Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welp....it's going back to the service centre next Thursday.

Was in contact with Tesla Support and they found at first the car was still marked as being in service. They apparently cleared it out and had me do the usual centre console reset and full power off for 5 minutes. But that didn't work. Had another Tesla support chat session and was then told to drive around for 30 min, thinking it will reset and detect my position....nope didn't work. Had a 3rd Tesla support chat session and was just told to schedule another service appointment.

This could have been avoided if they just simply did a quick test drive before sending the car back to me.

So just be aware if you're getting yours done to make sure your GPS works by driving around the area first. Wish I had done that before leaving the service center.

Oh well.

Welp....it's going back to the service centre next Thursday.

Was in contact with Tesla Support and they found at first the car was still marked as being in service. They apparently cleared it out and had me do the usual centre console reset and full power off for 5 minutes. But that didn't work. Had another Tesla support chat session and was then told to drive around for 30 min, thinking it will reset and detect my position....nope didn't work. Had a 3rd Tesla support chat session and was just told to schedule another service appointment.

This could have been avoided if they just simply did a quick test drive before sending the car back to me.

So just be aware if you're getting yours done to make sure your GPS works by driving around the area first. Wish I had done that before leaving the service center.

Oh well.

That sux. I thought it was strange that there was not a message that camera's needed to be calibrated. When I got the car back the " calibration clock" was already halfway done. Oh well, they will sort it out..

Reactions: Shaz
Quick update. Issue has been fixed.

On Friday Tesla Lawrence started texting me saying they will release a new firmware to my car. Later that night I got the firmware and updated my car. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue. The location of the car in the Navigation was still at the Tesla Service Centre.

This morning (8:30 am) I got an email from a Service Advisor indicating that they were able to identify the issue and are escalating the issue. Got into the car today at 8pm and found the dashboard was displaying the "Calibrating" message for autopilot, though the Navigation still shows the car is at the Tesla Service Centre. But once the car was driven, the location reset to the correct location.

I am just glad I don't need to go to the service centre again this Thursday. Now let's see what this HW 3 can do.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Quick update. Issue has been fixed.

On Friday Tesla Lawrence started texting me saying they will release a new firmware to my car. Later that night I got the firmware and updated my car. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue. The location of the car in the Navigation was still at the Tesla Service Centre.

This morning (8:30 am) I got an email from a Service Advisor indicating that they were able to identify the issue and are escalating the issue. Got into the car today at 8pm and found the dashboard was displaying the "Calibrating" message for autopilot, though the Navigation still shows the car is at the Tesla Service Centre. But once the car was driven, the location reset to the correct location.

I am just glad I don't need to go to the service centre again this Thursday. Now let's see what this HW 3 can do.

That's great! Have you got the latest software yet with the stopping at traffic lights and stop signs? I'm still waiting for that

That's great! Have you got the latest software yet with the stopping at traffic lights and stop signs? I'm still waiting for that

Unfortunately, no I don't have the update as I was looking for that option in the Autopilot menu. I'm currently on 2020.20.1. So I did some looking around on the internet and found on the official Tesla forum one person reporting that they have this function (they have MCU1 and HW3) and all that was needed was some sort of navigation map update. I'm assuming this person is in the U.S.
Hopefully us MCU1'ers will get that update to try it out in Canada.

Reactions: Dutchie
Just looked it up again and the post was here: MCU1 & FSD | Tesla
You have to scroll to June 10th.

Attached a screenshot.
MCU1FSD.jpg

Unfortunately, no I don't have the update as I was looking for that option in the Autopilot menu. I'm currently on 2020.20.1. So I did some looking around on the internet and found on the official Tesla forum one person reporting that they have this function (they have MCU1 and HW3) and all that was needed was some sort of navigation map update. I'm assuming this person is in the U.S.
Hopefully us MCU1'ers will get that update to try it out in Canada.

You are not missing out on much as the novelty wears out in about 5 mins. It's not just having to green light the car every time you pass through an intersection but the actual stopping is not very gradual. It likes to go almost full speed until the last second and then use friction brakes.

Has anyone gotten their dashcam to record on USB?

Since getting the HW3 upgrade I bought the Samsung T5 portable ssd drive 500GB. I formatted to FAT32 and made a root directory named Tesla am. Plugged it in and the car does not detect the USB hard drive. I see the light turned on on the usb hard drive so I know it's on and plugged in properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Has anyone gotten their dashcam to record on USB?

Since getting the HW3 upgrade I bought the Samsung T5 portable ssd drive 500GB. I formatted to FAT32 and made a root directory named Tesla am. Plugged it in and the car does not detect the USB hard drive. I see the light turned on on the usb hard drive so I know it's on and plugged in properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
No problem here, I use ADATA SD700 256GB, format it to exFAT, and made a root directory named TeslaCam (case sensitive).

• Informative
try to format it to exFAT instead of FAT32, see if it work out for you.
Yeah I tried that as well didn't work. I also tried to partition the drive to be less than 256 GB and leave the rest unallocated. Formatted to FAT32 and exFAT and tried both but car would still not detect hard drive.

So I found a 32 GB thumb drive formatted it to FAT32 and what's interesting is that the car detected that but gave me the message to format the thumb drive in order for the dashcam recording to work. So I formatted it to exFAT and the thumb drive worked.

So I guess Samsung Portable SSD T5 500 GB are not compatible with MCU 1. Though if anybody did get theirs to work, it would be great to hear what they did to make it work.

For now il just go with the 32 GB thumb drive.

Luckily I got the SSD drive on sale from Costco lol.

Yeah I tried that as well didn't work. I also tried to partition the drive to be less than 256 GB and leave the rest unallocated. Formatted to FAT32 and exFAT and tried both but car would still not detect hard drive.

So I found a 32 GB thumb drive formatted it to FAT32 and what's interesting is that the car detected that but gave me the message to format the thumb drive in order for the dashcam recording to work. So I formatted it to exFAT and the thumb drive worked.

So I guess Samsung Portable SSD T5 500 GB are not compatible with MCU 1. Though if anybody did get theirs to work, it would be great to hear what they did to make it work.

For now il just go with the 32 GB thumb drive.

Luckily I got the SSD drive on sale from Costco lol.
This issue has been discussed here previously:
SSD not being recognized in my model 3

Something to do with security mode been enabled on Samsung T5.

• Informative
Just a quick update, downloaded the Samsung application that disables and enables security mode. I found that the application detected my drive to have security mode disabled. So just to be sure, I turned it on , assigned a password then turned off security. I formatted to exFAT and FAT32 again and both times the drive was still not detected.

Thanks for your help though, the tip for using ADATA worked for me.

Attachments

• 20200624_105623.jpg
    20200624_105623.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 47
So just curious, do you guys also get pixelated video whenever the car moves? It would get clear video maybe a few seconds then continues to be pixelated. Only when the car is stationary is it clear.
I am guessing this is normal?
I get nothing like that. I’d suspect you’ve got a memory/bandwidth issue there. Definitely flag that for service to have a look at.

• Informative
Just a quick update, downloaded the Samsung application that disables and enables security mode. I found that the application detected my drive to have security mode disabled. So just to be sure, I turned it on , assigned a password then turned off security. I formatted to exFAT and FAT32 again and both times the drive was still not detected.

Thanks for your help though, the tip for using ADATA worked for me.

Why don't you let the car format the drive? Look in the menu, it does and makes all sub folders automatically.

Why don't you let the car format the drive? Look in the menu, it does and makes all sub folders automatically.
Car needs to first detect the USB drive first in order to format it. Otherwise, the option to format it from within the MCU menu is greyed out which was exactly what was happening to me. I tried different drive formats in order to trigger that option so the car can format it but none worked and the car did not detect the USB drive. I can also confirm that power was being sent to the USB drive as the USB drive light was turned on.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert