Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Mobile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my upgrade two weeks ago. 90 miles each way trip to the Service Center. The installation of the hardware piece did not take too long, but was told the software side takes hours and requires car to be upgraded at Service Center for now. I was in at 8am and picked it up at 2pm. I was not even given an option of Mobile Service.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Yep I have a 3, now the worst part now is we are now looking at 4-8" of snow tomorrow morning when I'm supposed to drive from Lansing to Toledo
National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary
Yikes!

From what I understand, swapping computers in S and X just means unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one. In the 3, apparently the computer is liquid cooled and tied into the car's coolant system, so swapping it out is quite a bit more involved. Hence having to visit a SC instead of mobile service being able to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Well the warm 35 degree weather kept the snow to a minimum on the roads. This morning I fully charged from Lansing to work in Jackson then off to Toledo for the swap.

Took about 2 hours to swap the HW at the Toledo SC, but I probably wouldn't have made it back to Lansing without a quick charge in Ann Arbor. (the Ann Arbor Supercharger reports closed/reduced service on the app but seemed to charge just fine).

Also the ice seemed to doom my radar and cruise control wouldn't engage due to radar not seeing well. Today is hardly the day to test FSD in Michigan

Reactions: destructure00
I had a Ranger out yesterday for some work on my wife's 2015 S70D. While there I asked about mobile HW3 updates (I am scheduled to bring my 2018 P3D+ into my local Service Center tomorrow and this was switched from a mobile job). The Ranger said that they are reluctant to do the swap Mobile as there are coolant lines to deal with and if they have a leak or an issue it is a major problem out in the field. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
BTW I just had my September 2018 build P3D+ upgraded to HW 3.0 Thursday. Dropped car off in the morning, ready end of day. They do warn you that they sometimes need to do a full vehicle reset (lose all settings). Mine went fine. You do lose Bluetooth settings to your phones (but not the phone-as-key settings), and also lose WiFi passwords. Some Nav and Autopilot settings revert to defaults and need to be reselected. FWIW my camera calibration took maybe 10-15 minutes on the highway. All good.

Reactions: destructure00