, browser favourites, etc., were all transferred to new HW.

Overall a very smooth & painless process!

Reactions: TulsaCoker
They have a script they run that saves all settings to the cloud - then re-downloads them onto the new computer.

Assuming they actually use it, i lost everything (and it took 3 days) and i'm assuming they just didn't run it. Have seen plenty of others where Tesla did the same and lied by saying "its a new computer, that's what happens!"

They didn't have the script in the very beginning.....

Then how were some people having their settings transferred and others weren't? Some people had great experiences and no change in saved settings and others had everything wiped out. It seems they may be better at it now (many months later) but for the first few months it was quite terrible.

I scheduled it for March 31st 1pm EST a couple of days ago.
Today I received message that
<<<We are currently out of Tesla loaner vehicles for tomorrow's appointments and can only provide Uber ride credits at this time.
Also Please be advised - service visits are taking 2 to 4 days in length at a minimum at this current point in time to go into the shop>>>

I am surprise to see that there is no loaner and service is taking 2 to 4 days..
Any idea, that we can negotiate either loaner vehicle or faster service than 2 days???

I scheduled it for March 31st 1pm EST a couple of days ago.
Today I received message that
<<<We are currently out of Tesla loaner vehicles for tomorrow's appointments and can only provide Uber ride credits at this time.
Also Please be advised - service visits are taking 2 to 4 days in length at a minimum at this current point in time to go into the shop>>>

I am surprise to see that there is no loaner and service is taking 2 to 4 days..
Any idea, that we can negotiate either loaner vehicle or faster service than 2 days???
That’s similar to what I saw last summer when I needed service. The Uber credits are fine as long as you don’t have kids to haul around or a long commute but it’s not ideal for a lot of situations. You can always try to talk to the service manager face to face but most centers seem overwhelmed at this point. IIRC the install itself only took a couple of hours so I don’t understand why they can’t just get you to come in the day they are ready to do your car.

Finally, I dropped the car for HW3 upgrade and the service center guys couldn't able to find loaner car so given UBER ride home.
They told me that tomorrow by 5pm all will be completed and ready to pickup that they will notify me.

mobile service and it took about 45 minutes for the computer swap and about 1.5 hours for the firmware update and profile setting transfer. All I needed to do was to pair the phone and connect to Wi-FI. He left and I drove around for about 15 minutes to have the cameras calibrated